Wii U Love Thread

I'm actually quite surprised I don't see a Wii U thread. But then again I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. Sales have been dismal for the system, and there has been a lot of depressing news about people losing faith in Nintendo.

Honestly I feel that the Wii U has a ton of unlocked potential. Sadly it was a release without an assortment of decent games that has plagued it's launch. Zombie U, Marines vs Aliens, and Epic Mickey 2 just gives a good sum up of the crap that the system has had to endure.

Nintendoland and Super Mario Bros are the highlights of the system, giving a small example of what the gamepad feature is capable of. But what we really need are a Metroid and Zelda title to really kick things off.

Zelda Windwaker HD is coming this year, but I'm sure that will just be the equivalent of life support for the system. Something that will have to tide us over until something quite stunning and worthy of the wii u's features to come out.

I'm hopeful to see more amazing software for the Wii U in the near future. In the meantime the monthly virtual console deals are keeping me busy. Super Metroid for 30 cents? Yes please.

When it's less expensive, I'll buy it to play the next 3D Mario (the "New" series, in my opinion, is shit.) in a couple of years. Probably, we'll see. 350 bucks for a trumped up PS360 with a touchscreen controller is not my cup of tea currently.

I appreciate the "New" series, but then again I'm so much more a retro gamer. I think my favorite part of the Wii was the virtual console. The new Super Mario games are a great throwback, and still manage to surprise me with some new platforming difficulty.

There's a reason there isn't a Wii U Love thread. There's nothing on it to love. Hopefully that won't always be the case, but just it's current situation.

Mario is nothing innovative. Zombie U is too short. The next Zelda is going to be a graphics update of an old game etc etc etc.

I appreciate the "New" series, but then again I'm so much more a retro gamer. I think my favorite part of the Wii was the virtual console. The new Super Mario games are a great throwback, and still manage to surprise me with some new platforming difficulty.
Except that the New series controls so much worse than the older games. It's floatier and less precise. I thought maybe I was just remembering the old games playing better, but then actually going back and playing Super Mario 3 or World, I wasn't crazy. They just straight control better.

Don't even get me started on "wah". Fuck "wah".

Except that the New series controls so much worse than the older games. It's floatier and less precise. I thought maybe I was just remembering the old games playing better, but then actually going back and playing Super Mario 3 or World, I wasn't crazy. They just straight control better.

Don't even get me started on "wah". Fuck "wah".
Actually I think the controls work great on the game pad. I've never been a fan of how controls work out on the wii classic controllers or even the PS and Xbox controllers when it comes to the more classic games. I can't beat a single Megaman game on any of them because of how wonky it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1363596222][/DOUBLEPOST]Retro games were not made for analog controls.

Actually I think the controls work great on the game pad. I've never been a fan of how controls work out on the wii classic controllers or even the PS and Xbox controllers when it comes to the more classic games. I can't beat a single Megaman game on any of them because of how wonky it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1363596222][/DOUBLEPOST]Retro games were not made for analog controls.
Yes?

The "New" series still controls worse than the old games.

I have a Wii U and I do enjoy it but the lack of games right now is seriously depressing. I have three games for my Wii U so far and those were all purchased on day one. I must admit that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate looks interesting but I am still not convinced to buy it yet and I will probably wait till I see some reviews for it.

I also own a Wii U, been a Nintendo fan as long as I can remember. I also wish we had a stronger variety of games out right now, but hopefully things will improve. At least there will be the update soon that'll allow for the Virtual Console to work on the Wii U menu without having to go into the Wii Menu.

That, and Lego City Undercover. I am friggin' excited for that game.

WiiU feels like once again, Nintendo's bet money on a gimmick and mascots to sell systems. Don't expect anything else in the Epic Mickey franchise, as Disney shut the studio down. There's minimal third-party support in the realm of exclusives, and the ports seem to be shoddy (and months behind) the PS3/360 versions. At the moment the big titles are Mario and ZombiU, I guess. Lego City seems to be getting warm reviews, but nothing glowing, and Rayman is no longer exclusive (and has been pushed back to September).

At the moment I just can't find any reason to shell out another 350 for the system. Apparently they've hinted at a new Zelda (outside of the HD WW rebuild) and Namco is working on the new Smash Bros., but at this point I'd find the money better spent on a 3DS.

A friend of mine bought one for Rayman Legends...

So yea, I'd care about this system if there were actually games available for it.

Virtual Console should be going up sometime within the next few days. Until then, here is the launch lineup for it:

Balloon Fight
F-Zero
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
Donkey Kong Jr.
Excitebike
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Super Mario World

...And the Virtual Console is now live! I already had Balloon Fight, Punch-Out!! and F-Zero, so I purchased Kirby's Adventure and Super Mario World.

I do admit, though, I am a little jealous of some of the Virtual Console launch titles in Japan. A few of the games they got at launch:
Mega Man 3
River City Ransom
Super Ghosts 'n' Goblins
EarthBound

I miss when Nintendo would make their gimmicky crap optional. Yeah, when I was a dumb kid, I had the Powerglove and the Power Pad, but my god, were games near unplayable with the Powerglove. "It's so bad!" was an understatement.

The same applies to the Wii U. Why do we need a screen on the controller? What's so wrong with hitting a button on a normal controller and having something pop-up on the main TV? The former doesn't do anything to add to the gameplay.

I miss when Nintendo would make their gimmicky crap optional. Yeah, when I was a dumb kid, I had the Powerglove and the Power Pad, but my god, were games near unplayable with the Powerglove. "It's so bad!" was an understatement.

The same applies to the Wii U. Why do we need a screen on the controller? What's so wrong with hitting a button on a normal controller and having something pop-up on the main TV? The former doesn't do anything to add to the gameplay.
Except for games designed around the controller, you can use a regular Wii-mote if the screen bothers you that much. It actually adds quite a bit for games designed with it in mind, for example ZombiU.

Also, read the thread title. Take the bitching elsewhere. :p

So now that Virtual Console is out I have picked up Balloon Fight, F-Zero, Punch-Out, Kirby, Ice Climber, Super Mario World. I'll probably be getting Donkey Kong Jr eventually.
Very much looking forward to Super Metroid and Earthbound in the near future.

I tried the gimmick "game" they came out with. Panorama.
You choose an experience or trip, such as the Rio Carnival or a Double Decker Bus Tour of London and it plays a pre-recorded visual experience. As it's playing you can use the game pad to look around in absolutely any direction you like. There's no other interaction available.
It's quite a fun little tool, though you do have to pay $2.00 for each experience.
There is a free preview though that gives you some quick glimpses of each of the tours currently available. Check it out.

It absolutely does add to the gameplay. And unlike certain other third-party gimmick items it works just fine and as intended. Think of the gamepad as an ipad accessory. It gives you the touchpad experience of the DS which allows for several gameplay options that a standard controller can't give you such as using a stylus to draw or type. Many games are being made with functions that only work on the game pad such as Arkham Asylum: Armored Edition which gives you an equipment screen on the gamepad to make for quick changes and options that you can tap with your fingers. In multiplayer VS games the game pad is often used as a second screen to keep people from "screen watching". Some games also utilize the game pad and it's motion sensors to act as a viewing device such as Zombie U which uses it as a scanner to help you locate items in a room.
The best game out currently that lets you explore various uses of the Game pad is Nintendoland, which has various mini games mostly built around various mechanics. Yoshi's fruit cart for example requires you to draw out a course on the game pad, where the obstacles you need to avoid can only be seen on the TV. The Mario game requires all the other players to chase down Mario who is controlled by the person with the game pad (so only he can see where he is in relation to everyone else) requiring the players to communicate when they locate Mario so they can converge. Luigi's Mansion game has everyone searching for an invisible ghost to destroy by hitting him with their flashlights, with the ghost played by the person with the game pad. The Zelda game features the motion sensors on the game pad, allowing it to change your view quickly and help you aim as you use your archery skill.

The Wii U is still young and finding its identity. Is it going to release lots of gamepad-centered shovelware that eventually evolves into games that excel with the gamepad, as the Wii did with the wiimotes? Or is it going to concede on its gimmicks and just focus on putting out good games on the system, like the 3DS? We won't know for a while yet.

I'm open to getting one when there are games that are console-sellers. It just doesn't have any releases like that. Feels more like it has some stuff to justify its existence to early adopters. I hope that if Nintendo does a price drop soon that you current Wii U owners get something like the ambassador program on the 3DS (20 free VC games that later buyers can't get). That would be fair. But really I'm hoping that Nintendo announces some worthwhile titles in June, due out in November.

The Wii U is still young and finding its identity. Is it going to release lots of gamepad-centered shovelware that eventually evolves into games that excel with the gamepad, as the Wii did with the wiimotes? Or is it going to concede on its gimmicks and just focus on putting out good games on the system, like the 3DS? We won't know for a while yet.

I'm open to getting one when there are games that are console-sellers. It just doesn't have any releases like that. Feels more like it has some stuff to justify its existence to early adopters. I hope that if Nintendo does a price drop soon that you current Wii U owners get something like the ambassador program on the 3DS (20 free VC games that later buyers can't get). That would be fair. But really I'm hoping that Nintendo announces some worthwhile titles in June, due out in November.
Nothing quite like the Ambassador program, but we do at least get a few VC games at 30 cents each including punch-out and Super Metroid.

Is that only if you own them already on the Wii VC or brand new for 30 cents?
Brand new. It's a special Nintendo 30th anniversary trial system they set up back at the beginning of the year. They would release one VC game for 30 cents every month. Once the month was over the price went back up. The last of the sales ends in august.
So far we've had Balloon Fight, F-Zero, Punch-Out, and Kirby's Adventure (Kirby's is still available for 30 cents)
Next month is Super Metroid, followed by Yoshi and Donkey Kong.
The clear winners to me are Kirby and Super Metroid. But cause they are 30 cents I'm getting each one as it comes out.

just got SMW for $1.50, best sick day present to myself ever. Sitting here in my recliner listening to slacker radio and playing mario on the gamepad. good times all around.

It's a SUPER day today on the Virtual Console.
Super Ghouls and Ghosts 7.99
Super Mario Bros 2 $4.99 (or 1/2 price if you already bought Super Mario World)
Super Metroid $0.30 freakin cent.

The 3DS had a rough start (not this bad though) but a price drop and some awesome games have made the 3DS an awesome handheld. Hopefully they can turn the Wii U around as well. But I agree the lack of games is the biggest issue for the Wii U right now. I have 3 games for the Wii U and I bought those on day one and there hasn't been any games worth buying. Sure there are a few that look nice but not enough to justify buying at full price. The games that deserve being bought right away are sadly so far away that it is just sad.