Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

For fucks sake, all I want to do is walk more and get in shape. But no, no, of course my body won't let me. Either the sneakers I have rub against the area around my Achilles tendon and wears down the skin...or I get shin splints or some kind of soreness on the side of my shins.
Take it from a perpetually lazy person, taking long walks after a long period of doing nothing hurts. You have to figure out what pain you have to just suffer through, and which pain is super serious. You probably need new shoes or socks for the ankle rubbing, but the shin splints might just have to be something you suffer through until it gets better.

GasBandit

Staff member
For fucks sake, all I want to do is walk more and get in shape. But no, no, of course my body won't let me. Either the sneakers I have rub against the area around my Achilles tendon and wears down the skin...or I get shin splints or some kind of soreness on the side of my shins.
I know people generally don't want advice when they vent in this thread, but I will say this, for that skin rubbing thing - Moleskin works wonders.

Gmail addresses ignore dots or hyphens, so blah.blah is the same bl.ahblah or blahblah, etc.

Someone has a name very similar to my email address - the dot in his email is in a different spot, so I assume the address either isn't gmail, or is a different gmail domain (is there a gmail.co.uk?), but he lives in England. I get tons of his email. I've pretty much stopped receiving personal stuff (I respond to his friends, to let them know they have the wrong address) but I get newsletters, ebay notifications, spam, all addressed to this guy. Currently I have thirty-two unread emails in my inbox, from about the last three or four days, all for him.

I have no idea what to do about this. I don't know what his actual email address is, so I can't email him to say, "Hey that thing you're bidding on ebay was outbid, and also CHANGE YOUR DAMN EBAY EMAIL."

I got an email from an HR department of a company hiring him, and tried to respond, but got an automated "Do not reply to this address," response.

I unsubscribe from a lot of the stuff, but some things, like ebay, don't seem to acknowledge this, and I just keep on getting it. It's extremely frustrating.

Gmail addresses ignore dots or hyphens, so blah.blah is the same bl.ahblah or blahblah, etc.

Someone has a name very similar to my email address - the dot in his email is in a different spot, so I assume the address either isn't gmail, or is a different gmail domain (is there a gmail.co.uk?), but he lives in England. I get tons of his email. I've pretty much stopped receiving personal stuff (I respond to his friends, to let them know they have the wrong address) but I get newsletters, ebay notifications, spam, all addressed to this guy. Currently I have thirty-two unread emails in my inbox, from about the last three or four days, all for him.

I have no idea what to do about this. I don't know what his actual email address is, so I can't email him to say, "Hey that thing you're bidding on ebay was outbid, and also CHANGE YOUR DAMN EBAY EMAIL."

I got an email from an HR department of a company hiring him, and tried to respond, but got an automated "Do not reply to this address," response.

I unsubscribe from a lot of the stuff, but some things, like ebay, don't seem to acknowledge this, and I just keep on getting it. It's extremely frustrating.

I know the feeling. I regularly get mails for a Richard, Robert, and a Rod [last name] - my e-mail address is rlastname@gmail.com . One of them has a kid who's now somewhere around 12 or 13 and so I constantly get those "do you consent" mails for all kinds of things s/he's signing up for. And, I do know one of their e-mail addresses - it's mine with a dot added, so if it really ignores dots alltogether, that's...um....weird.

In some ways, people who have to make up longer mail addresses have a benefit: less chance of this kind of junk with bobby.thornton.westlake.virginia.1984@blah than with bthornton@blah .

I worked at a CA firm and there was another person with my name. I was hired first so I was firstname.lastname@ and she had a 2 in there. I got a lot of her mail and even tried to respond nicely because we all worked for the same firm. No matter how many times I responded, her department never got it.

And, I do know one of their e-mail addresses - it's mine with a dot added, so if it really ignores dots alltogether, that's...um....weird.
From Google support:
Google said:
If you have a personal account (typically ending in gmail.com), it doesn't matter if people type the period in your username or not.
For example, emails to all of these addresses will be delivered to the same Gmail account:
  • johnsmith@gmail.com
  • jo.hn.smith@gmail.com
  • john.smith@gmail.com
Yeah, if you're sure the only difference is a dot, that's very strange.

I've had this happen quite a few times, too, and I've found that clicking the "reset password" link in the email takes me to the page where I can reset the password, log in as them, change the contact email to something else, and then it's Lesson 22 from then on.

--Patrick

I went to Walmart today to get groceries and some stuff to organize our room. I also got a few big laundry baskets. I had a cart at the store so I was ok. To get it in the house, I put it all in the basket and lifted it. I heard a pop and had pain in my back and now I can hardly walk. I had to go up the stairs on my hands and knees :(

I'm supposed to go for coffee and shopping with a friend tomorrow which I'll likely have to cancel. And....if I'm still this bad, I may not be able to go down to our kitchen at all to,or row if I'm alone.

I'm super angry. At myself. I know I can't lift heavy things anymore since I hurt my arm. I just forget.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Needed to have a conversation tonight.

Thought it would be stressful and contentious. So I planned to have a light natured conversation afterwards with some one else to cheer me back up.

So naturally the order of my conversations got reversed. The one I thought would be hard turned out to be easy.

The one I thought would be happy ended up like Bud vs the black mamba.

From Google support:

Yeah, if you're sure the only difference is a dot, that's very strange.
That really is weird, because I've conversed with Rick in the past and I *know* his e-mail is just one period off of mine. Maybe because it's been this way since Gmail beta and that wasn't the case yet back then? I dunno.

It's also a bit weird, IMO. The + thing is useful for newsletters and triage, the . thing seems to me kind of superfluous. Oh well.

That really is weird, because I've conversed with Rick in the past and I *know* his e-mail is just one period off of mine. Maybe because it's been this way since Gmail beta and that wasn't the case yet back then? I dunno.

It's also a bit weird, IMO. The + thing is useful for newsletters and triage, the . thing seems to me kind of superfluous. Oh well.
I didn't know about that + trick. That's awesome. I'm going to have to implement this.

fade

Staff member
I know the feeling. I regularly get mails for a Richard, Robert, and a Rod [last name] - my e-mail address is rlastname@gmail.com . One of them has a kid who's now somewhere around 12 or 13 and so I constantly get those "do you consent" mails for all kinds of things s/he's signing up for. And, I do know one of their e-mail addresses - it's mine with a dot added, so if it really ignores dots alltogether, that's...um....weird.

In some ways, people who have to make up longer mail addresses have a benefit: less chance of this kind of junk with bobby.thornton.westlake.virginia.1984@blah than with bthornton@blah .
It's a really weird coincidence that your last name is Lastname.

It's a really weird coincidence that your last name is Lastname.
Nah, it's [Last name], but Google won't accept that. My dad wanted to legally change our last name to $MYSQL -BNe "show tables" | awk '{print "set foreign_key_checks=0; drop table `" $1 "`;"}' | $MYSQL but the State employee couldn't properly pronounce it.

Nah, it's [Last name], but Google won't accept that. My dad wanted to legally change our last name to $MYSQL -BNe "show tables" | awk '{print "set foreign_key_checks=0; drop table `" $1 "`;"}' | $MYSQL but the State employee couldn't properly pronounce it.
This makes me think of Jennifer Null

Edit: Short version - some people have names that databases don't expect, like the last name Null being read as literally "null" - no value, making it impossible to do many things online like buy airplane tickets, or file taxes.

"Little Bubble181 Tables," we call him.
some people have names that databases don't expect, like the last name Null being read as literally "null" - no value, making it impossible to do many things online like buy airplane tickets, or file taxes.
Hah! I'd heard of Stephen O before, actually.

This is almost like when that guy changed his license plate to say NO PLATE.

--Patrick

I nearly put this in the big rant thread.

I treated myself to a BK breakfast combo after surviving Black Friday and I placed the bag on my passenger seat. On my brand new hot pink down puffer jacket....that I shouldn't get wet ...

That now has a grease stain from the bag just below the arm pit. FML. Why there?!?

I started coming down with an awful headcold as soon as my parents left, I think I have a date with a bottle of NyQuil tonight.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started coming down with an awful headcold as soon as my parents left, I think I have a date with a bottle of NyQuil tonight.
I thought it was the people who DON'T normally have kids around that were supposed to get sick after visiting with kids! You're doing it wrong, lady.