Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Of course. They're meeting the palate of their current country. It even said it was a necessary innovation to keep Americans interested. They're nothing wrong with ordering General Tsao's at your usual local Chinese take-out.

But I should also add in places like Flushing (and I know this from experience), you're going to get better treatment if you don't order General Tsao's or beef and broccoli, etc. They'll serve it to you, but it's American junk food to them. It's like going into a French restaurant and ordering chicken fingers. If you go in at least willing to try the authentic dishes, you're going to get better quality food (and sometimes better prices). It's not a secret why a lot of these places have two menus, only one in English.

fade

Staff member
I agree that you should go in willing to try new things. I just take exception lately (thanks to the internet) that the American version of something is somehow lesser.

I agree that you should go in willing to try new things. I just take exception lately (thanks to the internet) that the American version of something is somehow lesser.
I agree, but I think where we're differing is WHO is seeing this: Flushing mainly sees itself as an extension of Asia on US soil (socially, anyway). By going into areas like this and ordering what they consider to be "American food", you're saying that THEIR version is lesser.

It's like going to a brewpub and ordering a Bud Light. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, no - I think we can all agree Bud Light is horse piss sieved. It's going into a Belgian brew pub and ordering the "Belgian style" American beer you always drink at home. It's good on its own terms, and, dependent on where and which and so on may very well be of equal quality or better, but if you're there, it's still a bit of a shame, and shows you as unadventurous - which makes it sort of pointless to go there in the first place.

fade

Staff member
Well, to contradict myself a little, NY is also the place where "Southern" food restaurants commit sins like adding roughly 47000 ingredients to a Southern dish which typically consists of (and derives its goodness from) 3.

GasBandit

Staff member
... I like bud light!

I think what you were trying to say is that it's like going to Australia, going into a pub, and ordering a Foster's.

GasBandit

Staff member
Your capacity for making intelligent choices has always been the topic of debate; now it's been settled.
There's no intellect involved (or proven) in deciding what you think tastes good. Notice I didn't say it was "better" than anything, just that I like it.

LESS TASTE!
MORE FILLING!
LESS TASTE!
MORE FILLING!

fade

Staff member
Lightly yeasty carbonated water. The brits here at work call it "fizzy beer", and for once I'll agree.

Pai gui fan consumed. And it was good. Conversation with hostess turned to my dilemma of wanting to get food worthy of being in Chinatown and not being the Ugly American. She understood exactly where I was coming from.

(And I realize more and more that by comparison, staying in North Bergen would've SUCKED.)

GasBandit

Staff member
No sooner do we finally get rid of the dead rat smell, when some knob goes and microwaves something on a paper plate with shiny foil "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" accent writing on it. Arcing current, sparks, paper plate catches fire, kitchen fills with smoke, half the building now smells like burning paper.

No sooner do we finally get rid of the dead rat smell, when some knob goes and microwaves something on a paper plate with shiny foil "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" accent writing on it. Arcing current, sparks, paper plate catches fire, kitchen fills with smoke, half the building now smells like burning paper.
Would that be better or worse than burning rat?

By the way, the doomweasels will take your rat if you're not going to finish it.

I started watching the US Open Golf Championship... God Dammit! I did not buy a HDTV to watch a tournament played on a damned BROWN course. It is the ugliest golf course that I have ever seen. And, I used to play on a course nicknamed the Country Cowpasture.

I ate too many potatoes au gratin for supper tonight and now I have a stomach ache.

So full. So many angry potatoes.

Is there a doggy daycare in the area?
It is something to consider, but 90 pound dogs are hard to place. And he'll slobber all over the small dogs.

Or a fenced in yard with a doggy door.
There is no fence that can keep him. That makes financial sense...
Or post on craigslist for a stay-at-home wife.

That way, you not only get to keep the dog, you'll also have dinner waiting for you.
NOW THAT IS A THOUGHT! but I don't think it works out that way any more.