Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

If you keep hearing the sound of switches flipping in the distance, that might actually be y our circuit breakers...AND a warning to cut back on the amps being applied to that monster in the basement lest you set the wiring on fire.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Blargh, can't sleep.

I've got new ideas running through my head for a very large, creative project that I've had growing in my head for a number of years. It'd be my big comic book series if I ever got to do a series. My comic book magnum opus, if you will.

Sadly, I can't draw my way out of a paper bag. And I know of no artist who would want to take on such a huge project (roughly 90-some issues).

Not to mention that because science isn't my strong suit, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the main character's powers would even work.

I've run the idea by a friend or two and they really love the idea. They think it's unique and would definitely sell. But yeah, the more I work on it, the less likely it feels like it'll ever be a reality.
Is this the one we were PMing about a while back? I'm still more than willing to help out with the science. As far as drawing goes, I'd say draw it anyway. Who knows? A cruder style might be catchy.

GasBandit

Staff member
Google reader has started acting odd this afternoon, spontaneously marking things I've read as unread. It's irritating when your own damn computer commits reposts against you.
Aaand now it's doing it again. Only with EVERYTHING. I open google reader, 700+ unread items?! Wait, I've already read all these. Mark all as read. Noooope. 700+ unread items! Repeat ad nauseum. And it's not just me.

Aaand now it's doing it again. Only with EVERYTHING. I open google reader, 700+ unread items?! Wait, I've already read all these. Mark all as read. Noooope. 700+ unread items! Repeat ad nauseum. And it's not just me.
Yep my Google Reader has gone on the fritz too. Leaving it alone until they get it running again.

Not happening to me and I check Google Reader every day on various devices. How are you viewing Reader?

I do have the reader app on my tablet... checking it shows that it isn't affected as badly, but items I know I've read are still showing up there as well.
Any Firefox plugins for Reader?

My guess at this point is either some app or plugin is malfunctioning or Reader has trouble with high-volume feeds (for example, it imports new items so frequently that the new items are superseding your requests to Reader to mark an item as read.) It may be that mine is working fine because I am subscribed to very low volume feeds.

GasBandit

Staff member
Any Firefox plugins for Reader?

My guess at this point is either some app or plugin is malfunctioning or Reader has trouble with high-volume feeds (for example, it imports new items so frequently that the new items are superseding your requests to Reader to mark an item as read.) It may be that mine is working fine because I am subscribed to very low volume feeds.
No, nothing like that... no addons or anything. I'd just use the tablet, but that makes it less convenient to copy/email stuff.

The batteries in my mouse are starting to die and I don't have any spares on hand. I may have to switch back to the trackpad on my laptop. Hopefully the mouse lives until I finish this report.

Took a bite of dinner tonight. Something unexpectedly crunchy in my toast turned out to be part of a tooth.

My own tooth.

I lost a piece of one of my back molars that had come in with cavities back when I was a kid.

My lower back is all screwed up, and my hips, and my neck, and my shoulders. On the other hand, my entire lower back is now liberally coated with extra-strength tiger balm. That's nice, right?

fade

Staff member
You know what I dislike? Having to defend Fortran every single time I use it. Look, I'm an awesome C++ coder. I know its strengths and weaknesses. But I also know it's a kit that you have to assemble your own tools from half the time. They may indeed be blazing fast, extensible tools. But Fortran has so much intrinsic love for numerical data and for precision, that it's like using a 5/8" wrench instead of a home-built kick-ass power tool. And sometimes, it's just faster to go with the wrench. You may not be able to extend it so easily in the future, but even that is workable.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know what I dislike? Having to defend Fortran every single time I use it. Look, I'm an awesome C++ coder. I know its strengths and weaknesses. But I also know it's a kit that you have to assemble your own tools from half the time. They may indeed be blazing fast, extensible tools. But Fortran has so much intrinsic love for numerical data and for precision, that it's like using a 5/8" wrench instead of a home-built kick-ass power tool. And sometimes, it's just faster to go with the wrench. You may not be able to extend it so easily in the future, but even that is workable.
You should just come back with "shut up or I break out the Cobol."

fade

Staff member
Yeah, but Fortran is heavily used by physicists, and is quite heavily employed in numerical commercial apps. It also gets updated regularly, with the last standard update in 2008.

Call this a first world problem I don't care, but I can't watch a show with the theme-song edited out. Maybe its my Aspyness, maybe I'm just persnickety all I know is I like watching a whole show.

Call this a first world problem I don't care, but I can't watch a show with the theme-song edited out. Maybe its my Aspyness, maybe I'm just persnickety all I know is I like watching a whole show.
One of my biggest beefs with cable was how they would turn a 25min episode into an 18min episode just so they could squeeze in an extra few commercials/promos.

For that matter, I also can't stand it when the local roboradio station will play a version that edits out the "boring" parts of songs like EWG's "Frankenstein" or Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" presumably because they were too long otherwise.

--Patrick

One of my biggest beefs with cable was how they would turn a 25min episode into an 18min episode just so they could squeeze in an extra few commercials/promos.

For that matter, I also can't stand it when the local roboradio station will play a version that edits out the "boring" parts of songs like EWG's "Frankenstein" or Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" presumably because they were too long otherwise.

--Patrick
Oh sweet Satan, this. Like how when they brought "The Mighty Boosh" and took out a bunch of good scenes!