Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

It happens pretty rarely because we're a tiny dot in the big ocean. The last big one was over 20 years ago. They usually go north or south and the most we get out of it is some rain. This one looks like it's going to weaken, but it still can cause a lot of problems with the electrical grid and getting supplies. The islands supposedly only have enough supplies to last 3 days at any one time. It can take a week for shipments to reach here since they come by boat.
The stores are being emptied particularly of bottled water. I went out last night to get some groceries we would have needed anyway. The line for checkout was practically from one side of the store to the other. It's not like people can evacuate to another part of the state where it's safer or there are more food stuffs in the stores.

GasBandit

Staff member
Uuuugh the "Back to School" advertising is starting up. It's SO vacuous and patronizing. Spend! Spend, you gullible broodmares! You don't love your crotchspawn unless you've bought them new ensembles to wear to their fall GoodThink indoctrination!

But Gas, they can't do their homework with last years backpack and pencils! What is this, some third world country?

No wait, they wouldn't have pencils. Or schools. Or anything to put in a backpack, really.[DOUBLEPOST=1407273305,1407273221][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and the whine I came here for: guess who has two thumbs and just had a his phone brick for no reason, forcing a restore and a loss of not one, but three kid's birthdays worth of pictures!

Goddamned disposable tech...

You know, I thought I'd feel better about back to school ads because for the first time, it doesn't mean I have to go back to school. Instead, I'm more upset by them.

Uuuugh the "Back to School" advertising is starting up. It's SO vacuous and patronizing. Spend! Spend, you gullible broodmares! You don't love your crotchspawn unless you've bought them new ensembles to wear to their fall GoodThink indoctrination!
Those new ensembles are sometimes necessity at the beginning of the school year since their clothes from last year probably don't fit. The sales are great particularly when your kid has already grown out of two sets of shoes over the summer.

First, there was the getting "forced" this weekend.

Then, there was the lack of sleep associated with said issue.

And then, to top it all off, I walk out of a physical therapy appointment this morning to find... I had a flat tire.

fade

Staff member
Look, I'm an introvert and I'm socially awkward. But introversion is the new Aspergers, in that it's gone beyond an explanation to an internet-fueled self-diagnosis used as an excuse. Also, the whole "IM NOT SHY IM INTROVERTED" stuff bugs me. It is possible to be both. Hell, I'd argue it's not even unusual to be both. Or introverted and socially awkward. It may be true that you find social interaction draining, but it may also simultaneously be true that you suck at it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Look, I'm an introvert and I'm socially awkward. But introversion is the new Aspergers, in that it's gone beyond an explanation to an internet-fueled self-diagnosis used as an excuse. Also, the whole "IM NOT SHY IM INTROVERTED" stuff bugs me. It is possible to be both. Hell, I'd argue it's not even unusual to be both. Or introverted and socially awkward. It may be true that you find social interaction draining, but it may also simultaneously be true that you suck at it.
Could be worse, you could be a 13 year old self-diagnosed PTSD autistic cancerous bipolar asexual sex-addict non-binary genderfluid otherkin.

Cajungal

Staff member
@fade I have to agree, I see introversion treated like some kind of special-needs condition on facebook. You're not severely autistic, blind, and armless. You just need to recharge after being in large groups of people. If you're assertive it doesn't have to be that big a deal.

Ugh. I hate the day off today and did nothing. The only thing I did was play a bunch of Plague Inc that I picked up on Steam. Hell, I even went back to bed for awhile, which I haven't done once since starting to use the CPAP machine.

Two bright sides, at least: I went for a 6 KM walk early this evening. And I've been texting with the girl from work that I mentioned in the Epic Win thread.

Day got worse update: got out of my car at a parking lot, went to put my sunglasses back in the car, glasses came with - and landed lens-down on the concrete.

Could be worse, you could be a 13 year old self-diagnosed PTSD autistic cancerous bipolar asexual sex-addict non-binary genderfluid otherkin.
Kid dropped the cancer self-diagnosis.

I was gonna blame you for making me check that page out, but in the end, I'm still the dummy that clicked.

So that girl from work I've been chatting with?

She admitted she's only 18.

Hoo boy, do I feel like a creeper now.[DOUBLEPOST=1407293031,1407292848][/DOUBLEPOST]It must be that she's a mother because she carries herself as more mature.

*sigh* Cue the Elvis pic because yes, she does seem more mature for her age.

The bright side to all this, I suppose?
1) Her first guess to my age was 21. So many people never believe me when I told them I'm 36.
2) I've been single now going on 3 years, so it was an ego boost to be asked out, I suppose.[DOUBLEPOST=1407293610,1407293438][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wrong Elvis. WRONG ELVIS!

doomdragon6

Staff member
As someone who tried to date a 19-year-old who seemed VERY mature for her age, I can very easily say that people that young still have typical that-age immaturities and you should tread with extreme caution should you attempt to continue.

I'm 26, so I think "What was I like 7 years ago. How much has happened between me being 19 and now. That is how much difference there is between our ages."

Oh, and she admitted that she WAS asking me out that day, which I told her was a huge ego boost for me with the way I've been feeling about myself in the last few years. She said she's had a huge crush on me for a few weeks, that I was nice and funny and always cheered her up, even after a really sucky customer.

STUPID GODDAMN AGE DIFFERENCES.

GasBandit

Staff member
The half-your-age-plus-7 rule aside, I hate to be the guy (but that seems to be my job) who points it out, but this girl is setting off all kinds of warning alarms for me now. An 18 year old tattoo-drenched single mother who immediately starts hitting on the first 36 year old she sees the day after her boyfriend breaks it off with her because she's asking the "where is this going" questions?

Yeah, my advice is to start faking some disgusting habits so she loses interest in you. I know that sounds a bit cowardly, but at this point I'm wondering if "stabby" is the next bombshell to hit the reveal train.

The half-your-age-plus-7 rule aside, I hate to be the guy (but that seems to be my job) who points it out, but this girl is setting off all kinds of warning alarms for me now. An 18 year old tattoo-drenched single mother who immediately starts hitting on the first 36 year old she sees the day after her boyfriend breaks it off with her because she's asking the "where is this going" questions?

Yeah, my advice is to start faking some disgusting habits so she loses interest in you. I know that sounds a bit cowardly, but at this point I'm wondering if "stabby" is the next bombshell to hit the reveal train.
Eh, she's young and was probably feeling emotional about the break up. Hard to blame her there.

I may have over-sold the number of tattoos. Of what I could see, she only really had two significant ones on her chest.

Today sucked.

Haven't slept well since Hermes died--been tired enough to go to bed, but I toss and turn and can't stay down. Tired at work. My manager's leaving for a week and a half, which means all hell will break loose in 3, 2, 1 ...

What set me off was, I had a moment of "treat yourself" after doing a bunch of errands and decided to have dinner at Subway since my wife was at therapy. The meatball marinara fell apart the moment I opened it--I mean, they soggied the bread so much with sauce that meatballs broke through the bread. I hadn't eaten anything before a giant slop pile had formed on the paper at the Subway table. If they had forks, I would've put up with my meatball stew, but they didn't. Had my wife been there, she would've raised hell, but since the people behind the counter didn't speak English too well and I didn't want to be an asshole, I just threw the mess out and left.

And then more fun ...

Mouse poison set out.

I was feeling like shit the way home. Then I tore out the oven barricade--mouse droppings scattered. Not only that, but as I struggled to get the poison box open ("just pull the tab!" WHAT FUCKING TAB?!), not a few minutes had passed before I heard scrabbling under the oven, like they were waiting me to give up.

I hope tomorrow is less annoying.

Eh, she's young and was probably feeling emotional about the break up. Hard to blame her there.

I may have over-sold the number of tattoos. Of what I could see, she only really had two significant ones on her chest.
You got asked out AND you've got the sense to avoid a situation that sounds really, really bad. I would call this a double-win for you.

My girlfriend has only been away since Friday and I am already going into miserable grumpy prick mode.

I am one sad, codependent, sack of shit.

Dude, she's literally HALF my age. She was born when I was getting ready for university. That's just...no. No, that's too young.
Yeah, when I was 27 I tried dating an 18 year old.

Holy shit was that a terrible mistake. Wow. I had to break it off after two weeks because a) I felt too creepy, and b) our frames of reference were too wildly different.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Yeah, when I was 27 I tried dating an 18 year old.

Holy shit was that a terrible mistake. Wow. I had to break it off after two weeks because a) I felt too creepy, and b) our frames of reference were too wildly different.
See, I used a few criteria to determine if her age would be a problem:

- Do you like Space Jam? (Answer had to be anything other than "What's Space Jam?" [Answer was she loved it.])
- What's your favorite starter Pokemon? (Fail = Anything past Gen II, Bronze = Gen II, Silver = Gen 1, Gold = Bulbasaur, which she picked.)
- You were born around the time the N64 came out. Are NES and SNES references too old for you? (Answer: "No! I'm actually playing Earthbound right now, and I can trounce you in every Mario Kart there is.")

I fell for this girl a little too hard is what I'm saying. I really hate shit didn't work out.

See, I used a few criteria to determine if her age would be a problem:

- Do you like Space Jam? (Answer had to be anything other than "What's Space Jam?" [Answer was she loved it.])
- What's your favorite starter Pokemon? (Fail = Anything past Gen II, Bronze = Gen II, Silver = Gen 1, Gold = Bulbasaur, which she picked.)
- You were born around the time the N64 came out. Are NES and SNES references too old for you? (Answer: "No! I'm actually playing Earthbound right now, and I can trounce you in every Mario Kart there is.")

I fell for this girl a little too hard is what I'm saying. I really hate shit didn't work out.
That Pokemon question is BS! I've played every version of Pokemon, and can't guarantee I'd pick a first two gen answer. This is also due to watching all the series of Pokemon with my daughter BUT STILL.

(sarcasm hand signals)

That Pokemon question is BS! I've played every version of Pokemon, and can't guarantee I'd pick a first two gen answer. This is also due to watching all the series of Pokemon with my daughter BUT STILL.

(sarcasm hand signals)
No, Dei, if you played gen one first, you're obligated to pick from gen one for your favorite. You're also obligated to feel affection for first gen Pokemon even when you play a new Pokemon, even for gen one Pokemon you used to hate, and your preferences must gravitate towards them even as you try to diversify your team.

This is PokeHipster Law.