Wii U Love Thread

I'm hoping this release means they've got some faith in EB's popularity within the Nintendo fanbase. The push for Ness and Lucas to remain included in Smash, the widespread fan-translations of both Mother 1 and 3, etc.

EB is definitely a cult hit, but I think there's more people out there who want more than Nintendo thought.

Don't worry folks, I'm sure in the next version of whatever Nintendo crossover game you'll be able to play as Orange Squid Kid and Purple Kid Squid, two completely different characters :p

It's more that everyone is really hoping that this means they will eventually release Mother 3.
I hope they are basing that decision on whether people buy Mother 1 Earthbound Beginnings.

Also, while I understand calling it Mother wouldn't get people out-of-the-know into buying it, I'm curious what they'd call Mother 3. Earthbound Later: Pokey's Revenge?

I hope they are basing that decision on whether people buy Mother 1 Earthbound Beginnings.

Also, while I understand calling it Mother wouldn't get people out-of-the-know into buying it, I'm curious what they'd call Mother 3. Earthbound Later: Pokey's Revenge?
At that point they could just do it like Square used to for FF or Secret of Mana and be behind on numbers/change the name a little. Mother 3 would be Earthbound 2 or something else ending in -bound.

They could call it Earthbound Endings, to offer a little symmetry with the new title for Mother.

Skimming through the NWC, why the fuck would you ask the contestants questions and not bother to mic them? It's like when the dentist asks you about your vacation, you know he can't hear shit but he does it anyway.

ElJuski

Staff member
Boy, evolution in graphics have really spoiled me. That Earthbound game looks painful to watch, let alone to play.

Well that's weird.

e: Apparently it's only an October release in the US? UK/Japan are still getting it this month. Really weird.

e again: Yep, UK is getting it next week, while we have to wait till October. I bet it's for the Goddamn Amiibos, they must want a simultaneous release in the US.

That makes zero sense. Are they punishing our response to the new Metroid? That's just weird as hell. Maybe they need time to make more Amiibos.

At this point, Nintendo's releases for later this year are sparse (unless they announce some stuff in Nintendo Directs that change that; it's been known to happen). Might be wise to give this some distance from Splatoon in at least one area of the world.[DOUBLEPOST=1434680765,1434680274][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Splatoon needs to die.

My wife is addicted. It was my turn to have the TV, so I played Smash Bros. I could tell she wasn't happy about this, and the thing is, it's not even like she'd want to take the gamepad away so she could play Splatoon. She would've been happy just if I was playing Splatoon, because that's more Splatoon to experience even if she's not playing. It's freaky. We haven't watched a movie at home since this game came out because our TV has just become a Splatoon-machine.

At this point, Nintendo's releases for later this year are sparse (unless they announce some stuff in Nintendo Directs that change that; it's been known to happen). Might be wise to give this some distance from Splatoon in at least one area of the world.[DOUBLEPOST=1434680765,1434680274][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Splatoon needs to die.

My wife is addicted. It was my turn to have the TV, so I played Smash Bros. I could tell she wasn't happy about this, and the thing is, it's not even like she'd want to take the gamepad away so she could play Splatoon. She would've been happy just if I was playing Splatoon, because that's more Splatoon to experience even if she's not playing. It's freaky. We haven't watched a movie at home since this game came out because our TV has just become a Splatoon-machine.
Have you tried telling her about twitch.tv?

Kotaku interview with Reggie:

Creeping up to the topic of Mother 3, the Japan-only Game Boy Advance game I’ve asked Fils-Aime about so many times over the years:

Totilo: “I don’t want to ever bring this topic up with you, but you keep giving me reasons to. You just put out a Mother game [on Virtual Console].”
Fils-Aime:Mother 1, yes. Earthbound Beginnings!”
Totilo: “Yes, so how am I not supposed to ask you about ....”

Fils-Aime: “My laser eyes will blow you away. [Note from Stephen: He’s referencing a joke about responding to Mother 3 questions from last year’s Nintendo E3 video.] Look, again, I think this is an example that demonstrates we’re constantly listening. We’re hearing what the fans say. And we thought it was great to bring back the very first Mother, Earthbound Beginnings here in the market. It’s been out for sale and doing quite well in the eShop. Again, we’ll never say never, but there’s nothing to announce right now.”
Totilo: “Of course not. But Earthbound, when that came out about a year ago [Note from Stephen: whoops, make that two years ago!] on Virtual Console, did you guys have an expectation about how that would do? Did that exceed expectations and perhaps influence the decision to release this one?”
Fils-Aime: “The Mother/Earthbound series is quite niche. And so for us it’s constantly thinking about the investment and then return for a game like that. There is quite a bit of localization to be done and we just need to make sure that volumetrically there’s enough volume to offset that investment.”
Totilo: “Is it safe to assume that you guys are pretty happy with how Earthbound was received last year and that helped motivate and get Mother 1 out?”
Fils-Aime: “That’s exactly right. “

Star Fox Zero apparently not have online multi-player. Considering the use of the gamepad, I guess that means it will just be a single player game.

So they took the games that should have proper single player and made them multi focused (Zelda, Metroid) and took the game that should have a multi mode and made it solely single player. What the hell, Nintendo?

I really wish Zelda: Triforce Heroes was two-player. I know there's a chance you could get together with a friend online, but I really wish my wife and I could play that together without a third wheel that could turn out to be some troll.[DOUBLEPOST=1435109407,1435109341][/DOUBLEPOST]
Truth time. I own Earthbound, never played it.
It can be demanding. Honestly, though I played through it on SNES, I'm not past Fourside on the VC because I screwed something up and am a little under-powered for the current situation, but somewhat stuck in it.

Truth time. I own Earthbound, never played it.
The thing with EB is it's not the gameplay that really built the ravenous following it has. All in all it's basically Dragon Warrior in that regard.

The draw of the game is its charm and overall world. Getting to play in a modern-ish Earth where you swing bats and frying pans instead of spears and swords (unless you want to grind for the only one that exists ingame). The story's your usual save the world business but with a special charm that most other RPGs just can't seem to grasp, or are too serious in tone to bother with.[DOUBLEPOST=1435109550,1435109510][/DOUBLEPOST]
It can be demanding. Honestly, though I played through it on SNES, I'm not past Fourside on the VC because I screwed something up and am a little under-powered for the current situation, but somewhat stuck in it.
Department store?