Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Dammit, I'm getting that itch again to create a comics-related YouTube series. If only I had even a sliver of video-creating talent. Or, like, a team where I could do scripts and formatting and have others help with the rest.
Step 1) load your script on a creative zen micro and send it to Gas.
Step 3) Video!

GasBandit

Staff member
Don't do that. You'll just get a video back with a bunch of horny, Anime teens having sex and killing each other.

Unless that's the comic, then, kudos!
I'll have you know I have produced PLENTY of COMPLETELY un-sexy youtube content!

That... doesn't sound like something I should be pround of.

On the downside, Nick, you'd probably have to sometimes read big profile new comics, like events at least, to draw more viewers. But you'd use that influx to talk about the stuff you care about in other videos.

I will say that as someone who likes listening/watching people talk comics while I play Hearthstone, I value knowledge over flashiness. I also know that's in small commodity on YouTube and people seek out more content than is available, especially getting away from the kind of Youtuber who thinks Ms. Marvel is terrorist propaganda.

In a nutshell, though success might lean towards sometimes doing videos on things you've been avoiding, you'd certainly be a force of good in that field, even if your early videos are just you talking to the camera ... which also what the big shot comic Youtubes do anyway :p.

GasBandit

Staff member
He could go for a niche audience, kinda like maybe a comics version of "Talking Classics with Keith Apicary." Only, I assume, with slightly less physical comedy :p

My brother started his woodworking channel by chucking some blurry GoPro footage into iMovie and doing the barest of edits. He "commissioned" his wife for a logo (and later on a better logo), and slowly incorporated video and editing techniques as he learnt them. He worked at it in his free time, and is sitting at 40k subscribers after 3 years.
Consistency usually beats quality on youtube.

So just do regular posts and ignore all the other issues at the beginning - just dedicate to regular videos and over time improve little things here and there where you can and where it doesn't cost you too much time or money.
Listen to them. You can also hear it straight from the horse's mouth by skipping to the one-minute portion I've marked below of this video I coincidentally just stumbled over:
(clicking should take you directly to 8:14, watch at least through 9:19)

--Patrick

On the downside, Nick, you'd probably have to sometimes read big profile new comics, like events at least, to draw more viewers. But you'd use that influx to talk about the stuff you care about in other videos.

I will say that as someone who likes listening/watching people talk comics while I play Hearthstone, I value knowledge over flashiness. I also know that's in small commodity on YouTube and people seek out more content than is available, especially getting away from the kind of Youtuber who thinks Ms. Marvel is terrorist propaganda.

In a nutshell, though success might lean towards sometimes doing videos on things you've been avoiding, you'd certainly be a force of good in that field, even if your early videos are just you talking to the camera ... which also what the big shot comic Youtubes do anyway :p.
Honestly, a lot of my inspiration for the idea is from YouTubers like Movies with Mikey or Errant Signal. In-depth analysis rather than just a "review."

Also, and this would cost me hits, I doubt I'd tackle much "topical" stuff or current major events. The idea I had was analyzing completed series or creative team runs. So Starman, Preacher, Morrison's JLA, Brubaker's Captain America, Dixon's Nightwing, Y: The Last Man, Planetary. Like other YouTubers, I could time some videos with a new movie or TV show featuring that character. Like plan an episode of Preacher right before the next season, or discuss a particular creative run on a Thor title on the weekend of Ragnarok's release.

For some reason, I keep imagining my first video covering James Robinson's Starman. No idea why, but it keeps popping up in my mind. How it was this weird outlier book that's beloved by those who read it but it's not often mentioned anymore. Or the book's ongoing theme of legacies and passing on the torch.

But yeah, I don't know. Learning video editing and all that just feels too daunting.

Last edited:
Honestly, a lot of my inspiration for the idea is from YouTubers like Movies with Mikey or Errant Signal. In-depth analysis rather than just a "review."

Also, and this would cost me hits, I doubt I'd tackle much "topical" stuff or current major events. The idea I had was analyzing completed series or creative team runs. So Starman, Preacher, Morrison's JLA, Brubaker's Captain America, Dixon's Nightwing, Y: The Last Man, Planetary. Like other YouTubers, I could time some videos with a new movie or TV show featuring that character. Like plan an episode of Preacher right before the next season, or discuss a particular creative run on a Thor title on the weekend of Ragnarok's release.

For some reason, I keep imagining my first video covering James Robinson's Starman. No idea why, but it keeps popping up in my mind. How it was this weird outlier book that's beloved by those who read it but it's not often mentioned anymore. Or the book's ongoing theme of legacies and passing on the torch.

But yeah, I don't know. Learning video editing and all that just feels too daunting.
Simple solution: Don't edit! :awesome:

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-296-james-robinson-starman-today/

And this is an example of why I shouldn't consider the idea: because this article sums up the Starman series like I probably would have. It has entire paragraphs with lines almost exactly like the ones I was considering.

Oh well.
There's a movie that's probably pretty similar to a story I intend to write. I feel like in my place, you would choose not to write the story after watching the movie.

But what am I going to do? I won't be in the position to make that choice, because I refuse to even watch the movie.

A person doesn't have to wonder when defeat will find them if they go seeking it out. A self-fulfilling prophecy will come true because it fulfills itself--it's right there in the name.

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-296-james-robinson-starman-today/

And this is an example of why I shouldn't consider the idea: because this article sums up the Starman series like I probably would have. It has entire paragraphs with lines almost exactly like the ones I was considering.

Oh well.
People consume their media differently. There's a whole audience of people who would like to receive these concepts but never will because they prefer video and aren't interested in reading a blog post. Further, your views will not only sound different (you have a different "voice") but they will be different in ways that perhaps you think are minor but are in reality interestingly different.

So.

1. Don't edit. Record and post.
2. Don't worry about what others have said or written - just say your piece and send it out into the world.
3. It's better to release on a consistent basis - if you record five videos this weekend on your more interesting topics, release them only once or twice a week over the next few weeks, giving you time to make more and giving your audience a regular-ish schedule. Since you aren't doing topical, this will work fine, and if you do have something to say topically it's fine to throw it up off schedule.
4. Don't apologize. You are you, you don't owe them anything, and if you skip a week or five just make the next one and ignore the gap. Don't make any promises. Release when you can.
5. Ignore the comments, likes, dislikes. Do this for yourself, and recognize those who didn't like it will necessarily be louder than those who did. I repeat: Do this for yourself, don't look for your audience to motivate you. The only useful number is followers (followed closely by views), and it can take months and years to build that up, so count every subscriber as a win, but don't worry if that doesn't grow. Be patient.
6. Don't let your fears, anxiety, worries get in your way. There may be a million reasons not to do this. But you only need one reason to do it, and you have that, so do it.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

My wife nearly crashed into a car in the parking garage this morning. She was turning sharply left up the ramp and so she was in the "wrong" lane so to speak. The other was leaving the garage so they were in the far most right. Anyhow, my wife serves around them and proceeds to eyeball them and call them assholes. I said that she (my wife) was in the wrong lane. She then proceeds to yell at me. Saying the I am always sticking up for other people and siding with them over her. Now, she has been been playing radio silence with me. I know that means she has been stewing all fucking day and will be snippy and curt at home tonight. If I was driving, she would have jumped down my throat. I really feel like standing my ground and telling her she made a mistake, and it wasn't the other driver's fault, but that will likely turn into a huge stupid fight. Ugh.

GasBandit

Staff member
1. Don't edit. Record and post.
Dear god. I just realized. My 5 most successful videos have absolutely no editing whatsoever. None. Just video footage of the game as I "play" it with real-time running commentary from my mic - not even any narration added in post. I only even bothered opening them up in windows movie maker to re-save them in a format that took less space so it would upload faster.

This isn't in the funny pictures thread because it's not funny to me: Dilbert 2013-02-24

I've been there. The code hasn't won... yet. The biggest "gem" I ever encountered though was a snippet similar to this in a header file with a "date" of early 1992:
Code:
// This works until we get a compiler that uses templates
typedef void* FlexType
This was current production code as of July 2016, and I have no reason to believe it has yet been excised and/or exorcised. I tried for at least 5 years to get it deprecated and was unsuccessful. It was used EVERYWHERE.

It gets worse. There was a "FlexLinkedList" and "FlexArray" and whatever else that were "not-at-all STL-compliant" containers that were used by passing in your objects as pointers, but then there were ALSO "FlexLinkedList<T>" classes which were wrappers (not inheritance... I think, I don't work there anymore) around the non-generic ones, that then wrapped that flex type! And those classes (both "kinds" of them) were used extensively in the APIs, hence used everywhere.

Oh and those wrappers also didn't "own" what they contained (deleting it when done) unless you told them to. At construction, or just later on, you could tell the containers to delete elements as they were removed... or not. It wasn't consistent, so there couldn't even be a way to replace them with shared_ptr or something, because the same named location (class member maybe) could be used different ways in different cases.... often with external booleans (not bool, but some custom boolean type of theirs) saying which behavior was being used.

I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

fade

Staff member
Wait, but isn't the strip making fun of the person who comes in and makes those claims? We've all been there, too. Sometimes what looks stupid to fresh eyes really is there for a reason. Often that reason is because it would take 10000 man hours to do it the pretty textbook way in light of how much working code would have to be refactored.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, but isn't the strip making fun of the person who comes in and makes those claims? We've all been there, too. Sometimes what looks stupid to fresh eyes really is there for a reason. Often that reason is because it would take 10000 man hours to do it the pretty textbook way in light of how much working code would have to be refactored.
I think the strip is just straight up absurdism, without supporting or rebuking the established practice.

I'd say it's not, just because of the sheer amount of "bad" code out there. I agree that your thing that sometimes "looks" stupid isn't necessarily. It's in the first section of the C++ FAQ that you have to use "evil" constructs every once in a while because it's the best option for the specific odd need you have.

And then there's the code I linked above. And any time people continue writing and "enhancing" Inner Platforms (as they are wont to do) and/or defending Antipatterns. /shudder

Note: a wrapper for one thing done frequently isn't an inner platform. An interface that is 50+ methods long, and is harder to use than what you're actually trying to do is an inner platform. A quick rule of thumb is that if you want to write a wrapper for your wrapper, you probably have this problem.

fade

Staff member
I'd say it's not, just because of the sheer amount of "bad" code out there. I agree that your thing that sometimes "looks" stupid isn't necessarily. It's in the first section of the C++ FAQ that you have to use "evil" constructs every once in a while because it's the best option for the specific odd need you have.

And then there's the code I linked above. And any time people continue writing and "enhancing" Inner Platforms (as they are wont to do) and/or defending Antipatterns. /shudder

Note: a wrapper for one thing done frequently isn't an inner platform. An interface that is 50+ methods long, and is harder to use than what you're actually trying to do is an inner platform. A quick rule of thumb is that if you want to write a wrapper for your wrapper, you probably have this problem.
We've got a consultant like this. He likes to make things super generic for expansion we're likely never going to do. The problem is, like that article notes, that his solutions are too generic. They just become thin wrappers on top of the library they're calling. They're genericized to the point that they are unnecessary.

I've pretty much stopped going on Facebook, but for whatever reason I decided to go back on today and I saw a pic of my ex (though I thought I blocked her from my feed). Now, I've been doing well lately. I've been going on dates, enjoyed living on my own, and honestly don't think about her much. I don't miss her at all and would have 0 desire to get back together.

And yet, seeing that picture was like a punch to my gut. It's really upset me, and I can't even explain why. Literally just looking at a picture for a second does this and now I'm worried I might just never get over this which is just making me feel worse.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just opened a 2 liter of soda at my desk and it blew up. WTF. It's literally been sitting on the floor under the desk for days, nothing had shaken it or anything. And now everything's gonna be sticky and some of my paperwork got messed up.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even then, no matter how much you shake a soda, it only takes a half-minute or so for it to calm back down to where you can open it.
Which means somebody would have had to have come into my office and shaken the shit out of it while I was at lunch today.

Underling 1 says she didn't see anybody go in my office. But that could just mean she's in on it...

:fu: