Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Got shot down by a girl that I like. Had the whole lets be friends thing. me: "no thanks." Had a glass of whisky with my friends and a little
Weed and now everything is rosy again. I hope

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't stand the nasal punk warbling of Screeching Weasel. But I love the nasal punk warbling of the Dead Milkmen. I wonder why.

But yeah, that whole "let's just be friends" thing always struck me as being like "No, you can't eat the cupcake, but you can sit here and smell it and then watch as some other guy eats it. Isn't that just as good?"

Last edited:
There is no such thing as cuddling too much with a Doomie.
I used to love when mine would sit on my shoulder, curled around the back of my neck like a stole. He was so funny. I was trying to train him to ride in the hood of my jacket but he wouldn't stay there.

I can't stand the nasal punk warbling of Screeching Weasel. But I love the nasal punk warbling of the Dead Milkmen. I wonder why.

But yeah, that whole "let's just be friends" thing always struck me as being like "No, you can't eat the cupcake, but you can sit here and smell it and then watch as some other guy eats it. Isn't that just as good?"
It's not supposed to be as good, but it's a little out of sorts to expect another human being to accept "You're either with me, or we can't have anything to do with each other at all.", regardless of the gender. Some of my 'crushes' turned into life long friends who I wouldn't date in a second nowadays.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not supposed to be as good, but it's a little out of sorts to expect another human being to accept "You're either with me, or we can't have anything to do with each other at all.", regardless of the gender. Some of my 'crushes' turned into life long friends who I wouldn't date in a second nowadays.
I suppose it depends upon the intensity of the fixation, and the availability of alternatives. Of course, it helps when apparently one is working his way through all the women in Canada in alphabetical order, eh?

I'm up to C!
Careful somewhere around the letter E. Some women whose name begins with that letter have minions to avenge rejection. ;)

Anyway, as for the "let's just be friends" - it can work, but it really depends on a lot of factors. One of them being whether or not the woman even means "let's be friends". Sometimes it's really what she's saying, other times, it's "I don't want anything more to do with you and every interaction from now on will be awkward and short. like you".

I realize I may be exacerbating the issue here, but I'm sick of hearing about Justin Bieber. She's plastered all over my facebook feed and now I hear the news talking about her in my grandpa's room. And I'm just like, isn't there a war going on, or something bad in the Ukraine, or our net neutrality rights being stripped away, why is all we're hearing about some woman who egged a house or something?

doomdragon6

Staff member
A'right, here's my whine; an update to all the breakup drama from 5 months ago. (God damn time flies...)

5 months ago I had that awful mess of a breakup thread and that awful mess of a breakup. To recap, we were together for 4.5 years. She'd moved to Japan to teach (for 3 years planned) and expected me to come with her. That's a bit unreasonable on her part, I've realized, but a lot of other shit caused the breakup to become necessary. One of them was that I just was not ready to commit at all. She was ready for marriage and all of that and I just was not at all.

So, immediately after the breakup, some bad stuff happened (literally the day after I left) and she was begging me to chat with her to help her feel better and I just couldn't. I wasn't in any kind of mental condition to help her, and I knew that if I did she would convince me to stay with her somehow. So unfortunately I had to shut her out. This labeled me as an asshole by her friends, family, and whatever.

So after about 2 weeks where she hasn't contacted me, she blocked me on Facebook and her sister came to tell me off and tell me to never speak to them again. So, understandably, I thought she hated me. I'd wanted to contact her some, but just couldn't bring myself to.

At the 2.5 month mark, she got into a long-distance relationship with her internet friend of 10 years who lives in England (and she's probably always had a crush on), which kind of devastated me, because I'd been coming to the conclusion that maybe she was the one for me and all that jazz. I was going to contact her before long, but well. Fuck me, right? Only 2.5 months. Oh, and after this year of teaching in Japan she's going to grad school in England. GUESS WHO'S IN ENGLAND. WEEEE.

Anyway, this sent me into a spiraling depression. I contacted her and did a bunch of embarassing shit, but we were at least able to be friendly. But, obsessing over her and everything was killing me, so I cut contact. She eventually unblocked me so she could see my posts in a group we share with the convention we run, but I just blocked her back because I couldn't stand seeing her posts. That may have given her the impression that I didn't want to talk to her, as she hasn't contacted me in about a month, or I her.

Anyway, it's now about 2.5 months after she got with him, and I'd say I probably didn't start my -real- breakup process until after she got with him, so she's likely twice as moved on as I am. She had her British Prince Charming to help her pick up the pieces and all of that.

Where I am, I'd say I'm at about 5/6th moved on. I still miss her, like, a lot, but I'm working on being happy on my own and am improving myself in so many ways. Taking saxophone lessons, voice lessons, dance lessons, picked up archery, and have been exercising just about every day along with sticking to a healthy diet. I've lost a decent bit of weight in addition to what I'd already lost and have gained a good bit of muscle. (I think I look pretty bitchin'.) Also been upping my wardrobe and looking waaaaaay nicer than I ever did. Like, damn y'all.

And, I went on a date a few days ago. It sure wasn't a big date and wasn't especially romantic, but hanging out with one of literally five single girls I know was nice. I need to meet more people. Oy.

Anyway, I'm currently on the teetering stages of hanging on and letting go. I know I need to let go once and for all and for good, but it's really hard. Like I said, I'm close, 5/6th of the way there. Maybe another month should do it.

It's just crazy hard when you spent a very important 4.5 years with someone (who you were friends with 1.5 years before that) and they just move on like it was nothing, and you have to figure out what the hell you're doing.

I haven't heard anything about her in a while, but from what I heard before she seems happy. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I wish I was wrong, but she's seemed crazy happy. I'd just like to feel like she's struggling some still, or still cries some at night, or something. But, probably not.

Anyway, that's my whine. Just missing a girl that completely fucked my head. Weeee!

I'm sorry you're hurting, but do you really wish she was miserable after you broke up with her? I don't think you're that person.

For future reference with someone, when you're done, be done. Don't backtrack.

It's been my experience that someone who's insanely attached to someone and dependant as this girl sounded from your previous threads, tend to latch onto the first person that shows interest. I don't think she's been after this guy she's seeing now but I think the moment she realized you were no longer going to come back she had to find someonelse so as not to be alone. I could be wrong but that's just my previous experiences with people like that.

It's been my experience that someone who's insanely attached to someone and dependant as this girl sounded from your previous threads, tend to latch onto the first person that shows interest. I don't think she's been after this guy she's seeing now but I think the moment she realized you were no longer going to come back she had to find someonelse so as not to be alone. I could be wrong but that's just my previous experiences with people like that.
^ Pretty much this. None of us know this girl, so it's all speculation, but from everything you've described she has some serious dependency issues.

You might too, but one step at a time here.

doomdragon6

Staff member
No, I don't wish her to be miserable. I just want to know she's struggling -a little- and isn't frollicking in daisies without me.

Yes, she is absolutely dependent. There's no doubt in my mind that she latched on to the first guy that showed any interest. That doesn't make her going to ENGLAND for him any less painful.

As far as -me- being dependent, I'd say maybe a -little-. I'm comfortable on my own, but I do like someone I can always go to to do something with. I've only seen 2 movies since I've been back because I don't have anyone to go with. And it's not so much being dependent, as it is I built 4.5 of my most formative years with a girl and developed most of my adult experiences with her, and now I have to build with someone else later. So you know, it's just rough. But it's my first big breakup, so I guess I'm doing okay.

Eh, who knows where life will go. I may miss her, but I'm becoming one awesome dude again.

Appreciate the words, guise.

No, I don't wish her to be miserable. I just want to know she's struggling -a little- and isn't frollicking in daisies without me.
Remember how hard it was on her when you were waffling back and forth about leaving? That was when she struggled. Sure she latched on to someone new when you were gone, but don't expect her to grieve forever. M guess is no matter what face she puts on for everyone else is, it's not the truth. It never is, even with you.

fade

Staff member
Not to attack or anything but I have to admit I'm confused by "we were together for 6 years" and "I wasn't ready to commit". 6 years seems pretty committed already.