[PC Game] World of Warcraft: Catch All Thread

I'm not so sure we'll be seeing as many level boosters as people think. I'm sure there will be a few, but $60 is a pretty big chunk of change. When people used RAF to get level boosts, It came to maybe half of that. A vanilla game plus a months pad time came to $25, maybe $30. Plus you could get more than one character out of it.

I can't decide what class I want to boost to 90. First world problems.

I have a death knight and a monk that I'm leveling the normal way and are almost there.

With how easy 1-60 is, it's definitely worth it. 60+ seems to be where people get hung up. At least that's where I tend to give up on my alts

I love Northrend. Love it!! Cata and Pandaria kill me. I would totally use my free thing to get a level 90 with professions from 60. 60 is easily done.

Everyone gets a free one too right?

I mean how many more are needed?
Depends on the person. I knew one guy that leveled up four paladins, all of them human. The reason? So he wouldn't have to pay for respecs or worry about multiple gear sets. He has a tank, a healer, a PVE Ret, and a PVP Ret. Some people can be a little crazy like that...

<- Coming from a guy with 20+ 80s

Currently:
11 level 90s (one of each class and 2 Shaman)
6 of them Alliance
5 of them Horde

Currently leveling a couple of alternate Faction level 90s (My Mage is Horde so I'm leveling an Alliance one), so by the time WoD actually comes out, I'll probably be around 14-15 level 90s between the two factions. I have no clue what I'd do with a character boost.

I am getting the CE, so sadly I won't be able to use my boost till the expansion releases. Planning to use it on my monk, which is the only class I have below 80. Using the boost or paying for a boost on a character I already have past 80 feels like a waste.

My question was more related to the buying of 90s. I have 6 90s now and am working on a few more. I love hunters so I have one each alliance and horde. I love DKs too so my gnome will likely be my next 90. I have no idea what I will do with the boost though. And I really don't know if I would ever buy a 90. Other than holiday mount runs, there is a limit right?

Also you could pre order today for your boost to 90 and upgrade to the CE later for the mount etc. You get credited the price don't you?

Also you could pre order today for your boost to 90 and upgrade to the CE later for the mount etc. You get credited the price don't you?
Not that I have ever read. The only time they did that was when you had the free copy of Diablo 3 from the annual pass awhile back, in which getting the D3 CE converted the free D3 into three free months of WoW. I have never seen anyone credited for owning the normal game then upgrading later to the CE. You got any info that can prove me wrong? Wouldn't mind getting it now for the boost as long as I am not buying the expansion twice.

Not that I have ever read. The only time they did that was when you had the free copy of Diablo 3 from the annual pass awhile back, in which getting the D3 CE converted the free D3 into three free months of WoW. I have never seen anyone credited for owning the normal game then upgrading later to the CE. You got any info that can prove me wrong? Wouldn't mind getting it now for the boost as long as I am not buying the expansion twice.
The battle.net store mentions that you can upgrade to the collector's edition later at reduced price if you've already pre-purchased the standard, but these are only for the digital versions.

I get the physical CE. They don't have a digital CE, only the Digital Deluxe (which only gives you in-game CE items). I want the whole CE including art book and such.

If Cata and Mists are any indicator, I think just buying the expansion for retail price, then buying a CE when Best Buy eventually puts them on clearance for 20 bucks is the most economical way to do it. But with the numbers as shrunken as they are from the last expansion, Blizzard may not overprint the new one as heavily.

If Cata and Mists are any indicator, I think just buying the expansion for retail price, then buying a CE when Best Buy eventually puts them on clearance for 20 bucks is the most economical way to do it. But with the numbers as shrunken as they are from the last expansion, Blizzard may not overprint the new one as heavily.
I walked into my local Walmart months after Mists was released and bought the CE off the shelf.

For whatever reason people don't generally think to check places like WalMart/Target/etc for CE's, I've seen all sorts of different CE games at those places months after release, regardless of popularity.

Fry's is getting pretty scarce around here, there used to be a handful around Escondido/San Diego, but I only know of one or two that're still there.

And now Blizzard is considering leaving flying disabled for the whole expansion. Going to be a whole lot of people quitting the game if that goes through.

And now Blizzard is considering leaving flying disabled for the whole expansion. Going to be a whole lot of people quitting the game if that goes through.
It hasn't really changed from their stance before. WoD will be no flying to start with. We'll see where it goes from there.

They won't do it. TI and other patch areas are different from a main xpac area. They're a lot smaller and can work with no flying. Give it time, they'll relent.

What would be the point of all the flying mount rewards, including the CE? Or, even worse, the ones people paid real money for?

There's no way they'd get away with keeping a decent sub base if flying died out.

They are of the opinion that flying "defeats" the gameplay, since it allows people to bypass dangers. What I don't understand is that is well and good when it comes to leveling, after awhile getting dazed off your mount by a random oozling that decided it liked you is not good game play either.

P.S.

One thing I also never understood is why they don't just make "flight disabling" quests. If the issue is it causes people to bypass gameplay then just make it so the quests you really want people doing on the ground disable flight for the duration of the quest. You pick up the quest, you are grounded, you turn the quest in, you get flying back. It's not like adding a debuff on quest pickup is a new or strange idea, it's been around for ages.

Why this huge push to make everyone deal with it? What is the point? WPVP? Well no thanks, I paid you nearly $100 to get off my PVP server because I am tired of that gameplay.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
How is the Timeless Isle on a PvP server? I've always wondered but not enough to make a toon and try it out.

How is the Timeless Isle on a PvP server? I've always wondered but not enough to make a toon and try it out.
Considering Timeless Isle has a special PVP objective that gives rewards for FFA PVP? Well I guess if you like roving bands ganking you or random people stabbing you in the back while you quest, it's fun. Not so much for everyone else.

One thing I also never understood is why they don't just make "flight disabling" quests. If the issue is it causes people to bypass gameplay then just make it so the quests you really want people doing on the ground disable flight for the duration of the quest. You pick up the quest, you are grounded, you turn the quest in, you get flying back. It's not like adding a debuff on quest pickup is a new or strange idea, it's been around for ages.
That sounds horribly annoying. I'm one of those people that runs around with a full quest log, and to be grounded until you finish them all would be a pain in the butt.

I'm all for bring back the LK model. They need to let players decide what they want to do with their time, not force it on them.

That sounds horribly annoying. I'm one of those people that runs around with a full quest log, and to be grounded until you finish them all would be a pain in the butt.
So instead of waiting to take on the quest you know will ground you, you would be okay with being grounded entirely? I am just coming up with what I think is a better compromise then abolishing flying entirely. The fact they are even considering leaving flying disabled the whole expansion is annoying me to no end.

So instead of waiting to take on the quest you know will ground you, you would be okay with being grounded entirely? I am just coming up with what I think is a better compromise then abolishing flying entirely. The fact they are even considering leaving flying disabled the whole expansion is annoying me to no end.
Think of quests like the legendary quest line that take months to finish. I think it's just a bad solution to a problem we shouldn't be having. Ground us until level cap and let us do what we want from there.

Flying isn't breaking immersion. Doing the same quest over and over again with different words/mob names is what's killing it. The quests with good story lines get noticed, and people will take the time to experience them.

Think of quests like the legendary quest line that take months to finish. I think it's just a bad solution to a problem we shouldn't be having. Ground us until level cap and let us do what we want from there.

Flying isn't breaking immersion. Doing the same quest over and over again with different words/mob names is what's killing it. The quests with good story lines get noticed, and people will take the time to experience them.
I agree with you, but obviously Blizzard thinks we are wrong on this. I think it's all part of dragging the game out more at the cap area, just like all the other junk they are once again trying.

From Bashiok
There's a lot of discussion about flying/not-flying and I'd like to try to sum things up and maybe realign the discussion a bit. Some of the other threads are near-cap, some have really gone down tangents, so I'm just picking this one to throw a reply into. Apologies to the other threads.

We intend to disallow flying while leveling from 90 to 100, and have flying become available again in the first major patch for Warlords of Draenor. No flying while leveling has been the case during Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Mists of Pandaria. We allowed flying during Cataclysm because as those zones were mixed-in with the 1-60 world it just would have been really jarring to dismount you as you fly into Hyjal, etc. but we would have disallowed it for Catalcysm zones as well if there was a reasonable solution there.

Flying trivializes combat. A lot of people like to say we're trying to force world PvP, or that we just really want people to look at the pretty trees we made, but those really aren't the reasons that drive this same decision we've made every expansion. Flying allows you to escape or enter combat at-will. There's a reason why flying isn't allowed in dungeons and raids, or battlegrounds and arenas, and that's because it would trivialize the core mechanic of the game in those areas - combat. For much the same reason it trivializes how content is approached in the outdoor world based on the simple fact that you can lift off and set down wherever you like.

So that's the main reason. But sure there are a lot of other problems it can cause for content design such as zones having to get a lot bigger because flying mounts can travel so quickly (and thus making ground travel in them take much longer), it reduces the impact of elevation within zones, it completely removes the ability for us to pace or present content in any structured way, and in general removes our ability to determine how and when players approach a situation, see a vista or location, or charge into/out-of a combat situation. It just greatly reduces any gameplay we want to create by allowing infinite choice in how content is approached to best suit a player's intention to (usually) avoid that content.

I totally sympathize with people's desire to do that, they want to be efficient and have it be their choice, but we have to balance our intent to create a game against creating a sandbox where anything goes. There's a happy medium there somewhere, but flying mounts in most cases just do too much to undermine too many of our core intentions with the game world, the basis of the game: combat, or guiding players through a game experience, and for those reasons we have continually chosen (when we could) to disallow flying mounts in the 'current' outdoor content. In the past that's meant only while leveling, but in our experiences with the Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle we feel like we can extend that for a bit longer in the new content, and have it be kind of a big deal again once you're able to earn flying in the first big content patch, and in the meantime putting focus on flight paths as well as having some more interesting travel options for players to use.