Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

A community college, but yeah. Except on Tuesday, when I do the same job at a highly ranked college.

Something is seriously wrong with primary and secondary education if this person is a native speaker of English and has managed to advance all the way to tertiary education without understanding what a password character limit means.

Something is seriously wrong with primary and secondary education if this person is a native speaker of English and has managed to advance all the way to tertiary education without understanding with a password character limit means.
You're not wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
Something is seriously wrong with primary and secondary education if this person is a native speaker of English and has managed to advance all the way to tertiary education without understanding with a password character limit means.
In my experience, it's less of a language problem and more of a "I can't be bothered to pay attention the first 3 times you tell me something" problem. People's brains go on auto pilot and they hear what they want to hear. It takes several times of running into a wall before they're distracted from the other stuff they're thinking about to actually pay attention to what's going on, and actually process information they're presented with.

Something is seriously wrong with primary and secondary education if this person is a native speaker of English and has managed to advance all the way to tertiary education without understanding what a password character limit means.
And a big thank you goes out to the "no child left behind" program for turning our education system into a training program for parakeets that can take a test rather than putting out students who can think.

And a big thank you goes out to the "no child left behind" program for turning our education system into a training program for parakeets that can take a test rather than putting out students who can think.

You know, I said something similar when I was in China about some Chinese students (that mother fraking Gaokao exam), but of course, I'm also speaking about kids who can take a 12 hour study day 6 days a week and take courses in a foreign language because that's just how they roll. I'm a little more than worried about how exactly the next generation is going to turn out.

I can't put all the blame on NCLB.

--Patrick
True enough.

You know, I said something similar when I was in China about some Chinese students (that mother fraking Gaokao exam), but of course, I'm also speaking about kids who can take a 12 hour study day 6 days a week and take courses in a foreign language because that's just how they roll. I'm a little more than worried about how exactly the next generation is going to turn out.
also True enough

In my experience, it's less of a language problem and more of a "I can't be bothered to pay attention the first 3 times you tell me something" problem. People's brains go on auto pilot and they hear what they want to hear. It takes several times of running into a wall before they're distracted from the other stuff they're thinking about to actually pay attention to what's going on, and actually process information they're presented with.
Yup. I've had the same thing happen a dozen times, with people in all brackets of intelligence and education. they get upset when you literally wave your hand in front of their eyes to get their attention, though...Even though that works, sometimes.

Aaaaand that cold feeling in my stomach is my fear being confirmed... Le sigh and other such utterances.
To be fair, the kids I deal with on Tuesday are great. The only difficulty I ever have is around closing time (which is 1 AM) when they're sometimes too engrossed in their work to pack up right away. I usually tell them to finish up while I do a check of the rest of the level (it's a three-story library), after which I come back to make sure they're packing up.

Then again, when your parents are paying over $60k a year to send you to one of the top 40 colleges in the nation, you have a LOT more incentive to do well.

Who wants a library password that long anyway? I mean, my bank password (Well, PIN) is shorter than 8.

PS, it's not "bosco"
Our tech department sets the rules, for better or worse. And it's their school network password, used for terminals (they're all thin clients, not actual PCs), email, subscribed databases, off-campus access, etc. Then they have 3 other accounts to worry about, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not going into specifics, but my passwords tend toward the long as well, ever since my old standard "use for everything" password apparently got leaked/put in a list, and my Guild Wars 2 account got compromised. THAT password was only 8 characters long.

fade

Staff member
I think Razor scooters are carefully designed to spin around and hit you in the most painful part of your ankle when picked up by the handle.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm more confused by why someone wants a 15 character password.
because the magic combination of words they can remember is 15 characters. For example, someone I knew used a password that was made up of (Pet's name)(city of birth)(zip code). It was more than 14 characters.

"Seven plus or minus five" is the general limit to how the human brain stores information. You can't generally remember more than that without grouping things into smaller "chunks" of information.

Seven is the reason why phone numbers are that much, plus the area code.

7 +/- 2, actually. And note current research puts the number closer to 4 +/- 1
Last I saw was that the brain prefers to "chunk" in groups of 3-4. Larger groups are broken up into chunks of 3-4. I've actually tried to stretch my brain by trying to chunk in larger and larger groups (when doing things like copying phone numbers or reading serial numbers), but I keep catching myself slipping back into 3-4.

--Patrick

Had a job interview today - scheduled at 9am. I had to work till 11:30pm so not too great. They asked to reschedule to 11:45am. OK. I arrive at 11:10. Waiting, waiting...At 11:55, they ask me if it's ok to come back at 2:30pm. I'm almost out of the building when they call me back asking to wait - maybe they'll squeeze me in after the last one after all. At 12:30 they tell me, nope, the afternoon, but could I come back at 2:15? ACK I JUST WASTED HALF A DAY AND AN HOUR ISNT ENOUGH TO GO HOME AND EAT AND GET BACK SO YOU'RE WASTING ALL OF MY DAY FOR A 15 MIN INTERVIEW FOR A JOB I WON'T GET ANYWAY IT'S WARGARBL GRAHHH JUST WANT TO HIT STUFF I'm already stressed out enough over this as it is! WHY OH WHY WHAT HE F****. Get your affairs in order, bunch of numbskulls...I mean, respectable members of parliament. Cough. IDIOTS.

Had a job interview today - scheduled at 9am. I had to work till 11:30pm so not too great. They asked to reschedule to 11:45am. OK. I arrive at 11:10. Waiting, waiting...At 11:55, they ask me if it's ok to come back at 2:30pm. I'm almost out of the building when they call me back asking to wait - maybe they'll squeeze me in after the last one after all. At 12:30 they tell me, nope, the afternoon, but could I come back at 2:15? ACK I JUST WASTED HALF A DAY AND AN HOUR ISNT ENOUGH TO GO HOME AND EAT AND GET BACK SO YOU'RE WASTING ALL OF MY DAY FOR A 15 MIN INTERVIEW FOR A JOB I WON'T GET ANYWAY IT'S WARGARBL GRAHHH JUST WANT TO HIT STUFF I'm already stressed out enough over this as it is! WHY OH WHY WHAT HE F****. Get your affairs in order, bunch of numbskulls...I mean, respectable members of parliament. Cough. IDIOTS.
Is this the same one that jerked you around on Friday? Firmly, but politely, tell them to BLOW IT OUT THEIR ASS FOR WASTING ALL YOUR TIME. :p :)

Utah weather makes me cry. It was 70 degrees yesterday, but then within a few hours it dropped to 28 and now there's an inch of snow. WHY...

And I was all ready to go lay out in my swimsuit and work on my sun tan tattoo! :(

Whomever keeps bringing the flu to work should be dragged through the shop by a forklift. Finally get my damn blood sugar where it's supposed to be for the first time in, oh, about a decade, only to get the damn stomach flu.

Have a 4.0 G.P.A. going into my final quarter of school to get my paralegal degree. Going to be interning at the local county public defender's office, and everything seems to be going smoothly. But of course, like every other time things have gone well for me, life decides "Well, we can't fucking have that, now can we? How about we have your school get hit with a $30 million fine by the Department of Education and be threatened with immediate closure by the State Attorney General?" Because what else should I have fucking expected at this point, an actual happy ending?

Have a 4.0 G.P.A. going into my final quarter of school to get my paralegal degree. Going to be interning at the local county public defender's office, and everything seems to be going smoothly. But of course, like every other time things have gone well for me, life decides "Well, we can't fucking have that, now can we? How about we have your school get hit with a $30 million fine by the Department of Education and be threatened with immediate closure by the State Attorney General?" Because what else should I have fucking expected at this point, an actual happy ending?
According to this Washington Post article, they are legally obligated to help you complete your education or finish up elsewhere.

Dude... what the fuck did your school (allegedly) do?