Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I'm probably the last person who should be giving advice on the subject, but I will anyway because fuck it. I'm 40 years old, I'm drunk, and this world can kiss my ass.

I'd say just be friendly back until you've hung out a few times, and if there's any chemistry, just ask her out, and make it clear that you mean as a date.

Even if she says no and stops hanging out with you, it's better than letting it hang unspoken until it festers.

Honestly, the odds of seeing her again in person are highly unlikely.

She was an artist who had a table at DCAF (Dartmouth Comic Arts Festival). Super friendly. We talked about our respective work. I suggested she read some Darwyn Cooke because her style strongly reminded me of it. She actually ASKED for my business card when I talked about and showed her my Dill books (I brought a few copies on a whim, and my business cards).

We now follow each other on Twitter, but the likelihood of anything happening now are microscopic.

Honestly, the odds of seeing her again in person are highly unlikely.

She was an artist who had a table at DCAF (Dartmouth Comic Arts Festival). Super friendly. We talked about our respective work. I suggested she read some Darwyn Cooke because her style strongly reminded me of it. She actually ASKED for my business card when I talked about and showed her my Dill books (I brought a few copies on a whim, and my business cards).

We now follow each other on Twitter, but the likelihood of anything happening now are microscopic.
Well, building your network and being to know new and interesting people is rarely bad.

I broke my favorite bong yesterday. It had been with me for almost my entire weed smoking life. But, it's the nature of glass to break, so, C'est la vie. Lesson learned though, no more bottle brushes down bong necks. Snapped the percs right off their base, even after the bulk of the brush was stopped by the ice pinch. Now I'm gonna have to go find some cheap Chinese glass somewhere to replace it.

They are jackhammering/drilling (as opposed to blasting) across the street from work this morning. All morning. They have not stopped once in the past 2+ hours.

Oy! My head.

They are jackhammering/drilling (as opposed to blasting) across the street from work this morning. All morning. They have not stopped once in the past 2+ hours.

Oy! My head.
Bring them gifts of tobacco and cold water and offer to bless their jackhammer.

Bought a new pair of (kind of expensive) sunglasses. Today is the first day I wore them outside, so of course I dropped them and scratched the lens :mad:

My supreme annoyance at shopping continues. Three hardware stores I've been to in the past two weeks, and out of those three, not a single one had 6" diameter flexible ducting. One of them had 6" diameter rigid stovepipe, but no flexible ducting. So, Amazon gets another bit of my business, and I think a little bit less of these hardware stores. But now the waiting is over.

I'm not sure this is a whine, but ...

I feel weird that I'm much more excited about my former therapist having a baby in November than my brother and his girlfriend, due middle of September, or my sister and her husband, due end of September.

I'm not sure this is a whine, but ...

I feel weird that I'm much more excited about my former therapist having a baby in November than my brother and his girlfriend, due middle of September, or my sister and her husband, due end of September.
To be fair, which of the six (I assume) people involved has been there for you lately, has taken time to really listen, shown interest in your thoughts and feelings, has talked to you about *you*?

Of course, congrats on becoming an aunt twice over soon :)

DAMMIT.

So I've been trying to work on my next video. Compiling pictures before putting it all together. I was going to use some video clips this time (from a documentary on The Death of Superman) but I keep getting an error when I try to carry it over into Vegas 14.

EDIT: Tried googling the issue. Tried multiple solutions. Nothing worked.

My only option now would be to rewrite parts of the script and skip using video clips. And I just don't feel like doing that. So I think I'm done trying to do this video.

Last edited:
To be fair, which of the six (I assume) people involved has been there for you lately, has taken time to really listen, shown interest in your thoughts and feelings, has talked to you about *you*?

Of course, congrats on becoming an aunt twice over soon :)
That's true. Not that I've given them much chance to, but then, it's not like they have much time considering.

And thanks! I won't be seeing either new kid for a while.

They're jackhammering across the street from my office again. All. Freaking. Morning.

I (almost) miss the blasting. At least that wasn't constant!

They're jackhammering across the street from my office again. All. Freaking. Morning.
And they're at it again this morning.
And it's stupid hot today, so my office is already ~28C (83F), with no breeze and no fans.

Ug. And to think I sometimes wonder why my productivity goes to shit in the summer.

I've been working on a problem for the last day that has interrupted my testing and not letting me find the actual problem for my next major task at work.

The problem was something that's known, annoying, and we've been putting a manual workaround in for a month (or more). But when updating all my local code, I forgot to put the workaround back in, and the error behavior it causes is "weird" and non-obvious, thus I didn't pick up on it for a day.

:(

And they're at it again this morning.
And it's stupid hot today, so my office is already ~28C (83F), with no breeze and no fans.

Ug. And to think I sometimes wonder why my productivity goes to shit in the summer.
While I don't think it gets that hot, the lady that does our billing/invoicing swears by the new desktop personal AC that she bought from Amazon for ~$40. Their little doorless offices do get pretty stuffy. She couldn't really use a fan with all the loose paper she has around.

I've been working on a problem for the last day that has interrupted my testing and not letting me find the actual problem for my next major task at work.

The problem was something that's known, annoying, and we've been putting a manual workaround in for a month (or more). But when updating all my local code, I forgot to put the workaround back in, and the error behavior it causes is "weird" and non-obvious, thus I didn't pick up on it for a day.

:(
Been there, done that. You have my sympathies.

Not sure if whine or rant or just general feeling bad about myself, but I think I put the other posts about the series of workshops I'm following in here so this thread it is (don't worry, the course is almost over :p)

Anyway, this is in two parts. On one hand, this series of workshops pretty much just confirms what I already knew - my interests, talents, experience and capabilities point in four different directions, and there's no job I'm qualified for, want to do, can do, can find in my area, and could get employed in. There's plenty of jobs I have the capabilities for but can't see myself doing for more than a few months before jumping in front of a train [I'd never actually jump in front of a train. I've contemplated suicide in my life, but I would never do it in a way that traumatizes another person so badly. Think of the train conductor, find another method]. Either I lack the personal qualities (I'm not exactly the most inspiring person), or the education (and the state isn't going to pay for more - two degrees is plenty), or the basic skills (I'm clumsy. As in slapstick-comedy clumsy. I might want to, but I'll never be able to use a chainsaw professionally and keep 10 fingers for over a month).

Secondly, and actually mostly unrelated - this is just griping about myself - I suck. I procrastinate far too much. I have to finish a bunch of "homework" today for an individual meet-up tomorrow. Because of circumstances outside of my control, I couldn't work on it most of the previous days, so it all came down to today. Nothing else to do. My GF left for work at 2PM and she won't be returning 'till somewhere around 10:30PM at the earliest. It's now about 10PM. So, I've had 8 hours of uninterrupted alone-time to busy myself with this.
Let's see...Caught some Pokémon...Read up on this place....Read up on a few blogs I read....Took a nap...Dinner....Lunch....Took out the garbage....Cleaned up the kitchen...Started reading up on the OOTS forums...Read the paper...Watched some John Oliver videos....Checked my e-mail...Wrote this post....Check and re-check the assignment to re-interpret it as more and more limited every time, to reduce the amount of work I have to do to be able to say "good enough"...Read a bit....Hmmyeah. An absolute waste of 8 hours. And not even doing especially fun or rewarding stuff! Killing time is just that - there's nothing gained from the way I spent that time, not even relaxation or enjoyment or fulfillment - just shame, anger at myself, frustration, a bit of regret, and yet, still no motivation wahtsoever to go do something useful.
GAH. Bubble, you're an idiot throwing away good time and a good opportunity to learn about yourself and get help, and your passiveness and uselessness is just destroying it. Useless, useless, useless.
I may be fairly smart, and well-read, and I've got a broad interest and knowledge, but I'm a complete failure when it comes to willpower, perseverance, or actually achieving something worthwhile.

While I don't think it gets that hot, the lady that does our billing/invoicing swears by the new desktop personal AC that she bought from Amazon for ~$40. Their little doorless offices do get pretty stuffy. She couldn't really use a fan with all the loose paper she has around.
I need one of these!!
Post automatically merged:

I came here to whine that I lost a vacation day to feeling awful. I woke up in the middle of the night ready to barf and have been dizzy and pukey ever since.

A friend from out of town is here, so I’m going to pull myself together, but it’s a sad use of a vacation day.

It was 93F and sunny yesterday and it's 62F and cloudy today. I don't really mind either of them, it's just that any time there's a drop in temp that sharp, I'm absolutely exhausted and groggy all day. I'm on my fourth cup of coffee and I'm about to fall asleep in it.

I'm a complete failure when it comes to willpower, perseverance, or actually achieving something worthwhile.
It sounds like you value the satisfaction of completing a task just fine, it’s just that you’re doing all of these quick, easy-to-complete “junk food” tasks as opposed to tackling ones you feel will take sooooo looooong to complete.
The only advice I have (which btw is what my wife keeps telling me every time *I* complain about much the same issue) is that if you subdivide the BIG task down into a bunch of clearly-delineated small tasks, then you get to feed your brain the same steady stream of “I completed a quick-and-easy thing!” messages which keeps it satisfied and less prone to interrupting your overall long, steady climb toward overall completion.

—Patrick