Wii U Love Thread

Speaking of Zelda, the next Virtual Console release will be The Legend of Zelda for NES.
I suppose if I really wanted to play it I would just have to unpack my DS and pull out my copy of GBA Zelda. I'm sure I'll get the VC version though, just so I have it on the big screen again.
I know that the current VC line-up for the WiiU is pretty weak currently. I mean there are some good titles, it's just not as huge as it should be considering. But it's funny, after playing a bit of Mega-Man X tonight, I looked through my current collection. I'm pretty sure I have more VC titles on my WiiU, than I ever had games in real life.

Oh, update on Wind Waker HD. Retail release is October 4th, however, they will be putting it up on the e-shop on September 20th. So, less than a month and you will be able to play the new Wind Waker.

I can't wait. It's a good thing this will be early in the semester when my workload is light.[DOUBLEPOST=1377920276,1377920230][/DOUBLEPOST]
Speaking of Zelda, the next Virtual Console release will be The Legend of Zelda for NES.
It's already up on the e-shop.

Forgive me, but wasn't The Legend of Zelda up on the original Wii's Virtual Console? What's the benefit of the Wii U for that? And why would it be delayed? Shouldn't the entire library be on the new console right away?

And unfortunately this "Wii U Love Thread" is sounding like "The best thing about the WiiU is all the old games from other consoles that it plays." That's really sad. Back in the day when the decision for me was between a DS and a PSP, a lot of people said that the PSP was great for emulation and such... but the games themselves were "meh" for the actual console, whereas the DS had all sorts of great games for it. Thus I bought a DS and have never regretted it, as I can emulate on my PC or something. Is that the main virtue of the WiiU, that it plays a lot of awesome older games? To me that's a rather sad endorsement!

I didn't buy the GameCube until Metroid Prime came out for it (and for the record, if that was the ONLY game that was good, it would have been worth it, as the game was THAT fantastic). I think it's going to be something similar for this console, after it's on sale.

Well, I should expect us to start noting more good games that aren't Virtual Console titles later this year. We're starting to get better stuff. Pikmin 3 has come out and The Wonderful 101 should be coming out within the next few weeks. That's a start.

Forgive me, but wasn't The Legend of Zelda up on the original Wii's Virtual Console? What's the benefit of the Wii U for that? And why would it be delayed? Shouldn't the entire library be on the new console right away?

And unfortunately this "Wii U Love Thread" is sounding like "The best thing about the WiiU is all the old games from other consoles that it plays." That's really sad. Back in the day when the decision for me was between a DS and a PSP, a lot of people said that the PSP was great for emulation and such... but the games themselves were "meh" for the actual console, whereas the DS had all sorts of great games for it. Thus I bought a DS and have never regretted it, as I can emulate on my PC or something. Is that the main virtue of the WiiU, that it plays a lot of awesome older games? To me that's a rather sad endorsement!

I didn't buy the GameCube until Metroid Prime came out for it (and for the record, if that was the ONLY game that was good, it would have been worth it, as the game was THAT fantastic). I think it's going to be something similar for this console, after it's on sale.
You can still access the Wii shop, all the games that I had purchased on the marketplace for my Wii can be accessed on my WiiU, but I just have to go into the Wii menu.

As for games, yeah, right now there's not much out that's great. Pikman 3 is great and all, but it and ZombiU are the only titles that make me feel justified in having the console at this time. Once they get out a new Zelda and Metroid game, it will start to feel like more of an investment. Really, I'd suggest holding off on getting one if you're not already sure until the catalog builds up some more.

While the Gamestop Wind Waker Wii U bundle is tempting, it's not enough for me to plunk down $300 for essentially a Gamecube game.

Not that I don't want to play Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, or The Wonderful 101. They're just not system-movers for me. I'll eventually get a Wii U when my system-worthy games come out, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and Bayonetta 2 (though I ponder how the Gamepad controller is going to feel with the latter), and once I have a Wii U I'll probably get some of the other good stuff plus some VC games. I'd just like to hear about a new Zelda or good Metroid game on the horizon.

At least the Wii U is doing better than the Vita,right? I know that's not saying much, but still.

The gamepad is, IMO, actually pretty comfy. Far more so than you would think it would be. A lot of the gyroscope stuff that feels so good on the 3DS feels about the same with the gamepad. I look forward to that additional functionality being added to Wind Waker, and I think when they do come out with a Metroid game (as long as they make it in the vein of the Prime series) it will be cool as hell.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't blame anyone for not buying the system at this time because the selection of games is downright anemic at the moment. Unfortunately, it looks like it will probably be at least a year before we get enough titles to make it an appealing system.

While the Gamestop Wind Waker Wii U bundle is tempting, it's not enough for me to plunk down $300 for essentially a Gamecube game.

Not that I don't want to play Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, or The Wonderful 101. They're just not system-movers for me. I'll eventually get a Wii U when my system-worthy games come out, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and Bayonetta 2 (though I ponder how the Gamepad controller is going to feel with the latter), and once I have a Wii U I'll probably get some of the other good stuff plus some VC games. I'd just like to hear about a new Zelda or good Metroid game on the horizon.

At least the Wii U is doing better than the Vita,right? I know that's not saying much, but still.
Here's the real point, and the movement for me:
What would you pay for the WiiU?

My price is $250 possibly $200.

The Wind Waker HD bundle is $300. So I'm paying, in my eyes, $50 for Wind Waker HD + A customized Zelda Wii U.

Which to me, justifies it.

I'm a huge VC fan. So I talk about the titles that I appreciate. And yeah, right now, it's kinda what we got. There's a few things I have yet to really play that I own. I have ZombieU, Batman, and Mario. All of which I've played a bit and enjoyed. I think though that there are going to be some amazing titles non-VC titles coming up very soon.

I couldn't even imagine playing Batman on anything other than PC.

I have thought about getting Lego City Undercover.

Here's the real point, and the movement for me:
What would you pay for the WiiU?

My price is $250 possibly $200.

The Wind Waker HD bundle is $300. So I'm paying, in my eyes, $50 for Wind Waker HD + A customized Zelda Wii U.

Which to me, justifies it.
I don't think the current price is unreasonable under your logic ($250 for deluxe Wii U, $50 for Wind Waker HD). I just don't see a need to buy it now when there's not much to do on it at the moment.

I don't think the current price is unreasonable under your logic ($250 for deluxe Wii U, $50 for Wind Waker HD). I just don't see a need to buy it now when there's not much to do on it at the moment.
I would probably wait for a price drop if the Custom Zelda WiiU wasn't a limited time offer.

I would probably wait for a price drop if the Custom Zelda WiiU wasn't a limited time offer.
I noticed that the Zelda bundle only comes with 1 controller listed. So add $50 for another controller. The custom graphics are cool but I'm not sure they are worth the price.

I noticed that the Zelda bundle only comes with 1 controller listed. So add $50 for another controller. The custom graphics are cool but I'm not sure they are worth the price.
I only need one controller, so it's all good.

(Don't all the systems come with only one controller anyway?)

For some reason I thought that the regular deluxe console came with 2. So you're paying an extra $50 for the pretty graphics. And the Hyrule Historia... I guess that could be worth it if you didn't have the book already.

edit.

I thought that it came with 2 but upon further research I am wrong. So $50 for the graphics and the book which retails for $20 so not bad I guess.

Last edited:
For some reason I thought that the regular deluxe console came with 2. So you're paying an extra $50 for the pretty graphics. And the Hyrule Historia... I guess that could be worth it if you didn't have the book already.

edit.

I thought that it came with 2 but upon further research I am wrong. So $50 for the graphics and the book which retails for $20 so not bad I guess.
$50 for the Wii U custom limited edition graphic. A full HD remake of a fantastic game and the digitial $20 book.

I know I'm stretching but I'm basically trying to justify it to myself :rofl:

I hate that they are releasing the original Mario Bros games, and will later likely release the Super Mario All-Stars game.

I only got to play for about half an hour last night before I had to sleep, but god damn it the game looks pretty. I feel like it looks like it was originally intended to without the system limitations of the Gamecube bogging it down. I love having the gamepad screen as a quick inventory. You just drag and drop items to the buttons on the touchscreen. No pausing unless you want to. Save is at the touch of a screen. I didn't get far enough to get to the sailing, but I can't wait to see what it looks like with a huge draw distance. The only negative I have is in the design of the gamepad itself, which is a design issue, not with the game. Why did Nintendo feel the need to put the right analog stick OVER the buttons, when every other controller has had it the opposite way for years. Because of it's awkward placing, I'm still just finding myself using the target button to center the camera like I always have rather than using the admitedly much better updated analogue camera controls. They gyroscope works well, we'll see how it works with the weapons later on in the game.

I kind of also went on a WiiU shopping spree. I got an external hard drive, because I'll probably almost exclusively be downloading titles, rather than getting retail disks. So, with that, I also got Wonderful 101 and Lego City: Undercover.

I know I keep bumping this thread like crazy, but I'm just excited that there are actually some titles out there now that are worth playing.

So, here are some first impressions of what's out there right now:

New Super Mario Bros U (and the Luigi expansion): Boring, boring, boring. The New Super Mario games were probably stale with the last one. These titles were really good DS games, but putting them out as full console games was pretty dumb and kind of lazy. The Luigi expansion adds a little more challenge to them, but not really worth it.

Pikmin 3: It's a Pikmin game with absolutely gorgeous graphics. So, if you love Pikmin, you will love it. It won't do anything to change your mind about the series.

Wind Waker HD: There isn't much to say than I just said in the post above.

Lego City: Undercover: This is a Traveller's Tale Lego game, through and through. (BREAK ALL THE THINGS!!!!!) I have literally only been able to play through about 20 minutes, but what I did play made me laugh. I'm looking forward to having time to play it after this semester.

Wonderful 101: Like the love child of Viewtiful Joe, Overlord, A Boy and His Blob, and any given Sentai series. If that crazy mashup sounds good to you, you are ready for the awesomeness that is Wonderful 101. This is probably the game that took me most by surprise. It's got a great cheesy asthetic and a wholely new form of gameplay. I will be playing the hell out of this game when time permits.

So, basically, Sorry PC, I've got some Wii U to play.

It was a PDP 320GB hard drive. Mainly because it was the only one I could get on short notice because gamestop carries them. This was, of course, after I found out that the system uses USB 2.0 so traditional non-powered USB drives don't work for it... grumble, grumble, grumble...

So, now I have a couple of extra thumb drives that I don't need :p

Oh, let me expand on that for a second.

So, this is the situation. It's Friday at about 7PM. I'm anxiously waiting for Wind Waker HD to release on the e-shop. While I'm waiting, I go on the above mentioned splurge. Consequently, I get a message that I don't have enough internal memory to download my games. So I says to myself "Self, that 32GB filled up fast!". So, I find one of my old USB backup drives that I'm not using anymore and the WiiU isn't recognizing it.

Huh, that's weird, but then again it IS an old drive and maybe it's just gone belly up (which may still be the case, my computer is reading it at half of its actual capacity). Oh well, I think, I'll just run to Walmart because it's only about 5 minutes from my house and pick up some memory sticks. I get two pretty nice 32GB memory sticks and put them in the WiiU.

This time, it recogizes the memory, but the console keeps crashing after formatting.

Well, crap.... TO THE INTERWEBZ!

This is when I finally find out that only specific USB drives will work with the WiiU. They have to be ones that either plug into an external power source, or ones with a Y chord, you know, the old ones that required one USP ports just for power and the other for data. Well, double crap. Where am I going to find one of those? So, off to the Gamestop website I go. I figure if any store near me is going to have something compatable for a game system, it would be them. So, I find that they carry the above mentioned drive but the website says that they only carry limited stock, so they can't garutee that they will be at my local store.

This leads me to a call to my local gamestop. I tell them that I'm looking for an external USB hard drive that will be compatable with my WiiU. I didn't mention the brand on the web site because I figured that if they had multiple types, it would broaden my chances of getting one.

The guy no the other end of the line puts me on hold while he goes to check. After about 3 minutes of him conferring with his fellow employee, they have decided that they definitely don't have hard drives for the WiiU and that they, in fact, don't even MAKE hard drives for the WiiU.

I calmly explain to him that it would not be produced by Nintendo themselves, that it would be a third party peripheral and this is when I tell him that I found the PDP hard drive listed on their web site. So, long story short (too late!) he finally tells me that they have only one in stock.

I run my little butt over there and get it and all is right with the world.

TLDNR: Nintendo sucks at USB technology.

Hey I still can't get a USB card to work in it so that I can transfer my Wii data. :/
I used an SD card. That was pretty painless. I'm miffed, however, that you cant use the SD card for actual system memory on the WiiU, like you could with the Wii. I'm keeping my Wii around solely to play my GC games on, though at this point, I'm thinking it would probably just be better to just get my gamecube out and hook that up and sell the Wii.