Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
Is skipping work to go hiking just a Canadian thing?

Well how about skipping work to play video games? That sounds more American.
In all seriousness, it varies depending largely on the employer.

Some employers give a limited number of paid "personal days" per year, but those are generally upper tier/salaried.

Some employers will let you take days off but not pay you for them.

Some will do so begrudgingly and use it as justification for poor performance reviews/denying advancement.

And some will fire you because they can't depend on you given your capricious whims and bohemian nonsense.[DOUBLEPOST=1459538528,1459538312][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow. I can't imagine getting an appointment that quickly.
Whereas I walk into my local clinic and get seen within 10 mins of filling out the paperwork.[DOUBLEPOST=1459539011][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, my whine:

I don't mind being free tech support for my relatives, but my dad has this infuriating insistence that I not touch what is to be fixed, and instead tell him what to do "so he can learn how."

Uuugh it is exasperating.

I don't mind being free tech support for my relatives
I don't, either.
What I do mind is when my relatives go find and bring their buddies to me for help, like I'm supposed to rescue every bird in the forest that fell out of its nest or something.

--Patrick

Ok, my whine:

I don't mind being free tech support for my relatives, but my dad has this infuriating insistence that I not touch what is to be fixed, and instead tell him what to do "so he can learn how."

Uuugh it is exasperating.
Oh my god, my dad does this to. I can figure out or explain anything as long as I can interact with it, but as soon as I have to verbally explain it to someone else, it turns into a shitshow.

I only ask my staff for sick notes to support extended absences. I have one employee who took three months off and is gradually returning to work. That needs a note. Otherwise, for a day or two, I trust my team.

My new boss is many things, but she's good about health issues. I mean she's evil in so much as she has come right out and told me that she didn't care about my health issues and chewed me out for sharing too many details but she doesn't get funny about me taking sick leave.

Yesterday was year end and I carried forward three weeks of unused vacation. Today, I have another four weeks. I will never get approval to use all that in one year. That's why I take all my overtime in cash now.

Meanwhile I have a sore leg and as a result I had to call my doctor and have them fax over an excusal letter because I wouldn't be able to go to work tonight.

Whereas I walk into my local clinic and get seen within 10 mins of filling out the paperwork.
The only thing close to an out-patient clinic here is Minute Clinic inside CVS/Longs Drug Store. We used that once on a Memorial Day weekend when Lily had an ear infection because there was no way in hell I was going to sit at the military hospital's ER on a holiday weekend. I guess they would provide you with a note if you needed one.

Aaaaand after a visit to the not-so-local ER room, I'm feeling better - and spacier than the International Space Station.

Not exactly the way I wanted to end my vacation, that's for sure.

My leg hurts so bad right now I cannot sleep. Too much activity today. Slipped some vicodin. Hopefully it takes effect.

"Lumbosacral Ridiculopathy." Yes, that's what they call it.

One of the lower vertebrae of my back decided it would be fun to try learning to play Van Halen's greatest hits using the nerves down my left leg.

Standing, sitting, laying down - all hurt like hell.

I'm on everyone's favorite, Hyrdocodone/Acetaminophen, to manage the pain. Prednisone is supposed to help the nerves rebuild.

Unfortunately, sitting down to type this out hurts like hell, between my back screaming and my knee aching, so this is about as much as I can type at the moment.

I cut/pasted that from another forum where I posted earlier - it's gotten somewhat better, but my leg and butt still hurt. I dread going back to work - besides the usual reasons, of course - because the concept of having to be on my feet for more than 8 hours... (shudder)

fade

Staff member
To clarify for Bubble, there are walkin clinics all over the place here in the us with open hours. At least every place I've lived. Even the rural can't-see-the-next-house place I grew up. Still I can't imagine going to the doctor for a bad head cold that just had me wiped and that I didn't want to infect everyone else with.[DOUBLEPOST=1459689743,1459689591][/DOUBLEPOST]My whine is that I am feeling the age some days. I refuse to hire movers and my wife and son are out of town for a hockey tournament. So I rented a uhaul and started by myself. Time was I could do this in an afternoon especially with a dolly. But man I was running out of energy earlier than I expected

Reactions: Dei
Woke up at 3am to 55mph winds, snow on the ground, and the house at 60 degrees because we had the A/C on during the day--you know, because it was like 70 outside before we went to bed.

Screw you, Spring :p

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

It seems like all of the mental health professionals who take my insurance only deal with addicts and former addicts. Or at least that's what they advertise. I wonder if any of them branch out at all. Hope so.

Sure the train from Pittsburgh to NYC is 9 hours vs 90 minutes from PIT to LaGuardia, but I was reminded about how much more comfortable the train is compared to coach.

When I lived in Korea I rode in French-built, high-speed trains from one end of the country to the other. So sleek, so shiny and chrome.

Then I got back Stateside and saw Amtrak. It was like I was looking at a beaten up Buick station wagon.

I'm achy and exhausted and it hurts to breath and none of the doomweasels care. I'm going to a walk-in clinic tomorrow morning.

When I lived in Korea I rode in French-built, high-speed trains from one end of the country to the other. So sleek, so shiny and chrome.

Then I got back Stateside and saw Amtrak. It was like I was looking at a beaten up Buick station wagon.
The six hours from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg is partly because they run on Norfolk Southern's freight line. As soon as they get on their own tracks, they move a lot faster.

One wonders what would the passenger rail system in the US look like if the USPS hadn't cancelled all rail contracts in 1967. That decision nearly destroyed the railroads.

GasBandit

Staff member
I only wish dismissing each one was as simple as that. So far I've found 5 which will require personal attention and time to get straightened out >_<[DOUBLEPOST=1459870631,1459870550][/DOUBLEPOST]
WHAT?! Your job still exists?! WHAT NONSENSE IS THIS?!
Ha ha ha ha, I know, right? Apparently my backup has a friend who is a traffic director for another radio station in another city and when she got into trouble, she called THEM instead of me!

Alrighty then!

That said, shit's still all retarded.