[PC Game] World of Warcraft: Catch All Thread

I actually like having to grind for a new race. It makes it so that when you go to that race's starting area there's less congestion. Theoretically at least.
No such luck here. The allied races start at 20 and send you to Ogrimmar or Stormwind to start from the Command Board.

I'm confused by all these articles saying Sylvanas "turned evil." Was there some point, post turning in to a Banshee, that she wasn't evil? I mean, maybe it's more overt now, but I'm pretty sure she was never really a good guy.

I'm confused by all these articles saying Sylvanas "turned evil." Was there some point, post turning in to a Banshee, that she wasn't evil? I mean, maybe it's more overt now, but I'm pretty sure she was never really a good guy.
Many considered her an anti-hero, aka she was not evil but she was not really "good" either. She just used whatever she had to get the job done, but when the chips were down she did what was best for the Horde (aka, saving the Horde leaders at the Broken Shore before they were all overrun and killed)

The recent attack on Teldrassil moved her square from anti-hero into evil villain territory however, as she had won the War of Thorns and only had to occupy Teldrassil as she planned. Instead, a dying night elf triggered her by feeling sorry for her, saying she can never kill hope. This made Sylvanas turn the elf's head and burn down Teldrassil simply to spite her pity.

This is worst then Garrosh when he blew up Theramore, because Garrosh at least felt the attack was a tactical necessity even if brutal, but Sylvanas burned down Teldrassil purely out of spite for someone daring to pity her.

Alternatively, burning down Teldrassil was tactically necessary, if only to prevent the Night Elves from ever trying to come and take it back and resume the Azerite shipments. The Humans have stopped at nothing to recover Lordaeron from the Forsaken, even though the Forsaken in this case ARE the former citizens and lords of Lordaeron and -they- were the ones to recover it from the Scourge in the first place, but suddenly it's okay for the Alliance to commit genocide against the Forsaken to recover a capital they haven't set foot in for damn near 20 years? Sylvanas probably didn't want another god damn lifetime of people trying to take the city back, especially people she actually sees as threat.

Regardless, none of Sylvanas's followers did ANYTHING to stop her. Saurfang didn't so much as object (WTF man?) and neither did Nathanos (but he doesn't give a fuck).

Alternatively, burning down Teldrassil was tactically necessary, if only to prevent the Night Elves from ever trying to come and take it back and resume the Azerite shipments.
Not exactly. It was explained that Sylvanas didn't want to destroy the Night Elves, as it would just embolden the Alliance to counter attack. She wanted to occupy Teldrassil, because then she could use all the civilian survivors as hostages, hoping the death of Malfurion would make them scared and docile. The Alliance wouldn't attack the tree, since it would be very fortified by the Horde, and they wouldn't have a decent staging ground outside of Azuremyst, considering it's implied the Horde has mostly taken Kalimdor by this point. By destroying Teldrassil instead, she removed her ability to use them as a political barrier, unable to threaten their executions should the Alliance invade. It was a much worst tactical situation, and is what leads to her losing the Undercity to the Alliance.

The Humans have stopped at nothing to recover Lordaeron from the Forsaken, even though the Forsaken in this case ARE the former citizens and lords of Lordaeron and -they- were the ones to recover it from the Scourge in the first place, but suddenly it's okay for the Alliance to commit genocide against the Forsaken to recover a capital they haven't set foot in for damn near 20 years? Sylvanas probably didn't want another god damn lifetime of people trying to take the city back, especially people she actually sees as threat
You do realize the Scarlet Crusade isn't the Alliance, right? The Alliance has mostly abandoned the northern lands outside of Gilneas, and an attempt to rebuild Andorhal which didn't really work out. The rest is run by neutral parties and the Forsaken. The Scarlet Crusade was the only antagonistic outlier and they were wiped out by both the Horde and Alliance.

Also, my guess is you didn't read the latest novel, which actually went into detail about the diplomacy being attempted by the Humans and the Forsaken, with the governing body of Undercity (The Desolate Council, put into place while Sylvanas was leading from Orgrimmar) even going so far as setting up of a meeting between both living and dead family members. It was going so well that Sylvanas ended up executing the Desolate Council and then the citizens that went to the gathering, as she worried giving them hope of a life with their living family again would turn them against her (the fact Calia Menethil showed up again didn't help). She spared the living people though, purely so Anduin wouldn't prematurely start the war before she had a chance to scheme and make the first move.

Only now after the burning of Teldrassil, has Anduin decided to invade the Undercity as retaliation.

Also, my guess is you didn't read the latest novel, which actually went into detail about the diplomacy being attempted by the Humans and the Forsaken, with the governing body of Undercity (The Desolate Council, put into place while Sylvanas was leading from Orgrimmar) even going so far as setting up of a meeting between both living and dead family members. It was going so well that Sylvanas ended up executing the Desolate Council and then the citizens that went to the gathering, as she worried giving them hope of a life with their living family again would turn them against her (the fact Calia Menethil showed up again didn't help). She spared the living people though, purely so Anduin wouldn't prematurely start the war before she had a chance to scheme and make the first move.
I didn't. This sounds cool as fuck and I might pick it up now.

Dave

Staff member
There's a new x-pac coming out tomorrow. And I have no want or need to get it. I felt a bit of an itch, but nothing pressing. I think I might have overcome my addiction.

There's a new x-pac coming out tomorrow. And I have no want or need to get it. I felt a bit of an itch, but nothing pressing. I think I might have overcome my addiction.
Went live about 2 1/2 hours ago. I'll wait until I've at least finished breakfast before checking in.

I'm... intrigued by the new unlockable races. I've always wanted to play a Dark Iron Dwarf.
They were going to be what got me back into the game. I even pre-ordered the expansion with the idea of making a new character as one of the allied races (some were available before the expansion) and leveling casually until release. But when I got in, I discovered they were locked behind rep grinds, and fuck if I ever want to do rep grinds again.

They were going to be what got me back into the game. I even pre-ordered the expansion with the idea of making a new character as one of the allied races (some were available before the expansion) and leveling casually until release. But when I got in, I discovered they were locked behind rep grinds, and fuck if I ever want to do rep grinds again.
Believe it or not, their were people who had the races unlocked before the expansion hit. Ether not all of them had rep grinds or some of the rep grinds were doable without going to the new zones.

I'm honestly just getting a Demon Hunter to 110 and then zooming for the reps. I don't care about the expansion, just the new races.

Believe it or not, their were people who had the races unlocked before the expansion hit. Ether not all of them had rep grinds or some of the rep grinds were doable without going to the new zones.

I'm honestly just getting a Demon Hunter to 110 and then zooming for the reps. I don't care about the expansion, just the new races.
4 of the 6 new races were available and had grinds in open zones, like Argus or Suramar. But as someone who had no rep with any of those because I hadn't been playing, I wasn't about to spend 2 weeks on a character I didn't want to play anymore just to grind rep to unlock a character I did.

Yeah Nightborne, Void Elves, Highmountain Tauren, and Lightforged Draenei were all unlockable since the last patch of Legion. Dark Iron Dwarf and Mag'har Orcs will soon be unlockable too, and that will be followed up by Zandalari and Kul Tiran allied races sometime soon. Yes they do require reps, but it seems Allied races are what Blizzard wants to use as a longer term draw.

You needed Nightfallen exalted to finish the first Pathfinder achievement to get Legion flying. So I'm guessing most players at least unlocked Nightborne.

Alternatively, burning down Teldrassil was tactically necessary, if only to prevent the Night Elves from ever trying to come and take it back and resume the Azerite shipments. The Humans have stopped at nothing to recover Lordaeron from the Forsaken, even though the Forsaken in this case ARE the former citizens and lords of Lordaeron and -they- were the ones to recover it from the Scourge in the first place, but suddenly it's okay for the Alliance to commit genocide against the Forsaken to recover a capital they haven't set foot in for damn near 20 years? Sylvanas probably didn't want another god damn lifetime of people trying to take the city back, especially people she actually sees as threat.

Regardless, none of Sylvanas's followers did ANYTHING to stop her. Saurfang didn't so much as object (WTF man?) and neither did Nathanos (but he doesn't give a fuck).
What?!!? The Alliance attacked Lordaeron directly because of the unprovoked attack on Teldrassil. They weren't targeting the undead specifically, they were attacking the city in retaliation to an act of war.

What?!!? The Alliance attacked Lordaeron directly because of the unprovoked attack on Teldrassil. They weren't targeting the undead specifically, they were attacking the city in retaliation to an act of war.
"Unprovoked" is pushing it. The Alliance was using Teldrassil as a port to export Azerite from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms for god knows what. The only way to stop the shipments was to close the port and ensure the Alliance wouldn't come back. It's sort of a Pearl Harbor situation; Americans see it as unprovoked attack, but Japan's perspective has always been that American oil embargos were slowly killing them and knocking out Pearl Harbor was vital for their further survival in the war (a war American wasn't in, despite selling China shittons of war supplies to fight Japan with).

Ultimately, the Horde had reason to take the port, if only because the Alliance was stockpiling Azerite for whatever purpose. Burning down the tree just made sure they wouldn't come back.

"Unprovoked" is pushing it. The Alliance was using Teldrassil as a port to export Azerite from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms for god knows what. The only way to stop the shipments was to close the port and ensure the Alliance wouldn't come back. It's sort of a Pearl Harbor situation; Americans see it as unprovoked attack, but Japan's perspective has always been that American oil embargos were slowly killing them and knocking out Pearl Harbor was vital for their further survival in the war (a war American wasn't in, despite selling China shittons of war supplies to fight Japan with).

Ultimately, the Horde had reason to take the port, if only because the Alliance was stockpiling Azerite for whatever purpose. Burning down the tree just made sure they wouldn't come back.
The alliance was not actively using it as a shipping port, Windrunner preemptively attacked to stop shipping of Azerite before the Alliance even fully knew what it was. It was a totally paranoid move as Alliance-Horde relations were not tense at the time and as Scythe mentions, there were even talks of some Forsaken rejoining their families Lordearon. Preemptive attacks are acts of war, and the Alliance was in their full right to retaliate.

Fuck Sylvanas and fuck the Horde!

Last edited:
This isn't any different than any other expansion though. You spend the previous expansion gearing up and then when the new expansion drops, everything gets replaced by greens within a couple of levels.
I'm sad to see my legendary cloak go. With the Dreadlord's Deceit, the talent, and the PvP talent, Fan of Knives was a freaking buzzsaw up to level 116.

That image also ignores the fact that we use all legendary power from our weapons to cancel out the dark magic radiating out from the sword of Sargeras. All the artifact weapons lose all their power and basically become like any other weapon.

But yes, it's also funny that we took on an intergalactic demon legion and now we are getting beat up by pirates that are "stronger", that's just how rpgs work.

One of the things I liked about EQ that I always hated about WoW was that if you were a high end raider, your gear would last through the next phase of leveling and be entry tier at max level. It meant that the gear gap between levels was lower, but you didn't have to sit around worrying about gear while just trying to level as fast as possible. Of course, EQ was also all about the grind and didn't really give a fuck about story so...

Dave

Staff member
I always wished that equipment leveled as you did. So if you found a sword or something you liked you just keep it and it gets more powerful.