xkcd makes me sad

This one thing I know: there are a lot of Yankees fans out there who know how to pronounce my name.

(And a few Tigers and Red Sox fans, too.)

figmentPez

Staff member

Alt Text:
Comes with a 50-lb sack of gender changers, and also an add-on device with a voltage selector and a zillion circular center pin DC adapter tips so you can power any of those devices from the 90s.

Still missing:
- XLR
- MIDI / Game Port / DA-15
- Displayport
- BNC
- Several varieties of serial port (DE-9, DIN-8, RS-422, etc.)
- SATA / eSATA

I would like to take this moment to also direct your attention to Sonic840's excellent computer connector chart over on deviantART.
Computer_hardware_poster_1_7_by_Sonic840.png.jpeg

You can see the much better, higher-resolution copy by jumping over to the source page.

Also, the box will need S/PDIF, optical audio, a split between FireWire 400/800/1600/3200, BNC Video, Thicknet (10Base-2), AUI, AAUI, HD15 video, Wifi transceiver, IR transceiver, ADB, PS/2*, SCSI HD-30...

...I'm thinking this would be a much bigger project than originally anticipated.

--Patrick
*Oops, nevermind. I thought he was referring to the video console in his image, not the peripheral bus.

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
Its also a metaphor for how awesome it is, or was. The internet would not exist without the VM compiler stuff that Java does (and other software now does much better.)

Dave

Staff member
I like the flavor text:

They work even better if you take them with our experimental placebo booster, which I keep in the same bottle.

True for a lot of crappy beers; not true at all for a lot of better beers. To each their own and some people just have a different range of tastes they respond to. But me, personally, I can say I really do enjoy a lot of good beers on their own rights.

Meh, most beer DOES taste bad, but I'll never say I drink beer because it tastes good. I have beers that I prefer to drink if I I'm going to be drinking something for a few hours. This is probably the reason I'm not a beer snob--it was never about the taste in the first place. In fact, I largely agree with Jun on the taste of alcohol and would probably be better off with a really fruity/sweet wine, but not that I'll ever admit that to her.

It's an acquired taste. I still remember my first beer and how terrible it was and to a certain extent I can still taste what I didn't like the first time.

But I genuinely do like beer maybe not to the extent that I can necessarily tell you that this one is hoppy and this one has had special spices added to the batch at a certain point of fermentation but I can tell what's a good beer and what is swill.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can think of a few things that tasted bad to me as a teenager that now taste good. Beer is one of them. Broccoli is another.

I can think of a few things that tasted bad to me as a teenager that now taste good. Beer is one of them. Broccoli is another.
Spinach. Though I think the reason I hated it as a kid was because it always either came from a can or was boiled into mush. Nowadays I'd prefer to have spinach replace the iceberg lettuce in almost every sandwich/burger I eat.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Spinach. Though I think the reason I hated it as a kid was because it always either came from a can or was boiled into mush. Nowadays I'd prefer to have spinach replace the iceberg lettuce in almost every sandwich/burger I eat.

--Patrick
Kale! Oh my god it makes every soup better! I used to hate it so much!

There are beers I like and beers I don't. In Colorado I have so many beers to choose from. SO MANY. Too bad I don't really drink. [emoji14]

figmentPez

Staff member
Maybe it had something to do with being in my 30s before I had my first beer, but I liked beer from my first one.

Necronic

Staff member
Huh, see I feel like almost every beer tastes great. Nice cool yeasty refreshment. Polished off a bunch of Tecate last night while grilling fajitas. I just couldn't imagine another way of doing things.

...I may be an alcoholic.

figmentPez

Staff member

Alt text:
"Wait, so in this version is Frankenstein also the doctor's name?" "No, he's just 'The Doctor'."