Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I'm so frustrated with so many aspects of my life right now. Every little thing makes me want to punch holes in drywall.

have had some sort of cold deal since Saturday, tonight randomly added sore-throat laryngitis to the mix. might have to see a doctor and make sure it isnt something nastier tomorrow after work. My voice is almost entirely gone. :(

have had some sort of cold deal since Saturday, tonight randomly added sore-throat laryngitis to the mix. might have to see a doctor and make sure it isnt something nastier tomorrow after work. My voice is almost entirely gone. :(
Mumps. Has to be mumps.

(but really, I hope it's nothing serious)

I sometimes participate on /r/writingprompts on Reddit. While I wouldn't say my writing is awesome, I do think my stuff is decent, otherwise I wouldn't be comfortable posting it. Recently, I wrote a story that I wouldn't describe as my best work, but nonetheless was good enough to be posted. It was also fairly well received in that particular Reddit thread.

I just found a 4chan thread, in which they'd stumbled upon my story, and they tore it to shreds.

Confidence... all gone...

I is gud riter? :(

Last edited:
I sometimes participate on /r/writingprompts on Reddit. While I wouldn't say my writing is awesome, I do think my stuff is decent, otherwise I wouldn't be comfortable posting it. Recently, I wrote a story that I wouldn't describe as my best work, but nonetheless was good enough to be posted. It was also fairly well received in that particular Reddit thread.

I just found a 4chan thread, in which they'd stumbled upon my story, and they tore it to shreds.

Confidence... all gone...

I is gud riter? :(
Why do you care what 4chan thinks? Like... at all?

Why do you care what 4chan thinks? Like... at all?
I don't.

Actually, that's not true, I do.

Kind of.

Rationally, I know I should just ignore the naysayers when quelling them is out of the question.

Emotionally, I want affirmation from every possible source.

Emotionally, I want affirmation from every possible source.
If it wasn't at least halfway decent, people wouldn't work so hard to tear it apart.
If it really wasn't halfway decent, then it's probably useful criticism and will help you write better later.

Win-win.

--Patrick

If you're anything like me, each individual migraine feels like it's lasting for a year. Do you take anything for them or just ride them out?

I just take ibuprofen or naproxen, then go to sleep. Sometimes I wake up and it's gone. Sometimes it lasts for a couple of days. OTC meds work well enough that I can function as long as I get enough sleep.

fade

Staff member
I get the painful ones and they suck, but I also get the kind that don't hurt but that cause visual occlusion. That's terrifying every time. It's like someone is drawing a gray sheet of paper across my eyes because there's a perfectly straight line. The first time it happened I thought my retina was detaching, so I rushed to the doctor.

I get the painful ones and they suck, but I also get the kind that don't hurt but that cause visual occlusion. That's terrifying every time. It's like someone is drawing a gray sheet of paper across my eyes because there's a perfectly straight line. The first time it happened I thought my retina was detaching, so I rushed to the doctor.
Auras are freaky. That's how I knew I was getting a migraine this time. I was reading something on my laptop and noticed I couldn't see about every 3rd word. When I looked away from the screen I could see all the pretty swirlies. The first time that happened I thought I was having a stroke.

Fun story: when I took the SATs, I was reading the introductory text and realized I could only see two letters to the left of whatever I was reading.

Needless to say, it was a long test session.

Good news is that I got glasses shortly afterward and never got another headache like that.

Auras are freaky. That's how I knew I was getting a migraine this time. I was reading something on my laptop and noticed I couldn't see about every 3rd word. When I looked away from the screen I could see all the pretty swirlies. The first time that happened I thought I was having a stroke.
I was driving down the highway when it happened. Same thought "I'm having a stroke, whoa." and this was before the headache and nausea started. No fun.

For me its black dots and nausea. During my first migraine my father gave an "old remedy" for this pain: a cup of cold coffee with two lemons. The truth is that time it worked! Maybe it was a coincidence because it never worked again.

Zappit

Staff member
My grandfather passed away this morning. We got the call from my grandmother early this morning that the nursing home told her he was in the process of "actively dying". The entire family raced to the home, but we didn't make it in time. He was already gone.

He died peacefully, though. He was asleep. He had been in so much pain and discomfort, and that's over now. I've got to keep telling myself that, because I can barely make out the keypad right now. This is just devastating.

Dave

Staff member
My grandfather passed away this morning. We got the call from my grandmother early this morning that the nursing home told her he was in the process of "actively dying". The entire family raced to the home, but we didn't make it in time. He was already gone.

He died peacefully, though. He was asleep. He had been in so much pain and discomfort, and that's over now. I've got to keep telling myself that, because I can barely make out the keypad right now. This is just devastating.
Damn, dude. I totally missed this until now. My deepest condolences.

Necronic

Staff member
I did something kind of bad this weekend. It was a lot of fun. It was amazing. But there was one aspect of it that was bad. And I feel bad about it. I did something bad to someone that I don't really know. If I was being a pure utilitarian about it then I would have no problem, because three people had a LOT of fun and one person (if they ever find out) will be extremely hurt. Blergh. What really gets me is that I could have just shown some patience and waited and the three people could have still had a lot of fun without hurting the 4th. On the other hand if the other person never finds out then does it really matter? If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? It was...disrespectful to the extreme on my part. But only if he finds out about it.

Necronic

Staff member
Ok. As the day wears on I am feeling worse and worse about this. So pissed a myself. I could have waited and then no one would have been hurt. Everything truly would have been awesome. But I didn't. And now the awesome is tainted. I just really hope the other people involved don't have the same crisis of conscience. Ugh. Don't even know if this is the right place for this. Not happy with myself today.

Ok. As the day wears on I am feeling worse and worse about this. So pissed a myself. I could have waited and then no one would have been hurt. Everything truly would have been awesome. But I didn't. And now the awesome is tainted. I just really hope the other people involved don't have the same crisis of conscience. Ugh. Don't even know if this is the right place for this. Not happy with myself today.
Just how many dicks did you draw on that unconscious guy?

Necronic

Staff member
None. So there's that at least. Keep thinking of that line from True detective though:

"A man's game charges a man's price"

Fuck. I've gone years without a fuckup like this. This is going to bother me for a long god damned time.

Necronic

Staff member
Dude, I still get blindsided from stupid things I did in college. It never goes away, but eventually you're just all, "Eh, it's you again."

--Patrick
Seriously. I've recently been kicking myself damn near daily for a few things I did almost decade ago.

Anyways, I had a good talk with the other two people involved and they seem to be cool with it, which is good because that was a big part of what concerned me. One of them in particular, if I felt some guilt I was sure they would feel way more, but apparently they are ok with it, and have good reasons (thank god for reasons). Still sucks for the dude, but he's in for some bad news anyways and as long as he doesn't hear the details of what happened then it won't hurt him anymore.

So, as many of you know, I'm a recovering alcoholic. The impetus for quitting the booze was an OWI that I got about 7 years ago. I haven't touched a drop since.

Anyway, I go to renew my license today and they tell me that I never should have been issued my last one and there's an issue with Minnesota with the incident. This blindsided me. I took all the steps outlined by the court to get this rectified, payed damn near 2000.00 in fees and fines, spent a night in jail, was on probation for a year, the whole deal. When I last got my license renewed about five years ago, not a thing was said about this. The lady at the DMV tells me that technically, I've been driving illegally for almost five years now. GREAAAAAAAAAAT.

So, I took all the info that the DMV lady gave me and called over to the Minnesota DMV, and they're all like, "yup, you have to pay a 680.00 fee that we never informed you of before."

So, that's half my savings gone in one fel swoop, and I need to drive to Michigan for the holidays. Unfortunately, if the Minnesota DMV didn't get everything processed by end of day today, I'm looking at a longer wait to get my real license and I'll be damned if I'm going to knowingly drive with an expired license.

I wouldn't be pissed if I hadn't explicitly called the DMV multiple times after I did all my restitution to make sure that everything was clear.

Zappit

Staff member
Well that was the hardest day of my life. The last time I lost a family member, I was too young to really understand things. I'd never been to a funeral before yesterday.

It was a wonderful ceremony, though. My grandmother ordered an upgrade to the casket, but the company couldn't get it to her in time, so they gave her another one worth more than twice as much for the same price. My grandfather got to go in style, and the lining matched the outfit he was dressed in. The priest had recently been to Rome, and came back with a bunch of Rosary beads blessed by the Pope. He gave my grandmother a set during the funeral. It seemed like a spur of the moment decision on his part, too. She said she really felt my grandfather then.

After that, we went to the Veteran's Cemetary. (My grandfather was a Korean War vet.) He was buried with military honors, and that was it.

The family came back to my house for a meal, and we got a bit lucky there, too. Most places that do catering are booked solid right now because of Christmas, and we needed things on a day's notice. We found a local place that would do a buffet, and they were really, really good to us. Very kind to my mother when she called and explained the circumstances. They put on an amazing spread, and even waited at the house until we came back from the cemetary. Good people.

It's going to hurt today. It would have been my grandfather's 83rd birthday, and we always had a big party for him. The day was never about Christmas Eve. It was about him, and there will be a tremendous void when the family gathers again today.