Wii U Love Thread

Department store?
You know it.

If I'd remembered what happens when you try to leave, I would've come in with the money I needed and upgraded my weapons/armor. I think if I'd gotten to do that, I'd be past this point. As it is, I'm no longer 12 years old and instead of grinding in the desert, I go play something else. My determination these days lends more towards Dark Souls than grinding in a traditional RPG. Funny thing is, up until this point I hadn't needed to grind, whereas back on the SNES I spent a good chunk of the early game grinding a lot.

You know it.

If I'd remembered what happens when you try to leave, I would've come in with the money I needed and upgraded my weapons/armor. I think if I'd gotten to do that, I'd be past this point. As it is, I'm no longer 12 years old and instead of grinding in the desert, I go play something else. My determination these days lends more towards Dark Souls than grinding in a traditional RPG. Funny thing is, up until this point I hadn't needed to grind, whereas back on the SNES I spent a good chunk of the early game grinding a lot.
Yeah, the last time I played I made sure to snag a Teddy Bear and do a little work in the desert. I've played through the game so many times now I don't know if I'd forget the big stuff like that anymore, though.

Not Wii U, but apparently Fire Emblem: Fates is in fact being split into multiple versions just like in Japan. Sigh. But it is also allowing same sex romance, you just get special powers instead of babies? I don't know.

Not Wii U, but apparently Fire Emblem: Fates is in fact being split into multiple versions just like in Japan. Sigh. But it is also allowing same sex romance, you just get special powers instead of babies? I don't know.
I'd be surprised if they did it differently than with Japan. They know some people are going to buy both versions instead of waiting for the combo.

Honestly, I'll probably buy one for me, and one for my husband and then we'll swap. Assuming they still have three save files.

Honestly, I'll probably buy one for me, and one for my husband and then we'll swap. Assuming they still have three save files.
This is probably how my brother and I will play it, too. I'd love to see some kind of CE with both versions, though, I'd be willing to plunk down some extra cash for that.

I don't like cartridges because I tend to lose them, but we're not going to each buy two digital copies, and I am NOT waiting. I mean we could just swap DSes, but that is crazy talk.

Though if they add the other storyline as reduced price DLC...

I don't like cartridges because I tend to lose them, but we're not going to each buy two digital copies, and I am NOT waiting. I mean we could just swap DSes, but that is crazy talk.

Though if they add the other storyline as reduced price DLC...
That's the rumor.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem-fates/0/0

Super extra casual mode Inc. (I don't actually give a fuck, since they aren't making me use it)
I feel like this Fire Emblem exists to piss off certain people, from including causal mode, to direct team vs team multiplayer, to the divided versions, to the continuation of marriage and children, to the inclusion of same-sex marriage. Every new detail gets a bunch of internet whiners riled up.

But not me. Bring it on.

Well, for the hell of it and in honor of Iwata's passing, I decided to fire up Earthbound and see if maybe, just maybe I could clear the department store.

And I did! Right away, in fact. I'm now past Moonside and doing the monkey paradise thing. I'm actually progressing again and able to bask in the joy of the game once more.

Team Matchmaking?! YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!!
THIS
T͟His
pronoun

1. 1.
    used to identify a specific person or thing close at hand or being indicated or experienced.
    "is this your bag?"
  2. 2.
    referring to a specific thing or situation just mentioned.
    "the company was transformed, and Ward had played a vital role in bringing this about"
determiner

1. 1.
    used to identify a specific person or thing close at hand or being indicated or experienced.
    "don't listen to this guy"
  2. 2.
    referring to a specific thing or situation just mentioned.
    "there was a court case resulting from this incident"
adverb

1. 1.
    to the degree or extent indicated.
    "they can't handle a job this big"

Good news! Chrom is finally in Smash as more than just Lucina's final smash:

A few more Mii Fighter costumes have come with him, such as King K. Rool. There's also a couple more DLC levels from the N64 game, and Tournament mode too (that one's free).

So in celebration of Kirby's birthday, Nintendo added Kirby 64, Squeak Squad and Return to Dreamland to the VC. I know 64 and RtD are great, as I have them, but I've not played SS. I hear it's one of the better portable titles, though.

That's a pretty good selection of Kirby games to release in honor of the character's birthday. If I'm honest, though, I was kind of hoping that Kirby's Avalanche would have been one of the games.

Kirby's adventure on NES is still the best one, ever.
It is good, but after playing other Kirby games, it feels a little rough. It's not bad at all, but you can see how they're developing the gameplay.

For me, Kirby Super Star holds the top spot, personally.

I have to admit something.

I hate Kirby games...

I've tried to like them, and I like the character himself, but I just found the games too simplistic.

I have to admit something.

I hate Kirby games...

I've tried to like them, and I like the character himself, but I just found the games too simplistic.
Same here. I love Kirby, he's really fun and cute and all that, and I enjoy using him in Smash. The Kirby games just don't engage though. Ponderous pace, minimal challenge. Hell, in Kirby's Epic Yarn you can't even die.

If you're just playing to beat the game, they're pretty easy, but a couple of them are tougher if you go for all the collectibles and secret areas. Kirby's Dreamland 2, for example.

Also Super Star Deluxe is my personal favorite.

Same here. I love Kirby, he's really fun and cute and all that, and I enjoy using him in Smash. The Kirby games just don't engage though. Ponderous pace, minimal challenge. Hell, in Kirby's Epic Yarn you can't even die.
I agree, they're too easy to hold my attention. Except for Kirby's Adventure on NES. That game was huge for its time, was the first one to introduce the power-steal mechanic (which wasn't present in the first Kirby Game, Kirby's Dream Land on the Gameboy) and had TONS of secrets to find. Some of them were pretty difficult to discover, too.

If there had been Super Mario Maker when I was a teenager, I'd have been glued to it, trying to learn and perfect level design every day. Nowadays, I'm curious about it, but I feel like it'd be like Little Big Planet--barely using the crafting tools and just spending my time playing other people's levels. Eh, I'll put it on my wishlist and if someone gets it for me for Christmas, go me.

I've waffled over getting Kirby Triple Deluxe since it was released nearly a year and a half ago, and every time I'm feeling sick and want to play a simpler game, I don't have any because all my shit requires lots of thought and concentration. So I'm probably going to pick that up sometime soon as an eventual medicine.

So my wife and I are planning on getting a WiiU for this Christmas... I've been eyeing their new MarioKart 8 bundle, as that was gonna be a must-buy. Another one for me would be Splatoon.

Folks with families, any games that kids enjoy? Might be picking up some Lego games - Jurassic World would be a hit with my daughter.

Honestly, Zero, if all you do is play the levels other people make, it's worth your money. But that's just my opinion.

What is the age of your kids again O_C? Mine are older so my advice may vary. :)

So my wife and I are planning on getting a WiiU for this Christmas... I've been eyeing their new MarioKart 8 bundle, as that was gonna be a must-buy. Another one for me would be Splatoon.

Folks with families, any games that kids enjoy? Might be picking up some Lego games - Jurassic World would be a hit with my daughter.
Keep in mind that Splatoon is mainly an online multiplayer game. There's a two-player on one TV mode, but it sucks. So Splatoon is really just one person at a time. If you're planning to play as a family together, Mario Kart 8 is the better choice. The Lego games are definitely great kids games. Super Mario 3D World is great, too.

Trying to think of other good family recommendations. I typed in "best Wii U games for kids" into Google and Bayonetta 2 was the first thing to come up, so I wouldn't trust Google :p.

Reactions: Dei
Super Mario Maker can be hilarious, my son and I were building levels for each other and my husband was wondering why we kept yelling while he was in the shower. My son is 13 though.