Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

S

SeraRelm

So I get to work, since someone couldn't make it, and find out we're going to be over on hours for the week. That means the person there had to leave the moment I showed up, and I had no help for the day. On a Saturday. Our busiest day.

Then the power went out a couple times.

I'm sort of lucky to be in a position where overtime doesn't matter. I can't leave until my relief arrives, no matter what. And the schedule isn't going to change simply because I'm already over with nearly a full day to go.

Add to that guys who think 3pm means that's when you pull into the parking lot instead of already clocked in 10 minutes ago, I average 3-4 hours of overtime every check.

So I get to work, since someone couldn't make it, and find out we're going to be over on hours for the week. That means the person there had to leave the moment I showed up, and I had no help for the day. On a Saturday. Our busiest day.

Then the power went out a couple times.
Sounds like ThatNickGuy 's prom night.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
I shouldn't be complaining about this, because I have the freedom in a private school to write my own damn curriculum and decide what my students should end the year knowing.

But damnit, I don't want to write curriculum right now! IT'S SUMMER! It's been hard in this last month of school. My assistant left for a different position within the school (one that she prefers, I don't blame her. It's no fun being a 40-year-old working for a 27-year old, I'm sure). I gave them the go-ahead to move her, because I'll have no assistants next year anyway. Get used to things, right? It was a clusterfuck. She took care of so many little day to day things that I ended up taking on, so I didn't have time to write this up earlier. Could I have done this yesterday instead? NO, shut up! I was having a fun, whirlwind outing with my gentleman friend! Shut up!

So anyway, off to work I go. It really won't be bad. Nothing I'm not used to. But still. Whiiiiine.

Cajungal

Staff member
Y'all are sweet for hugging me. I deserve no hugs... only harsh words for my procrastination and my momentary inability to see the bright side of this! BAD LESLIE .:mad:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Y'all are sweet for hugging me. I deserve no hugs... only harsh words for my procrastination and my momentary inability to see the bright side of this! BAD LESLIE .:mad:
Ahem...

QUIT YER BELLYACHIN', MISSY! THERE'S SOME PEOPLE WITH REAL PROBLEMS THAT DON'T WANNA HEAR NONE OF YER WHINING! NOW STOP BEING A PANSY AND GET TO WORK, ON THE DOUBLE! MOVE IT!

I shouldn't be complaining about this, because I have the freedom in a private school to write my own damn curriculum and decide what my students should end the year knowing.

But damnit, I don't want to write curriculum right now! IT'S SUMMER! It's been hard in this last month of school. My assistant left for a different position within the school (one that she prefers, I don't blame her. It's no fun being a 40-year-old working for a 27-year old, I'm sure). I gave them the go-ahead to move her, because I'll have no assistants next year anyway. Get used to things, right? It was a clusterfuck. She took care of so many little day to day things that I ended up taking on, so I didn't have time to write this up earlier. Could I have done this yesterday instead? NO, shut up! I was having a fun, whirlwind outing with my gentleman friend! Shut up!

So anyway, off to work I go. It really won't be bad. Nothing I'm not used to. But still. Whiiiiine.
I've got to get my online summer courses prepped in the next week or so! You are not alone.

Cajungal

Staff member
Now my problem is not having NO ideas... but too many. I've got to narrow these skills and facts and things down to 8 Big Ideas. I'm gonna need bullets under each one... Now I'm having fun. Man I love lists!

So, today, I took my girlfriend's car to the garage - warning lights had come on about the braking system and the ABS. Turns out there was nothing really wrong, just two of the three stop lights were out and, apparently, that generates an alarm. I knew the two lights were out, but I thought that was a consequence of something being wrong, not the actual thing wrong...
Anyway, so, I went to the garage. I also went grocery shopping, I took the laundry to the ironers', and I did the dishes. I inform my girlfriend that I've done all thrse things (phone), while she's at work.

Her reaction: she calls me back, and informs me that she had those light bulbs in the car, and if that was all that was wrong with it, I shouldn't've let the garage put in new lights.

Fair enough that she wants to tell me she has light bulbs in the car, but is it wrong of me to get a bit upset that that is the FIRST thing she tells me? "oh yeah, and thanks for the other things" was about 5 minutes of crp about the lights later. I mean, I'm pretty damn perfectionistic, both for myself and for others, but even I might've said thanks before complaining/criticizing. It's not terrible, ubt it's something she does regularly... As in, I vacuum the whole house and she complains that it wasn't thorough enough; I do the laundry and put things in the dryer which, according to the etiquettes, can go in and I hang up everything else...."oh, you could've just put in these pants and shirts as well, even though their labels says you can't, I always do that - no they're just taking up space here"..;.

I'm aware this is a bit of a whine, but seriously...Could she maybe just show a bit of appreciation BEFORE blasting me about the imperfections of my work? Now I just feel like I've wasted half my day and I'm sure as hell not going to do anything for her tomorrow. Am I being a baby?

Since March 15th, I have literally spent a large part of every goddamned day managing the rebuild of my house, the restoration of my possessions, spreadsheet after spreadsheet of money, house selections, total loss items. Every day until bed. Every day while waiting for code to build. Yesterday, my wife and I went to lunch for our seventeenth anniversary. We spent the entire meal writing out things we had to discuss with the internal decorator so we would have paint colors, light fixtures, vanities, etc. to give the builders later this week when they said we needed them.

Every. Goddamned. Day.

fade

Staff member
You (the general "you") know what? Don't say "back on topic" at the top of your post. If it's back on topic, just type your on-topic thread. Nobody needs the verbal spanking.

So, today, I took my girlfriend's car to the garage - warning lights had come on about the braking system and the ABS. Turns out there was nothing really wrong, just two of the three stop lights were out and, apparently, that generates an alarm. I knew the two lights were out, but I thought that was a consequence of something being wrong, not the actual thing wrong...
Anyway, so, I went to the garage. I also went grocery shopping, I took the laundry to the ironers', and I did the dishes. I inform my girlfriend that I've done all thrse things (phone), while she's at work.

Her reaction: she calls me back, and informs me that she had those light bulbs in the car, and if that was all that was wrong with it, I shouldn't've let the garage put in new lights.

Fair enough that she wants to tell me she has light bulbs in the car, but is it wrong of me to get a bit upset that that is the FIRST thing she tells me? "oh yeah, and thanks for the other things" was about 5 minutes of crp about the lights later. I mean, I'm pretty damn perfectionistic, both for myself and for others, but even I might've said thanks before complaining/criticizing. It's not terrible, ubt it's something she does regularly... As in, I vacuum the whole house and she complains that it wasn't thorough enough; I do the laundry and put things in the dryer which, according to the etiquettes, can go in and I hang up everything else...."oh, you could've just put in these pants and shirts as well, even though their labels says you can't, I always do that - no they're just taking up space here"..;.

I'm aware this is a bit of a whine, but seriously...Could she maybe just show a bit of appreciation BEFORE blasting me about the imperfections of my work? Now I just feel like I've wasted half my day and I'm sure as hell not going to do anything for her tomorrow. Am I being a baby?
Welcome to marriage bub, enjoy!

I've made it explicitly clear that I am not up to the same standard of housework as my wife. She appreciates it if I vacuum because she knows if she says one word about not being exactly like she would do it, I would never do it again.

M

makare

Maybe she is the kind of person who prefers to end on the good note.

I don't think you're being a baby. No one likes to feel unappreciated. I think you're in the right for not doing anything for her tomorrow or for a while afterward. That sounds childish in some ways, but really unless she asks you to do something just leave it be. You're being nice, but maybe she is used to doing these things on her own. I know letting someone else take care of household chores, and doing it their way, was something I had to adjust to because I had lived alone for so many years.

S

Soliloquy

I don't think you're being a baby. No one likes to feel unappreciated. I think you're in the right for not doing anything for her tomorrow or for a while afterward. That sounds childish in some ways, but really unless she asks you to do something just leave it be. You're being nice, but maybe she is used to doing these things on her own. I know letting someone else take care of household chores, and doing it their way, was something I had to adjust to because I had lived alone for so many years.
That's dangerous territory, because she 1) Won't necessarily understand why you're not helping her out at all that day, and 2) Might end up being just as critical for you not helping.

Though maybe I'm just saying that because of my previous relationship with Catch-22 incarnated in female form.

M

makare

Hmm maybe you should just talk to her about it. Guessing seems to be potential disastrous.