Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Putting this here anonymously but it should be very easy to tell who this is.

I have a hard decision to make about my Twitch stream. There’s a guy who is a regular who just drags people down. He’s needy, he’s overly dramatic, and he can be very annoying. But he is also one of my first subs and has been a loyal follower. I also know for a fact, however, that there are people who won’t watch when he’s on with me. I’ve talked to him and he does get better for a short time, but then it’s right back to where he is. Talking about killing himself all the time, threatening people with violence, and generally just being a huge downer. I’m sure any of you who watch know who this is.

I know he’s not my problem. I know that if I tell him to leave he’ll just find someone else to glom onto. But it just would feel wrong to do it. But I don’t think I’ll ever grow with him around.

Putting this here anonymously but it should be very easy to tell who this is.

I have a hard decision to make about my Twitch stream. There’s a guy who is a regular who just drags people down. He’s needy, he’s overly dramatic, and he can be very annoying. But he is also one of my first subs and has been a loyal follower. I also know for a fact, however, that there are people who won’t watch when he’s on with me. I’ve talked to him and he does get better for a short time, but then it’s right back to where he is. Talking about killing himself all the time, threatening people with violence, and generally just being a huge downer. I’m sure any of you who watch know who this is.

I know he’s not my problem. I know that if I tell him to leave he’ll just find someone else to glom onto. But it just would feel wrong to do it. But I don’t think I’ll ever grow with him around.
It's your stream and your audience, you have a right to ask people to leave who you don't want to associate with. If you want to be nice, give him a final warning, with the understanding that if he does it again he gets banned. And then follow through and ban him when he does it again.

I bet Gas would do it for you. I'd consider lockng your voice channel down somehow so you have to invite people in to it.

Easy for me to say, but: better to cut bait and save yourself the headache. You don't owe this guy anything. He sounds like an emotional parasite. I could understand if you were buds with this dude, but it's just some random guy who you're only giving consideration because he's been around a while. As Ravenpoe suggested, a polite but firm final warning, and let the chips fall where they may.

im with everybody else, if someone is this disruptive basically move your voice call for stream to invite only/trusted group after being clear to this person that you expect them to conduct themselves with a minimum amount of decorum.

Well...I know that there are people who tune in just because of the antics/drama.
That said, even Fleetwood Mac got fed up to the point that they fired Lindsey Buckingham.
If you want to try and keep a foot in both worlds, you might designate M-F as "Drama-free" or something but still invite him along for weekends or certain events, kinda giving him "special guest-star" status.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Brofist so hard. I know exactly where you are, and why it doesn't feel simple to just cut ties. I was in exactly your shoes a few short months ago with exactly the same person. If left to his own devices, he WILL kill your stream. He killed mine. I lost most of my regulars because of him specifically, even one who's a friend of mine in real life. I know it sucks, but this is the choice left for you to make.

Also it's your stream. Most streamers don't generally have an open voice channel that any follower can join during a stream.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I think the main problem is the TYPE of games that I play with him. Grim Dawn, he's fine. No Man's Sky? Perfect. PUBG or anything else that's remotely shooter-based? Does not fly. Funny thing is, we played duos last night and had a blast. As soon as we went squads he reverted.

So I think I'm going to lay down the law. No more shooters with him. He has to know that he's toxic to a channel when he's like that. And since I've had "the talk" with him before, that WAS his chance.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Also it's your stream. Most streamers don't generally have an open voice channel that any follower can join during a stream.
That also is true. The reason I do is because it lets me banter during games like NMS that can be boring without talking.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just had "the talk" with him. He understands. I told him he's fine in certain games but PUBG and the like we might do a duo or two but other than that no more. I know I had to do it, but I still feel like a jerk.

Just had "the talk" with him. He understands. I told him he's fine in certain games but PUBG and the like we might do a duo or two but other than that no more. I know I had to do it, but I still feel like a jerk.
Even setting aside the fact that you know he's hurting your stream - would you play with the dude off-stream if he behaved like that? Assuming you wouldn't, would him paying you a couple dollars a month change that? This isn't you being a jerk, it's his actions having consequences. And it's not like that hasn't been made clear to him (repeatedly, apparently).

From an accounting point of view, the retention of one subscriber which causes the loss of 10-15 current ones and the opportunity cost of all the future people who won’t subscribe, doesn’t make sense.

From a more personal point of view, if he’s making other people uncomfortable, then he needs to be dealt with.

I don’t know much about Streaming, so I don’t understand the ettiquette or if you have any responsibility for the content of this chat, but that’s the part I’m concerned with for you.

I will be moving in a week (moving in with my girlfriend whom I love very much), after living in this appartment for 11 years. That's not the whine.

I have just finished the first, and most likely biggest, wave of boxing (CDs, DVDs/BRs, games, comics and books). That's not the whine either, but it's related.

MY EVERYTHING HURTS!!!!!!!!! Bloody hell, my neck and my back feel like rusty hinges and my hands are drier than British humour.

THAT was the whine.

Two birthday plans didn't work out. Also, when our spending finally is again under control, looks like the washing machine it's about to die. It's funny that I'm nostalgic about that washing machine. It's the first appliance we bought as newlyweds, and the only one left from out old apartment.