Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
We think a skunk got into the crawlspace in the building at work. It smells so bad in here, you guys. I can hardly think straight to work.

I mis stepped on some concrete stairs last Sunday and my knee has been a grinding, creaking, painful mess ever since. I didn't fall down, just twisted it really weirdly in an attempt to prevent myself from falling down.

It hurts and I want it to stoooooooooooop.

Welp, I'm single again. :(

But I'm actually okay with it. The writing was on the wall on this one for the past few weeks. It was mutual and adult and grown up and all that stuff. We just realized we both wanted different things.

Welp, I'm single again. :(

But I'm actually okay with it. The writing was on the wall on this one for the past few weeks. It was mutual and adult and grown up and all that stuff. We just realized we both wanted different things.
On the one hand, kudos for dealing with it maturely.

On the other hand, I know that probably doesn't alleviate how much it sucks to end a relationship. Sorry bro.

Sometimes I hate my degree and hate when I see critique that reminds me of it.

I wrote a spooky ghost story, and I really liked it, but now I've let pretentious crap get into my head. What is it saying about the characters? What is the subtext? What does the ghost represent?

So now what was a ghost story I liked feels like it's empty or lacking or something, and I don't know how to get that out of my head.

Sometimes I hate my degree and hate when I see critique that reminds me of it.

I wrote a spooky ghost story, and I really liked it, but now I've let pretentious crap get into my head. What is it saying about the characters? What is the subtext? What does the ghost represent?

So now what was a ghost story I liked feels like it's empty or lacking or something, and I don't know how to get that out of my head.
Not every story has to want to be Ulysses. There are many different types of stories and books to be told/written, and not everything needs to have Extreme deep Thoughts and Social Commentary all over them. Some books are history- or literature-changing masterworks with deep, lasting effects on the psyche of a generation. Others are just a fun romp through a fantasy world and great escapism. Some are little vignettes of life.
A LOT of writers, especially with literary education/degrees, tend to fall into the trap of having every story have to be saying something meaningful. It makes their books dreary, boring, overly complicated or too on the nose, etc etc.

Of course there are some things to consider - if you(re writing a story with exactly one black character, and he's the incarnation of all evil in the universe, you might be sending a bad message. If you're writing a story where women are evil and treacherous because they're women, yeah, that's probably a bad idea. But not every story about a change or a transition has to be about gender issues, not every story about poverty-to-riches has to be an attack on the capitalist system that keeps the little man down, etc etc.

There's a big difference between "quality" and "meaning". You can write a story that's all just fluff and feel-good (or suspense and drama, or titillation and excitement, or what-have-you), but is well-written and fun to read, or you can write a book version of Michael Bay's Transformer movies.

As for me, I've been getting more and more ill since Tuesday last week. Like I've said earlier, I have a lot on my plate, and I really can't use being sick right now, but I guess the stress has taken down my immune system. What started as a cold with a bit of a sore throat is now a full-blown respiratory system infection which has spread to my sinuses, my ears, my throat, and the upper part of my lungs. I'm stuffed to the gills with anti-inflammatories and painkillers and I still feel like a wet towel. I need to take apart half my furniture and get a move on, and right now I'm practically too weak to pet a kitten. Ugh. Damn you, body.

I had a pain procedure on Friday and I’m still very sore and exhausted. I spent the weekend on the couch shiny hunting in Let’s Go and watching makeup videos. Like, that level of lazy.

I debating calling in sick today, but I dragged my ass in. I reviewed something months ago and the guy who did should have responded some time ago. Anyways, when I off Friday, having my procedure and sedated, he finally responded and copied my boss like it was an emergency. He’s not done yet and he skipped steps, so I don’t know why it’s an emergency, but thanks for that asshole.

Not every story has to want to be Ulysses. There are many different types of stories and books to be told/written, and not everything needs to have Extreme deep Thoughts and Social Commentary all over them. Some books are history- or literature-changing masterworks with deep, lasting effects on the psyche of a generation. Others are just a fun romp through a fantasy world and great escapism. Some are little vignettes of life.
A LOT of writers, especially with literary education/degrees, tend to fall into the trap of having every story have to be saying something meaningful. It makes their books dreary, boring, overly complicated or too on the nose, etc etc.

Of course there are some things to consider - if you(re writing a story with exactly one black character, and he's the incarnation of all evil in the universe, you might be sending a bad message. If you're writing a story where women are evil and treacherous because they're women, yeah, that's probably a bad idea. But not every story about a change or a transition has to be about gender issues, not every story about poverty-to-riches has to be an attack on the capitalist system that keeps the little man down, etc etc.

There's a big difference between "quality" and "meaning". You can write a story that's all just fluff and feel-good (or suspense and drama, or titillation and excitement, or what-have-you), but is well-written and fun to read, or you can write a book version of Michael Bay's Transformer movies.
That's really what I need to keep in mind. The next thing can be Important. This one can be entertaining and still perfectly good.

Me again. My email and network at work. OMFG they’re brutal. I’m having to text and use my personal phone while being all cryptic because it’s not secure.

The first dude at the help desk was not helpful. I had to call the nice one directly. Poor guy.

My husband is working out of town this week, which is fine. However, it means I have to be the one to bring my daughter to school in the morning, and she moves like molasses and every attempt to get her moving is met with "Yeah, yeah" *eyeroll*. Part of me wants to stab her eyes out. I am used to this from trying to get her to gymnastics on time twice a week, but GD now I have to deal with it EVEN MORE OFTEN.

Also, her dance teacher emailed me to ask if we had problems getting leotards since my daughter never seems to have them for class. This is because she walks to dance class from gymnastics, since they are in the same area, and when I try to get her to pack her dance stuff before we leave for gymnastics, she throws a fit about YEAH YEAH SHE KNOWS, so I don't check. Since I'm not the one getting her from dance class because I'm at archery, I didn't know she wasn't bothering to pack her shit even after I remind her for 20 minutes, SO I GUESS I HAVE TO MAKE SURE SHE ACTUALLY LISTENS BEFORE WE LEAVE, so we'll probably start being even later to gymnastics until I get my point across to her.

UGH TWEENAGERS.

GasBandit

Staff member
My husband is working out of town this week, which is fine. However, it means I have to be the one to bring my daughter to school in the morning, and she moves like molasses and every attempt to get her moving is met with "Yeah, yeah" *eyeroll*. Part of me wants to stab her eyes out. I am used to this from trying to get her to gymnastics on time twice a week, but GD now I have to deal with it EVEN MORE OFTEN.
Squirt her with a spray bottle every time she rolls her eyes.

Hey, it works on cats, right?

Our car is acting up. My google-fu says Fuel Pressure Sensor. If so, it should be a relatively easy fix. Otherwise, I'll have to take it to someone. :puke:

Ok people...I don’t know where my building is controlled from, but omg, turn up the heat!

I’m wearing fuzzy socks, Uggs, jeans and a fuzzy sweater and I’m blue nails cold.

My ear keeps randomly ringing in response to loud noises. It's actually driving me batty but my doctor keeps telling me there's nothing 'physically' wrong. It just keeps getting worst. :/

I decided I should repaint my son's room because the paint job wasn't very thorough when it was first done (my mom did it when we first moved in to our house, and didn't get quite enough paint) and it's just been fading and chipping over time, and I have decided that textured walls are the devil, and if it wasn't a huge pain in the ass to remove them, I'd be spending the rest of the month doing nothing but scraping it clear of every wall in the house.

I decided I should repaint my son's room because the paint job wasn't very thorough when it was first done (my mom did it when we first moved in to our house, and didn't get quite enough paint) and it's just been fading and chipping over time, and I have decided that textured walls are the devil, and if it wasn't a huge pain in the ass to remove them, I'd be spending the rest of the month doing nothing but scraping it clear of every wall in the house.
As someone else who's had to paint over those, oh, man, I feel ya.

GasBandit

Staff member
:notes:It's the most wonderful time of the year!:notes:
With the kids noses snotting
And leaving you coughing right in your beeeeeer
It's the most wonderful time... of the yeaaaar.

It's the hap-happiest season of all
Bringing pneumococcus (aka streptococcus)
When friends come to caaaalll..
It's the hap-happiest season of allllll

There'll be all kinds of sneezing
And copious wheezing
And hocking phlegm out in the snow
There'll be aches and some pains
While your sinuses drain
And raw noses from constantly blowwww
-ing...

It's the most wonderful time of the year
Chicken soup will be boiling
and our chests we'll be oiling
with the Vicks vapo-rub that we smear
It's the most wonderful time of the year!