[PC Game] World of Warcraft: Catch All Thread

5.4 hit the PTR. Don't go to MMO-Champion if you don't want some spoilers...

Patch 5.4 adds Virtual Realms, which will essentially merge lower population realms. This will allow you to keep playing on your current realm, but do arenas, raids, and dungeons with people in your realm group, as well as use a merged Auction House and trade with other players in your realm group.
It looks like they're working on merging low pop servers. I'm not a big fan of it though. It sounds like they'll be creating a new server group just for low-pop servers. You'll be able to join guilds that are a part of that server group, trade, and join guilds. This is going to get horribly confusing real fast with servers, virtual servers, and battle groups all merged through different systems allowing different things. Good to see they're working on it though.

It looks like they're working on merging low pop servers. I'm not a big fan of it though. It sounds like they'll be creating a new server group just for low-pop servers. You'll be able to join guilds that are a part of that server group, trade, and join guilds. This is going to get horribly confusing real fast with servers, virtual servers, and battle groups all merged through different systems allowing different things. Good to see they're working on it though.
Blizzard made it clear long ago that the biggest reason they didn't want to do server merges was because of names. Even if the server only has a couple hundred people, they would have to pick one that becomes "Server B" and when the merger occurs, Server B are the ones forced to change names if they matched with anyone else on the new home Server A. So many people get attached to characters and names this could cause even a small sub drop spike.

This seems to be the way they can get around that problem, by basically allowing all the servers to link up in a massive co-server where you can have Jinkens-ServerA and Jinkens-ServerB much like how the system now handles it for CRZ. Makes me wonder if we soon might not even have servers at all.

As for the content of the patch...

No! Nazgrim! No! Klaxxi! Why must I kill all my friends! Even the Golden Lotus are turning into some bosses for the new raid!

Blizzard made it clear long ago that the biggest reason they didn't want to do server merges was because of names. Even if the server only has a couple hundred people, they would have to pick one that becomes "Server B" and when the merger occurs, Server B are the ones forced to change names if they matched with anyone else on the new home Server A. So many people get attached to characters and names this could cause even a small sub drop spike.

This seems to be the way they can get around that problem, by basically allowing all the servers to link up in a massive co-server where you can have Jinkens-ServerA and Jinkens-ServerB much like how the system now handles it for CRZ. Makes me wonder if we soon might not even have servers at all.
It just sounds like it's going to get overly complicated. Servers that are merged through CRZ are already sharing resources. Just allow everything through servers that are CRZ'd instead of adding another server group.

As for the content of the patch...

No! Nazgrim! No! Klaxxi! Why must I kill all my friends! Even the Golden Lotus are turning into some bosses for the new raid!
I'm ok with it.

Some of our favorites need to get it to really drive home we're fighting our own people in this. Not just going after some new boss. Alliance needs some payback too. Seeing some of our favorite characters go down will help take the sting out of the mana bomb. Also, the Klaxxi are a great fit for joining with the sha of pride. Should be interesting.

Some of our favorites need to get it to really drive home we're fighting our own people in this. Not just going after some new boss. Alliance needs some payback too. Seeing some of our favorite characters go down will help take the sting out of the mana bomb. Also, the Klaxxi are a great fit for joining with the sha of pride. Should be interesting.
One correction.

The Klaxxi don't fight for the Sha. We even spent pretty much all our time in the Dread Wastes specifically fighting the armies of the Mantid who were under control of the Sha of Fear. Due to information on the boss list, we actually kill the Sha of Pride as the final boss of the first wing of the raid, based in the Vale, before we move on to Orgrimmar.

However, considering Garrosh has found the heart of Y'Shaarj, and the fact that once the Sha of Pride is dead the final Sha will be destroyed, it's likely this will cause a reaction that will release Y'Shaarj, who will then possess Garrosh. This is why the Klaxxi come to defend Garrosh, as while they don't like the Sha, they did say if Y'Shaarj ever returned in full, they would stand by his side. This would also explain why Garrosh's "Sha'ified" body has scary yellow eyeballs growing out of him, which is more an Old God thing then a Sha thing.

One correction.

The Klaxxi don't fight for the Sha. We even spent pretty much all our time in the Dread Wastes specifically fighting the armies of the Mantid who were under control of the Sha of Fear. Due to information on the boss list, we actually kill the Sha of Pride as the final boss of the first wing of the raid, based in the Vale, before we move on to Orgrimmar.

However, considering Garrosh has found the heart of Y'Shaarj, and the fact that once the Sha of Pride is dead the final Sha will be destroyed, it's likely this will cause a reaction that will release Y'Shaarj, who will then possess Garrosh. This is why the Klaxxi come to defend Garrosh, as while they don't like the Sha, they did say if Y'Shaarj ever returned in full, they would stand by his side. This would also explain why Garrosh's "Sha'ified" body has scary yellow eyeballs growing out of him, which is more an Old God thing then a Sha thing.
That makes a bit more sense. I was going on the idea that of all the pandaria races, the Klaxxi are probably the most filled with pride and most likely more susceptible to that sha. Not that they necesarilly fight for the sha.

That makes a bit more sense. I was going on the idea that of all the pandaria races, the Klaxxi are probably the most filled with pride and most likely more susceptible to that sha. Not that they necesarilly fight for the sha.

Can't really say anything about the Council, but when it comes to the Paragons they are more about obedience then pride. I am still holding out some hope though that some of the Paragons don't fight for Y'Shaarj, and instead either leave or even help us. I can't really see them pulling off a council fight with 9 bosses for LFR, and we only right now have skills in the files for four of the Paragons in a boss format (Xaril, Skeer, Iyyokuk, and Kil'ruk) while the others so far as absent.

Scratch that, just checked out a bit more info this morning and they found abilities for Kaz'tik and Ka'roz, so looks like they really are going to go all out with the Paragons. The rest likely just don't have skills yet. :(

Kil'ruk, Malik, Korven, and Kaz'tik are my favorites, and I already lost Malik at the end of the Dread Wastes quest lines. I really hope I only lose Kil'ruk in the raid!

Looks like the raid will actually start in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

First four bosses look to be a "section" of the raid, starting with those Golden Lotus guys who really had it coming for all those boring dailies, and finishing up with the Sha of Pride. Based on pure speculation, killing the 7th sha will release/awaken Y'Shaarj, which Garrosh will then start using as a weapon, and will get the Klaxxi to join up with them to defend Y'Shaarj, just as they said they would at the end of the Klaxxi storyline.

After that, looks as if the raid heads to the blockade to deal with Zaela and Nazgrim (and the Iron Juggernaut and Dark Shaman, probably).

Third section of the raid could be under Org for the Spoils of Pandaria (shown in the Ragefire scenario) and Malkorok (who was down there in the Ragefire scenario).

Last section is likely Org proper, with the Paragons and Garrosh.

They have given Garrosh another new regular model. Much like the Night Elf models they added in Cataclysm for some of the heroes, it's likely this new Garrosh model is a precursor to a new orc player model. It even has animations very faithful to the old animations but with extra expressions and general movement (mostly in the hands and face). Thrall also got a new model last expansion but it utilizes animations that were unique to him and not at all similar to the old orc ones.

Looks like the LFR Ilvl requirement for the new raid is 500 on the PTR.
Darn it. I was hoping they would keep it lower so I wouldn't have to keep doing ToT LFR.

Also if anyone here wants to experiance the Golden Lotus faction dailies, you better hurry, because...

They get utterly obliterated in 5.4, nearly the whole faction is dead and the Vale has been nearly destroyed

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it to something like 496. That leaves a bit more wiggle room for alts or people taking their time. I haven't even bothered with ToT yet, I'm trying to get all those damn sigils. I might have to get going on it though.

They're upping the loot droprate in all raids in 5.4, so gearing hopefully won't be too painful. Also of note, a new Island where, apparently

The 4 Spirits of Pandaria are world bosses

I've been wanting to play warcraft 3 for a while now, since I've never played it. Was about to buy it today from the blizzard store, but I don't have my authenticator with me. :mad:

Oh well, the urge will probably pass before I get around to trying to buy it again.

Dave

Staff member
I actually like some of the things done recently. I fracking LOVE the solo instances! There needs to be more stuff like that. I did one last night before my show and I almost didn't want to leave.

Don't think I can do that one with my mage solo, though. He's too squishy.

And on the heels of that, WoW is down to 7.7 mil subscribers. Still incredibly good, but it will most likely keep dropping. The next expansion hasn't even been announced and it's summer, so subs will keep dropping as people get bored with it or make time for other things. It'll be interesting to see what it stabilizes at.

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it to something like 496. That leaves a bit more wiggle room for alts or people taking their time. I haven't even bothered with ToT yet, I'm trying to get all those damn sigils. I might have to get going on it though.
Those sigils are taking forever on my dk!!! I ran every lfr where they drop on her this week and got 2.

I blame all the sub loses on how bitter the player-base has become these days. These issues have always been around, but the break between players seems to only be getting worst. Alliance complain they are not given enough focus, then when they are given a focus they are mad the Horde get to be involved at all. Badcores still complain about LFR taking content away from them, "welfare epics", etc... And now people are raging over those new cosmetic helmets, even when they are just the helm equivalent of all those mounts and pets we have been buying for years.

The toxic environment is going to start weeding the moderates out.

Dave

Staff member
The next x-pac should be, "Return to Vanilla!"

Seriously, though, I think they'd have something if they made a few vanilla servers where everything is just like it was in the beginning. No old-world flying, Alliance has to run through the Barrens to get to friendly territory, etc. They've taken the challenge out of the every day game.

I think it also has to do with just a change in peoples gaming preference. A lot of the people who have been with the game since the start are older now, and don't have as much time or patience for an MMO. The people who joined during the peak weren't super attached to the game. They had their fun and left for the next shiny game fad.

With the reset of the Titan project, there might be an opening for a different MMO to take WoW's place. I don't know that WoW can really hold on for at least another 3 years for them to get that done. Either way, I don't think any game will ever see the numbers WoW saw at it's peak.[DOUBLEPOST=1374863918][/DOUBLEPOST]

Seriously, though, I think they'd have something if they made a few vanilla servers where everything is just like it was in the beginning. No old-world flying, Alliance has to run through the Barrens to get to friendly territory, etc. They've taken the challenge out of the every day game.
As much as I'd like that, it won't happen. I really do miss the days of having to actually come together as a group and work to finish a dungeon. Knowing that you may not be able to get another group together to finish it. Now it's hard to get people to stay awake during them.

I would re-subscribe in an instant.

Vanilla WoW was terrible, I hate to say it. 40man raiding? Useless quest rewards. Long questlines with no resolution? Quests that span continents with no reason or purpose? Raid bosses dropping gear that gets melted week after week?

Rose colored glasses I think.

Gotta agree with Gilgamesh. Vanilla and BC were my favorite times in WoW, but it was for the people I played with more than anything. If I didn't have people to hang out with, both would have sucked.

I loved the long quest lines that spanned the continent. Like Linkens quest line in Un'Goro.[DOUBLEPOST=1374867219][/DOUBLEPOST]It's more personal preference than rose colored glasses. The game is definitely more accessible and more polished now, there's no arguing that. Some people just prefer certain aspects of the game that most prefer to not deal with. LFD, LFR, flying, linear zones, faster and easier leveling, etc. All those things are nice and make life easier, but personally I liked the way the game played without them.

Vanilla WoW was terrible, I hate to say it. 40man raiding? Useless quest rewards. Long questlines with no resolution? Quests that span continents with no reason or purpose? Raid bosses dropping gear that gets melted week after week?

Rose colored glasses I think.

Nope, it's because I enjoyed the PvP and old Vanilla WoW had the most exciting, world spanning, city raiding, goblin zepplin attacking PvP that has ever been in the game.

They won't do vanilla servers anyways. They don't expect a lot of people to join a server where content will never come out in the future. Imagine running the original Naxxramas for 8 years as the top tier content. "shudder"

Nope, it's because I enjoyed the PvP and old Vanilla WoW had the most exciting, world spanning, city raiding, goblin zepplin attacking PvP that has ever been in the game.
Um, all that PvP is still there. The reason why it's not done anymore is because of the honor/dishonor changes. So people don't do it anymore. That's not a call to go back to Vanilla WoW, that's asking for a single feature change.

Um, all that PvP is still there. The reason why it's not done anymore is because of the honor/dishonor changes. So people don't do it anymore. That's not a call to go back to Vanilla WoW, that's asking for a single feature change.

It's not the same and it most certainly is not still there. From all the gear changes, class changes, level disparities guard buffs and PvP zone changes it's not even remotely the same. I played from the beta till right before the first expansion (and then played for a few months maybe 6-8 months ago)... so I do actually know that things are not the same.

It's not the same and it most certainly is not still there. From all the gear changes, class changes, level disparities guard buffs and PvP zone changes it's not even remotely the same. I played from the beta till right before the first expansion (and then played for a few months maybe 6-8 months ago)... so I do actually know that things are not the same.
I also played since day 1 and you're right, it's not the same, it's better balanced now.

Gilgamesh said:
I also played since day 1 and you're right, it's not the same, it's better balanced now.
lol, World PvP is lame as shit now unless you are max level, or can guarantee you will only ever be around people that are your level. Level scaling is so ridiculous that it's really not that fun at all.

Really? I remember back in the day when two level 45's could conceivably still have a chance against a level 60. Tell me what happens when a level 90 fights with a level 75 now?

I'm not going to say anything about better balanced because you're probably right but seriously... the world PvP is nothing like it used to be... at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1374872659][/DOUBLEPOST]
lol, World PvP is lame as shit now unless you are max level, or can guarantee you will only ever be around people that are your level. Level scaling is so ridiculous that it's really not that fun at all.

Remember at lower levels when you could still win through sheer numbers against a higher level character? Fun times.

Is World PVP lame now? Yep. Why? Because there's better options for it such as Arena and BGs.

Is World PVP lame now? Yep. Why? Because there's better options for it such as Arena and BGs.
But you also lose a lot of the community feeling WoW used to have. We have lost that in favor of convenience. Some people like it better this way, others not so much.