Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Look, just because you are slowly learning all of my secrets doesn't mean you have to spread them around. [emoji14]

They're flirting, arguing about grammar - and the kid's in the hospital with a huge post-seizure headache.

Yeah, stay classy, Halforums.

The repetitive name of any gif represents my work day quite well, so pick one and stare at it for ten minutes and you'll see what it's like to be me.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm torn. On the one hand, the technologist in me is exasperated that anybody is still using physical currency when cards/electronic is so much more speedy and efficient... on the other hand, the libertarian in me reviles the thought of making money as a concept even more easily controlled/manipulated/stolen/created by a centralized authority by way of removing the last vestiges of it not being an imaginary construct for all intents and purposes.

I'm torn. On the one hand, the technologist in me is exasperated that anybody is still using physical currency when cards/electronic is so much more speedy and efficient... on the other hand, the libertarian in me reviles the thought of making money as a concept even more easily controlled/manipulated/stolen/created by a centralized authority by way of removing the last vestiges of it not being an imaginary construct for all intents and purposes.
People can still use physical currency if they want. I just want to be able to not have to deal with some old lady counting pennies.

People can still use physical currency if they want. I just want to be able to not have to deal with some old lady counting pennies.
Sure, but then you have to deal with some old lady who forgets her PIN and doesn't realized that the Visa symbol on the card means she can swipe it as credit and have it still come from the same place. :mad:

As long as there are people who want to be anonymous in their purchases... as long as there are people who want to buy things that are illegal... fuck, as long as there is a remote chance that the banks will take the money and run, there WILL be an American Dollar.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sure, but then you have to deal with some old lady who forgets her PIN and doesn't realized that the Visa symbol on the card means she can swipe it as credit and have it still come from the same place. :mad:
This very day I was in line behind a little old lady at the Walgreen's who couldn't figure out how to pay with her card. She kept cancelling her payment by accident. She also didn't understand how to swipe her own card in the slot in front of her. Eventually the cashier indulgently took her card, and saw it had an RFID chip, and stuck it in the other, correct slot, and after that things were able to move forward.

I worked at Target in high school, right around the time that debit cards were becoming more and more common of a payment method. How I did not kill all old people, I do not know.

This very day I was in line behind a little old lady at the Walgreen's who couldn't figure out how to pay with her card. She kept cancelling her payment by accident. She also didn't understand how to swipe her own card in the slot in front of her. Eventually the cashier indulgently took her card, and saw it had an RFID chip, and stuck it in the other, correct slot, and after that things were able to move forward.
Ok, what about a line for people under 60, since that seems to be the common denominator.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, what about a line for people under 60, since that seems to be the common denominator.
I say we just go the Logan's Run route.

Life day! Renew! RENEW!

Hell, that'd balance the budget with a quickness... no social security payouts, no medicare, insurance/hospitals wouldn't have to soak all the end-of-life care expenses....

Death to Grammaw, 2016.

Grocery stores need checkout lanes where the only allowed method of payment is credit/debit card.
...those don't exist in the US? Backwards 3rd world country that you are....:p

Sweden is experimenting with doing away with physical currency all together, having villages where they're illegal to use, and considering extending it to the whole country, with a transfer period where it's possible but taxed more heavily than electronic currency.

I, for one, don't like it in large part because I've seen network outages cause huge delays and it being impossible to pay by card for hours on end....

Reactions: Dei
I had a horrific day health and work wise....I can't even right now.

I turned my drive home into a multi stop photo shoot and gave myself a stuffed bear from the box of bears that was meant to be for Christmas. I took Thor out at the first photo stop....yeah...you know its bad when eh?

Now Thor and I are having a diet coke, a pizza sub and binge-watching Storage Wars.

Storage Wars had a weird flurry of troubles a year or so ago, if I recall correctly. Brandy & Jared's lawsuit against sites purporting to have a sex tape of theirs and using photoshopped images; Mark Belalo getting busted for being a meth dealer and killing himself; Dave Ester suing the show for firing him and claiming it was rigged until they settled and hired him back; Darrel having some sort of domestic problem (divorce?) and having his claim that he once found a body in a storage unit turning out to be false... just weird, weird stuff.

Dave totally flipped out at Dave and Laura, the auctioneers, recently too! Dude's a loose cannon.

It was either this or watching something that would require too much thought.

Dave totally flipped out at Dave and Laura, the auctioneers, recently too! Dude's a loose cannon.

It was either this or watching something that would require too much thought.
One of their replacement bidders, Jeff Jarrett, had a long-running problem with Dan and Laura as well, to the point where if he pissed Dan off, he wouldn't recognize his bid right away.

I say we just go the Logan's Run route.

Life day! Renew! RENEW!

Hell, that'd balance the budget with a quickness... no social security payouts, no medicare, insurance/hospitals wouldn't have to soak all the end-of-life care expenses....

Death to Grammaw, 2016.
You do realize that @Dave and myself would be dead under that old saw? (My Lifeforce jewel ran out 18 years ago...)

Not sure what's going on but last night I woke up in what appeared to some kind of distress. My heartbeat appeared to be fluttering and my watch heart rate monitor had me down around 45bpm a couple times. I could feel my heart trying to pound out of my chest, I had a cold sweat and general feelings of anxiety and fear. Some of it may have been exacerbated by knowing what happened to my sister, but being alone out in the middle of nowhere and trying to decide whether or not to go to the hospital is not a position I like to find myself in. I ended up texting the gf around 2AM knowing she's just coming off of nights and had been out celebrating her best friend's last day at work, but ended up not hearing anything. For the first time since I moved out here, I truly felt isolated - not a great feeling.

GasBandit

Staff member
I overdid it last night. This morning I'm groggy and sluggish and sore. It's hard to think. At least I don't have a headache, thanks to all the water I drink in such circumstances. But every OTHER part of the hangover seems to be here.