Won't somebody please think of the children??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missouri passed a law that forbids teachers from contacting students directly on the internet (or "non-work sites"). This has been called the "Facebook Law," since the main goal was to limit teachers contacting students via Facebook. Ostensibly this is to protect students from pedophile teachers. In reality this law is a giant pain in the ass for educators.

Now, a woman is suing the state because she can't even talk to her own kids on Facebook.

Apparently the law doesn't discriminate between students at all. Any teacher is forbidden from contacting any student (defined as a child under 18 attending or formerly attended the school), not just the students in their classroom. Predictably the ACLU is supporting the teacher in her quest to repeal the law. Meanwhile, on the opposition side we have an "expert" who claims "10 percent of public school students in 2000" were sexually harassed by teachers. That sounds ridiculously high to me, but the real problem is that her solution is to block all contact between teachers and students.

I'm a teacher. I've found Facebook and classroom webpages to be a great tool in the classroom. If nothing else it works well for posting assignments and answering questions. This law looks like it would be a giant middle finger to teachers. First, we're just assumed to be child-molesting predators eagerly violating all of our students left and right. Second, it smacks of politicians being terrified of a new technology and outright banning it.

Am I wrong? Does this seem like a totally reasonable attempt at protecting students?

I think they should just throw chastity belts on kids and be done with it already. Iron britches for the lot of them.

And put blindfolds on them so they can't watch smut on television. Then we should handcuff them so they can't commit violence against each other. Then gag balls to keep them from saying naughty language. Then some whips for . . .

. . . what?

And put blindfolds on them so they can't watch smut on television. Then we should handcuff them so they can't commit violence against each other. Then gag balls to keep them from saying naughty language. Then some whips for . . .

. . . what?
Well sign me up...

OH, Students NOT teachers.

C

Chibibar

bloody scared chicken little's. You would think having a school or classroom based social network would make it easier to monitor who are the troubled teachers/students in the school/ district/ classroom.
Added at: 03:44
besides, I highly doubt rates of child abuse have gone up with the introduction of digital communication.
Nope. The thing is that information travels faster now.
20 years ago we HARDLY hear anything going on in small town, wherever unless it is on the News. It will only be on the News if it was "big enough"
Today, we can hear about ANYTHING of anything fast via various resources (Twitter, facebook, email, blogs etc etc) so people know MORE about the "ugly world" out there and all this time they thought it was "nice nice" 40 years ago.... pssh!

Once more, to combat a real (if small) threat, a legislature tries to nuke the site from orbit. Banning teachers from any contact with any student for any reason (even for classroom business or with their own kids) to prevent sexual harassment by teachers is like preventing hangnails by amputating your hand - it gets the job done, but in an incredibly painful and inefficient manner.

. . . what?
Obligatory "sounds like my prom night!"

But yeah, this is ridulous. I can kind of understand their reasoning. They think it'll cut down on possible teacher/student "relations".

Then again, are not a lot of schools implementing their own internet communications for assignments and such? The university I'm at now uses it a lot. I've already downloaded and printed off the syllabi for all my classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.