Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

You might have a point. Often it seems like everywhere I go, I end up being approached by some random person and have them initiate conversation with me. Hell, one year not too long ago, I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival and some dude walked up and bear hugged me and talked me like I was a long lost friend. I swear I had no memory of ever meeting him before. :confused:
Yeah, very polite of you. Sheesh.

I mis stepped on some concrete stairs last Sunday and my knee has been a grinding, creaking, painful mess ever since. I didn't fall down, just twisted it really weirdly in an attempt to prevent myself from falling down.

It hurts and I want it to stoooooooooooop.

Welp, I'm single again. :(

But I'm actually okay with it. The writing was on the wall on this one for the past few weeks. It was mutual and adult and grown up and all that stuff. We just realized we both wanted different things.

Reactions
524 143 0
Welp, I'm single again. :(

But I'm actually okay with it. The writing was on the wall on this one for the past few weeks. It was mutual and adult and grown up and all that stuff. We just realized we both wanted different things.
On the one hand, kudos for dealing with it maturely.

On the other hand, I know that probably doesn't alleviate how much it sucks to end a relationship. Sorry bro.

Sometimes I hate my degree and hate when I see critique that reminds me of it.

I wrote a spooky ghost story, and I really liked it, but now I've let pretentious crap get into my head. What is it saying about the characters? What is the subtext? What does the ghost represent?

So now what was a ghost story I liked feels like it's empty or lacking or something, and I don't know how to get that out of my head.

Reactions
423 183 3
Sometimes I hate my degree and hate when I see critique that reminds me of it.

I wrote a spooky ghost story, and I really liked it, but now I've let pretentious crap get into my head. What is it saying about the characters? What is the subtext? What does the ghost represent?

So now what was a ghost story I liked feels like it's empty or lacking or something, and I don't know how to get that out of my head.
Not every story has to want to be Ulysses. There are many different types of stories and books to be told/written, and not everything needs to have Extreme deep Thoughts and Social Commentary all over them. Some books are history- or literature-changing masterworks with deep, lasting effects on the psyche of a generation. Others are just a fun romp through a fantasy world and great escapism. Some are little vignettes of life.
A LOT of writers, especially with literary education/degrees, tend to fall into the trap of having every story have to be saying something meaningful. It makes their books dreary, boring, overly complicated or too on the nose, etc etc.

Of course there are some things to consider - if you(re writing a story with exactly one black character, and he's the incarnation of all evil in the universe, you might be sending a bad message. If you're writing a story where women are evil and treacherous because they're women, yeah, that's probably a bad idea. But not every story about a change or a transition has to be about gender issues, not every story about poverty-to-riches has to be an attack on the capitalist system that keeps the little man down, etc etc.

There's a big difference between "quality" and "meaning". You can write a story that's all just fluff and feel-good (or suspense and drama, or titillation and excitement, or what-have-you), but is well-written and fun to read, or you can write a book version of Michael Bay's Transformer movies.

Reactions
423 183 3
As for me, I've been getting more and more ill since Tuesday last week. Like I've said earlier, I have a lot on my plate, and I really can't use being sick right now, but I guess the stress has taken down my immune system. What started as a cold with a bit of a sore throat is now a full-blown respiratory system infection which has spread to my sinuses, my ears, my throat, and the upper part of my lungs. I'm stuffed to the gills with anti-inflammatories and painkillers and I still feel like a wet towel. I need to take apart half my furniture and get a move on, and right now I'm practically too weak to pet a kitten. Ugh. Damn you, body.