Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

right? this time of year I just want to sleep, and my already existing depression just gets pumped up on steroids.

My parents are visiting this weekend, and it's going to be cold and possibly snowing. I prefer to stay home when it's cold, but they are going to want to do something. The real problem though is that we are a house of introverts and my parents will act all hurt and sad if we don't spend every waking minute with them. I feel like we'd get along better if my parents would acknowledge that just because we don't see them all the time doesn't mean we need to be in their line of sight the whole time they are here.

I am right there with you. My mom just arrived yesterday.
im on vacation for a week and my plan has been to just chill out and watch anime. Instead I am on the hook for home repairs, errands, and meals(since im not working I can do more for the family >_>) guess I can kiss recovering goodbye. to be clear I was planning on those things but not in the amount and intensity that I have been ordered.

I've been waking up (not by choice) anywhere between 4:00 am and 5:30 am for the last year or two, and now that my body and brain are prepared to go back to sleeping normal hours, my eight-legged, two-tailed, furry alarm clocks aren't having it. I tried for 2.5 hours to stay in bed this morning after Aislynn got up, and every time I started to drift off again, there were the dogs, in my face, on my chest.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been waking up (not by choice) anywhere between 4:00 am and 5:30 am for the last year or two, and now that my body and brain are prepared to go back to sleeping normal hours, my eight-legged, two-tailed, furry alarm clocks aren't having it. I tried for 2.5 hours to stay in bed this morning after Aislynn got up, and every time I started to drift off again, there were the dogs, in my face, on my chest.
Oh man. I've been such a bad influence on my cat. When I first got him, I got the 6 am alarm licks every morning, too. But 2 years of cohabitation has ruined him, he's now perfectly content to sleep in, curled up next to me.

But yeah, I remember having dogs, and having them either wake me up on their own, or just as frequently, being sent by the other person in the house to do so.

Oh man. I've been such a bad influence on my cat. When I first got him, I got the 6 am alarm licks every morning, too. But 2 years of cohabitation has ruined him, he's now perfectly content to sleep in, curled up next to me.

But yeah, I remember having dogs, and having them either wake me up on their own, or just as frequently, being sent by the other person in the house to do so.
Yeah, this is probably karma for me.

Mr. Z is usually assigned to any child or animal that wakes up early. Most of the time it's voluntary, but it's also because he is one of those people who can easily fall back asleep if interrupted. If I have to get up at any hour, the odds of me being able to go back to sleep before the next night are slim-to-none. It's rare if I can nap.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aaand more writing on the wall at work. Just found out the owner sold all our towers. All of them. Apparently even the one right outside the building. But how are we going to broadcast without towers, you ask? Well, apparently we're leasing them back from whoever we sold them to. Owner says the deal was just "too good" to pass up.

That makes zero sense. If you OWN something 100%, taking out a mortgage on it is never a good deal...

...Unless you're desperately short on cash and need a big influx NOW bad enough to not worry about the fact that you're eating your seed corn.

Paired with the sale earlier in the year of one of our stations for a fraction of what it should have fetched, and it does not paint a rosy picture.

Time to make sure my resume is up to date and start shopping it around, I think, just to be on the safe side.

I used to be mildly worried about what would happen if and when the owner got around to selling us.

But now I'm more worried about us going out of business, or being cut up and sold in pieces.

The former I probably would have come through unscathed, most likely.

The latter is anybody's guess.

If I were you I'd also start moving anything the company doesn't own back to your house before more things get sold at random. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
If I were you I'd also start moving anything the company doesn't own back to your house before more things get sold at random. :p
Hah! Well, the only thing here that's mine, now, is the Empyrion/L4D2 server. And that's locked in my office, it's not back in the server room or the transmitter room. I had thought about moving it back to a rack in the transmitter room, but now I'm not, anymore.

I had dental work at 11:30 today, went great, but now I am hungry and cant feel my lower jaw, and probably wont until dinner :(

Time to make sure my resume is up to date and start shopping it around, I think, just to be on the safe side.
And also that you have 6 months' worth of savings socked away, and that all your health-related needs have been handled, and you have enough prescriptions saved up, etc., etc.
Also you may wish to somehow permanently assert your ownership of the server, in case someone wants to contest you over it. Engrave your name on it, hang a wire tag, frame up copies of the receipts to post next to it, whatever. Because the person who comes to take it may not ask permission first before it's taken away, wiped, and sent to the new owner.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Hrrmmm... the fiber is in and up... and I get 50+mbit up and down in the transmitter room where the router is... but from almost everywhere else in the building, I'm getting 10mbit.

The wiring in this place is atrocious and slapdash, and now I get to run around looking for a rogue 10 mbit switch in any one of a dozen places.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aaand more writing on the wall at work. Just found out the owner sold all our towers. All of them. Apparently even the one right outside the building. But how are we going to broadcast without towers, you ask? Well, apparently we're leasing them back from whoever we sold them to. Owner says the deal was just "too good" to pass up.

That makes zero sense. If you OWN something 100%, taking out a mortgage on it is never a good deal...

...Unless you're desperately short on cash and need a big influx NOW bad enough to not worry about the fact that you're eating your seed corn.

Paired with the sale earlier in the year of one of our stations for a fraction of what it should have fetched, and it does not paint a rosy picture.

I used to be mildly worried about what would happen if and when the owner got around to selling us.

But now I'm more worried about us going out of business, or being cut up and sold in pieces.

The former I probably would have come through unscathed, most likely.

The latter is anybody's guess.
So I've updated my resume a bit and am starting to shop it around. I'm not limiting myself to Texas as I don't really have anything tying me down here any more, so I'm applying to places here, or other places in the state, and even some places in my old stomping grounds of Colorado and New Mexico.

Dang, it's tough finding technology-based work (at least the non-monkey level) in Albuquerque if you don't have a security clearance :confused:

So I've updated my resume a bit and am starting to shop it around. I'm not limiting myself to Texas as I don't really have anything tying me down here any more, so I'm applying to places here, or other places in the state, and even some places in my old stomping grounds of Colorado and New Mexico.

Dang, it's tough finding technology-based work (at least the non-monkey level) in Albuquerque if you don't have a security clearance :confused:
Atlanta and its environs has a ton of tech work and decent COL, if you're open to relocating to that sort of place.

GasBandit

Staff member
Atlanta and its environs has a ton of tech work and decent COL, if you're open to relocating to that sort of place.
I might, though if I'm relocating, I kinda wanted it to be closer to family. My grandparents are getting on in age and are having lots of health problems, as evidenced by what happened over my last vacation trip home, so I kinda am wanting to be in closer driving distance to visit more often.

I cannot, for the life of me, cook rice consistently, and we had to leave the rice cooker behind in the move.
Ex took the rice cooker, I prefer the stovetop when making small quantities. Maybe see if my method (well, my mom's, gmom's, ggmom's, ...) works for you?

1 dried bay leaf for each 80-180g of rice
1 garlic clove for each 80g of rice (I peel mine, family recipe is unpeeled)
1ish cup of water for each 80g of rice (adjust up by 50% for brown and wild rice)
1 pinch of salt for each 80g of rice
1 squirt of olive oil (3-5g)

Mix the above in a small pot (ideally 40-60% full when all added in), put on the stove on high (7-9/10) and bring to a bubbling boil.
Cover with a lid and bring down to low (2-3/10), you should still hear boiling (adjust temperature upwards if you don't, but it should be only simmering, not overflowing).
Wait 10 minutes and lift lid away from you, check water level and consistency with spoon, set lid back on.
Thereafter, do the above check every 2-5 minutes (you'll get a feel for timing), move off the heat once there's very little or no liquid left.
Wait a few minutes, remove basil leaves, stir, and serve.

Ex took the rice cooker, I prefer the stovetop when making small quantities. Maybe see if my method (well, my mom's, gmom's, ggmom's, ...) works for you?

1 dried bay leaf for each 80-180g of rice
1 garlic clove for each 80g of rice (I peel mine, family recipe is unpeeled)
1ish cup of water for each 80g of rice (adjust up by 50% for brown and wild rice)
1 pinch of salt for each 80g of rice
1 squirt of olive oil (3-5g)

Mix the above in a small pot (ideally 40-60% full when all added in), put on the stove on high (7-9/10) and bring to a bubbling boil.
Cover with a lid and bring down to low (2-3/10), you should still hear boiling (adjust temperature upwards if you don't, but it should be only simmering, not overflowing).
Wait 10 minutes and lift lid away from you, check water level and consistency with spoon, set lid back on.
Thereafter, do the above check every 2-5 minutes (you'll get a feel for timing), move off the heat once there's very little or no liquid left.
Wait a few minutes, remove basil leaves, stir, and serve.
It's certainly worth a shot.

I typically use a medium grain rice.

Use a non-stick sauce pot. 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, 1 cup rice with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, dump rice/salt into boiling water, bring back to boil, cover, reduce temp to medium low to maintain simmer, set timer for 15 minutes, remove from heat when done, wait about 2-3 minutes before uncovering.

The infuriating part of all this? It's only Calrose/Hinode rice that I can't cook. I can make risotto, long grain and wild rice, pilaf, Basmati/Jasmine and other long grain rice, glutinous rice for sticky rice dim sum; all from scratch, no pouches, microwaves, or special tools necessary. Shitty American rice to go with a stir fry? Nope.