[Movies] X-Men: Days of Future Past

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

MovieBob wasn't crazy about it. He liked it, but not as much as First Class. He notes that the series of movies have never moved away from the Charles vs. Magneto thing, which I don't think he's entirely wrong.

Still, it sounds like it's good enough to at least see in theatres. I think I've said before that I'm not the biggest X-Fan, so I'm not in a huge rush to see it.
I really don't blame them for not doing it... all the interesting stories may have included dinosaurs, going into space, and other weirdness, but that might not translate to the screen so well. Now that shit was hella awesome on the TV show, but as a movie I'd have some doubts.

Honestly, I think we're going to get House of M next and they will use that to reboot the movies. Then maybe we can get some weird shit like the Savage Land.

I really don't blame them for not doing it... all the interesting stories may have included dinosaurs, going into space, and other weirdness, but that might not translate to the screen so well. Now that shit was hella awesome on the TV show, but as a movie I'd have some doubts.

Honestly, I think we're going to get House of M next and they will use that to reboot the movies. Then maybe we can get some weird shit like the Savage Land.
...If you see it, stick around for the post-credits scene. You'll learn what they'll do next.

So how do they explain Sentinels existing since the 70s?
I have not seen the movie yet, but from what I understand from talking with people...
The future Sentinels are built sometime in the future of the existing X-Men timeline. When Wolvarine goes back in time, he alters history to such a point that the Sentinel program is accelerated rather then cancelled, leading to the ones built in the 70s that appear in the movie.

Actually, it's more like...

the Sentinels don't show up right away. Rather, when Mystique manages to assassinate Bolivar Trask, they capture her and perform experiments on her. These experiments allow them to design more advanced Sentinels, ones that can adapt to various effects and mutant powers. They aren't launched for years, but once they do, they cause the bad future featured in the trailers.

Non-spoiler: The futuristic adaptive Sentinels don't appear until later in the timeline. The more traditional-looking Sentinels show up in 1973 due to advanced action as a result of the plot.

Well, wasn't expecting to be excited for the next X movie after watching this, but man this was pretty good. Quicksilver was actually pretty great, though you don't see a whole lot of him.

Watched it. It was good but god do I hate the time warp crutch storylines.

Couple of awesome moments, dragged on in the middle lots of continuity holes (of course). All in all a decent movie.

Kinda makes the first 3 pointless.

Also, a whole bunch of scenes of "Paris" is actually old port Montreal... where Adam and I watched a specific scene.

GasBandit

Staff member
Canada's so much cheaper to film in. I remember how "Rumble in the Bronx," aside from a few establishing shots, was filmed in Vancouver.

We get at least about a dozen films in Montreal. They always seem to film at the old port (which is very French-like).

Just last week, my wife took a picture of Joseph Gordon-Levitt from her office who was filming on the street.

Watched it. It was good but god do I hate the time warp crutch storylines.
You can't really say it's a crutch for this movie seeing as it's based on one of the most prominent X-Men stories of all time.[DOUBLEPOST=1401584808,1401584762][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't know if it's just because we've had so many bad X-Men movies, but I loved the hell out of this one.

I don't know if it's just because we've had so many bad X-Men movies, but I loved the hell out of this one.
I would image it's because DoFP is not only much better than several other movies in the franchise, it actually erases them from existence.

Yeah, I like how the whole movie ends up being a big old screw you from Brian Singer about the movies he didn't make. It basically says, X3 and Origins sucked, so guess what... never happened.

Also, in universe movie retcon. The superhero movie genre really is becoming just like the source material.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I like how the whole movie ends up being a big old screw you from Brian Singer about the movies he didn't make. It basically says, X3 and Origins sucked, so guess what... never happened.

Also, in universe movie retcon. The superhero movie genre really is becoming just like the source material.

Actually, it doesn't preclude Origins:Wolverine. Perhaps it won't happen exactly like it, but when "past" James Howlett wakes up, he won't remember anything else. Post-vietnam Sabretooth will still be coming after him, and Stryker's still out there doing Project X - though I suppose it's possible that Mystique runs interference since she has "possession" of him now.

But it does retcon/erase X2, X3, and probably The Wolverine.

I don't see how it erases X2. It still ends with the image of the Phoenix in the water, so there's no reason Jean doesn't come back.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't see how it erases X2. It still ends with the image of the Phoenix in the water, so there's no reason Jean doesn't come back.
Because X2 takes place before wolverine returns from the past, and the events of X2 have not taken place. Phoenix is, however of course, part of the Jean Gray character arc, so it may figure in somehow yet.

Because X2 takes place before wolverine returns from the past, and the events of X2 have not taken place. Phoenix is, however of course, part of the Jean Gray character arc, so it may figure in somehow yet.
By that logic, it also erases the first movie. Because the first two were Brian Singers' movies, I'm pretty sure he's keeping the events of those two films as cannon.

GasBandit

Staff member
By that logic, it also erases the first movie. Because the first two were Brian Singers' movies, I'm pretty sure he's keeping the events of those two films as cannon.
Except plainly at least some of the events of the first move have still come to pass. Rogue attends the Xavier school, and Wolverine teaches. It hasn't said explicitly that magneto still tried to use Rogue's powers to mutate others, so that part may not have happened.

(Also, canon with 1 N means "accepted as part of the story," with 2 Ns means artillery)

That's why I said Origins probably still happened - wolverine still gets his adamantium no doubt, and obviously young Scott Summers is rescued from Project X.

Oh god, I made a spelling error.

Yeah, with the timeline change thing, every event from all the movies could or could not have happened with the exception of the death of Scott Summers.

Logically, the timeline shifted enough that all of the movies are affected. It's just that DoFP went out of its way to show us that X-Men 3 didn't happen (and to a lesser extent the first Wolverine movie.)

I mean, they've always played fast and loose with continuity, this movie gives them a great opportunity to rewrite things in a way that doesn't suck :p

Bryan Singer should be the only one allowed to write/direct a Wolverine movie. He did a great job with Logan in this movie. And the best Wolverine scene of the franchise was X-Men 2 when Stryker's men invade the mansion.

I do wish we would have gotten one future scene of Wolverine tearing apart a sentinel with his adamantium claws.

Just got back from seeing it. While I don't think it was as good as First Class (arguably the best of the franchise), it's pretty darn close. It's not without its faults, of course. Quicksilver was pretty awesome, but his appearance felt really tacked on alongside the rest of the plot. It was like, "Look, here he is! He's doing really awesome stuff! And for some reason, won't be riding along for the rest of the movie!" At least it didn't feel even remotely as forced as Gambit's appearance in Wolverine's first movie. At least here, he served a good and useful purpose, even if his exclusion from the rest of the film didn't make sense.

Gonna put the rest behind a spoiler.
Absolutely LOVED the unexpected cameos at the end. I honestly didn't expect them at all. I'd heard Kelsey Grammar was going to make a quick cameo and kind of saw that coming - even if it still made me giddy. But Scott and Jean? Didn't expect that at all. That was a really welcome surprise. When they showed Jean from behind, I thought for sure it would be a fake-out and have Rachel Summers instead. But then Scott appeared, too? Awesome. Really pleasant surprises. I won't lie. I got a little teary eyed at the reunion. Goes to show I still actually give a damn about these characters, even a little. Not sure if that's the strength of the previous movies, the strength of this one, or nostalgia. Maybe a mix of the three.

And honestly, even though we all knew how it was going to end, the final action scenes still had me on the edge of my seat. Great action, great effects, and great acting from the guys who you know always bring the goods. Seriously, Fassbender and McAvoy were as brilliant, if not better, than last time around. They're on par with Stewart and McKellen in those roles, I think, and possibly better in some respects. And surprisingly, while he had a big presence in the movie, Wolverine was more of a background player for most of this. Yeah, he was in most scenes, but he wasn't the driving force behind the plot. He was mostly there to help set things in motion while Magneto, Xavier, and Mystique did most of the heavy lifting (literally, in Magneto's case).
So yeah, overall? Pretty great. As good as First Class? Don't think so, but it's a comfortable second, with X-2 being a close third.

I he-sploosh for Fassbender.

I liked it and it didn't suffer from as much clusterfuckedness as I thought it would.

It has some very convenient plot niggles here and there, but otherwise it's great. I do like that it just straight gives the finger to X3.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

It wasn't bad but there was so much of "This is happening now, no we aren't going to explain it, you either get on board or get left behind."
In what possible way did it make sense to not have Quicksilver come with you to Paris? You can't show someone doing what he did and then just say "Hey great work... alright, see ya later!"

I guess Kitty can send people's consciousness back in time now because someone had to? Why have it be her beyond she's been established. They threw like 4 new mutants at us and never really established them so why not make one of them able to do it instead of arbitrarily shoving a new power unrelated to her previous ones at her. I get that they evolve and can gain new powers but they are typically related to their previous ones. I guess she walked them through the walls of reality and time? Did Bishop teach her how to do that?

I know there is this accepted theory going around that Xavier takes control of his comatose twins body at the end of of X3, but really in the context of the films he's just back and beyond Logan's moderate surprise at the end of The Wolverine in the airport no one really seems to be concerned a dead man is rolling again. Yes there is a time gap between those movies and the post sentinel era scenes in this movie but it just strikes me as odd it's never addressed. I get that they were closing to ignore much of X3, which would have included has death, but they can't have dismissed all of it otherwise there is no big relief when everyone is back at the end.

Plot canyons aside, it was fun to watch. I'm just surprised by the nearly universally glowing ratings it's receiving. Whole thing just felt messy and convenient.

Am I the only one put off by the fights as well? I realize they are choreographed and done in steps but it feels like I can watch the actors going "and punch, now spin to the left, duck, lunge, twist, stare, hold it, release, and high kick."

Last edited by a moderator:
That was me. Must have hit post as anonymous. I can actually never remember what the spoiler tag is and nearly every time have to go back and edit it. The auto corrected words and those tags being like they are and unable to edit them is kind of driving me mad.

Edit : thanks @Dave