Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Are we talking diva renditions, or just regular songs? BecauawuaaauaahwhooaaawhoaawhoaaaaaaAAAAaaaieieeeyeeiiieeeyiyiyieyiiieeeaaayaaauuauwhoahohohooooaaaaause it's easy to see the problem with the former.
Almost all songs. It's simple if I'm reading the lyrics while I'm listening. If I am not, I don't understand anything. Also, I have problems with australian accent.

Almost all songs. It's simple if I'm reading the lyrics while I'm listening. If I am not, I don't understand anything. Also, I have problems with australian accent.
It's difficult for me to understand French singing; I think it's probably a combination of artistic license (may not be grammatical/may be slang) and hearing the words melodiously (different stress) that makes it a challenge to comprehend music in a foreign language.

Probably a pattern-matching thing. If your brain keeps getting caught in the "ruts" dug by your own native language, you won't be able to template match the other language if the variance from your expected template gets too wide.

--Patrick

It's difficult for me to understand French singing; I think it's probably a combination of artistic license (may not be grammatical/may be slang) and hearing the words melodiously (different stress) that makes it a challenge to comprehend music in a foreign language.

That and your ears just aren't trained for it. When dealing with a foreign language, speed, other noises (such as music) and unexpected emphasis or delivery can all make it difficult to decipher, which is probably what @Cog is running into.

I think it helps if you try to listen to fast-paced music. If you can halfways pick up what's being said on a fast beat, you'll probably do fine on slower songs, and go from there. That's how it was for me, in English. Couldn't understand RHCP (my favourite band as a kid) unless I read the lyrics and tried hard. When I ended up listening (and reading) stuff like Wu Tang and Eminem, going back to slower/more lyrical stuff was a breeze, I could understand nearly everything.

The same would apply to other languages, I'm guessing. Sink or swim?

I just want to be at home and writing all day.
Oh sure, you say that now. But if you were at home, you would just be obsessing over all the things that need to be done around the house but aren't because you are writing instead of righting.

What you want is to be in one of the rooms at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, snowed in and unable to go anywhere yet cozy warm with full utilities and a big ol' mug of warm, tasty* mulled beverage sitting next to your keyboard.

...I may be projecting a little.

--Patrick
*>40 proof

Oh sure, you say that now. But if you were at home, you would just be obsessing over all the things that need to be done around the house but aren't because you are writing instead of righting.

What you want is to be in one of the rooms at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, snowed in and unable to go anywhere yet cozy warm with full utilities and a big ol' mug of warm, tasty* mulled beverage sitting next to your keyboard.

--Patrick
*>40 proof
While I would do the dishes I didn't finish last night, it would take a very small amount of time, and I would almost definitely ignore all else to be writing, particularly since I'm a fairly organised person and I am ahead on most of my duties this week.

However, I would totally do the hotel thing with a nice bottle of Lagavulin.

--Patrick
*>40 proof

But we all know how leaving a writer in a snowed in hotel works out...

Sign me up for getting snowed in at the Grand Hotel - or any Grand Hotel, really. I'll take a bottle of Lagavulin as well.

What's that? Writers getting snowed in? Sounds like they need a sexy caretaker!

Wait a minute... we need to sexy that up.

There we go.

Dear Sam's Club,

I recently visited your clubhouse local to my office to purchase orange juice with which I intended to replenish my body's liquid reserves, recently diminished incident to an illness I am currently recovering from. Upon discovering the area in which you stocked the desired item I found that my choices of orange juice were quite limited! I could choose "extra pulp" or "pulp free."

I do not wish to bore you with my philosophy on matters pertaining to the pulp content of the ideal orange juice, merely to say that I neither wished to chew my beverage or experience something only marginally better than orange flavored water.

Hydration being the goal, though, I swallowed my dismay and chose the lessor of two evils - pulp free. However I wanted to make you aware of this glaring omission in the hope that you would desire to better serve your customers in the future by providing a complete selection of orange beverage choices.

Best regards,
stienman

P.S. Literally the only time I ever have to recall my debit card's PIN is when I visit you. Consider accepting Visa - I understand they don't give you as good a deal as Mastercard and Discover, but it would please me, and I'm sure many others, to never have to deal with PIN numbers again. You accept Visa at the gas station, so let's be honest - it's not really such a bad deal, is it?

P.P.S. Your fuel prices are cheaper per gallon than your bovine lactate prices. Please consider lowering your milk prices, as my children become quite cranky when we feed them unleaded.
Sams Club said:
Dear stienman,

We appreciate your recent visit. It is good to hear that you are recovering from your recent illness. We hope you will have a long and healthy life as a Sam's Club customer.

As you know, our stores cater to customers who have sudden, immediate needs for vast amounts of items. At any hour of the day, someone may need to buy several hundred gallons of orange juice. As a result of having to stock in such volume, sacrifices in variety have to be made. As you were not feeling well, it is understandable that you missed the obvious solution. We need not stock orange juice with average pulpiness because all a customer need do is buy one of each of the stocked varieties (in this case, skim and extra-chunky) and mix them.

I hope this clarifies any problem you may have had.

Sam, the Man

P.S. Remembering your PIN number helps keeps your brain active and studies have shown that an active brain fends off Alzhimer's and we want you to be a customer for a good, long time.

P.S.S. This is America, we run on gas.

I wondered at what I saw as the obvious solution as well.
But considering that most OJ is not real OJ anyway, it does not appear in our house nearly as often as prior to this discovery.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
That article seems a bit self contradictory and alarmist. They relied on the ol' dihydrogen monoxide trick to scare readers. Basically "this is the chemical name for the agent in oranges that creates orange flavor."

all they do is the same thing they do to most juices. the color and flavor is real, just the "essence of the fruit". It is obtained from the real thing, and yes they can make it in a lab, and yes cheaper juices will use artificial flavor. Ever wonder why Sunny-D taste and smells like perfume!? yep, ethyl-butyrate.

I hate living in a small freaking town.

I was having issues, likely related to my car accident (see the "Demolition Derby" thread), but the clinic here in town wasn't able to get me in so I could see someone.

So guess what I gotta do - drive 30 minutes one-way to the big hospital complex in Wausau to be seen by a doc that accepts my insurance.

I'll drink sunny d if it's all that's available, but it does not taste particularly good to me...
If I'm hot and dehydrated, Sunny D is downright delicious and I can't pour enough of it down my throat fast enough.
But if I drink it when I'm only a little thirsty, it reminds me more of that drink labeled "Orange" you get from a fountain machine at the fast food drive thru.

Also, I miss Cran-Blueberry. I really, really liked that stuff. For now I make do with Cranberry Blueberry Blackberry Blend which, when mixed 2:1 with Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash, will satisfy my sugar cravings for almost 16hrs. Also, with enough added Chambord, you can sleep for 16hrs, too.

--Patrick

All of the other things aside - because, seriously, eww, all of the options are crappy when that's your OJ choice - PIN are a godsend and you 'mericans who do'nt want to use them are an incredible oddity.
My credit and debet cards are automatically blocked unless I unblock them for all of them ost dangerous countries in the world - you know, Iran, Nigeria, the USA, North-Korea,... - the countries where most international credit card fraud and debet card fraud is commited. And the #1 reason why the USA is the #1 spot in the world for fraud, is because you guys can't get around to using the proper data on a card. There's a chip - use it instead of the magnetic band. There's a PIN - use it instead of some easily-forged and uncheckable signature.
Thank you.

(all the "H2O" junk aside, chemically they may be identical but I can taste the difference between concentrated-and-re-hydrated or actually pure juice. Texture's something we still struggle to replicate)

All of the other things aside - because, seriously, eww, all of the options are crappy when that's your OJ choice - PIN are a godsend and you 'mericans who do'nt want to use them are an incredible oddity.
My credit and debet cards are automatically blocked unless I unblock them for all of them ost dangerous countries in the world - you know, Iran, Nigeria, the USA, North-Korea,... - the countries where most international credit card fraud and debet card fraud is commited. And the #1 reason why the USA is the #1 spot in the world for fraud, is because you guys can't get around to using the proper data on a card. There's a chip - use it instead of the magnetic band. There's a PIN - use it instead of some easily-forged and uncheckable signature.
Thank you.

(all the "H2O" junk aside, chemically they may be identical but I can taste the difference between concentrated-and-re-hydrated or actually pure juice. Texture's something we still struggle to replicate)
You make it sound like we all had a vote and decided to go with magnetic bands instead of the chip. Our banking industry actively blocks efforts to switch to more secure methods because of the billions upon billions they would spend re-issuing cards, retooling ATMs and card readers, and retooling the manufacturing. They're lazy asshats, we all know it over here, but thanks to our lobbying in Congress system they will continue to ride roughshod over the consumer.

You make it sound like we all had a vote and decided to go with magnetic bands instead of the chip. Our banking industry actively blocks efforts to switch to more secure methods because of the billions upon billions they would spend re-issuing cards, retooling ATMs and card readers, and retooling the manufacturing. They're lazy asshats, we all know it over here, but thanks to our lobbying in Congress system they will continue to ride roughshod over the consumer.
I did say "the USA", not "all of you American citizens, one by one, individually" :p

There's plenty of stuff like that all over the place (hello Imperial system to stick with you guys, but driving on the left hand side of the road in South Africa is just as silly)

Currently working-ish from home, because I can't get to work, because there's a grand total of 1 inch of snow locally and I live on top of a massive hill, which they never plow, de-ice, sand, or otherwise treat for safety in the wintertime. Yay for living in a shitty X-burb in a metro that can't handle snow. So I'm using Skype to communicate with my main co-workers until the snow switches to rain in a little while and I can get down off my damn hill and actually go to work. It's really not good when one of the two people responsible for making sure the shop has their cutting patterns can't make it to work, and even worse when that same person is also responsible for making sure that the materials for said shop are actually purchased and on-site.

And now they've closed the streets leading up and down the hills completely. So much for work today. Ah well, Minecraft, I guess.

Last edited:
So many dishes. Why did I have people over for dinner? Do I like people? Is this a thing that's happening to me? I don't want to be known as that guy who likes people.

Today's been so meh that I can't blame my wife for insisting we get frozen yogurt.

First the movie we saw was a disappointment. Then we went to the pet store to pick up supplies and saw a baby rat alone in a tank. Now, I know that we shouldn't be getting any more pets right now, but I felt bad that his sibling/siblings were gone. We had a clerk take him out and it got worse--he was sweet and calm. He nestled against my arm. I noticed he had large ears and a stubby tail--a dumbo rat. We've never had one, but we wanted to. The clerk told us she tried to get the people who took his brother to understand that you need two rats or there will be issues, that if you want just one animal you need to get a hamster, but they didn't listen. She said they could try mixing him in with another small boy because he's so young--among the littlest they've ever had in the store.

So I was all set to go through with this stupid decision, but then the baby started sneezing and my wife heard congestion in his breathing. We couldn't take him, one, because we can't expose our big boys to illness, and two, neither of us could get off work for a vet visit tomorrow, meaning it wouldn't be until the next week that we'd have a chance. At his level of congestion, that time period could be fatal. The clerk said she would tell the manager and get him to their vet tomorrow. I'm sure she will say something, but I don't know if the management will care. My wife says they will--baby animals are seen as a higher priority and the investment is also in what people will pay for in pet supplies. But I don't know for a fact and I never will. It just put me in a sour mood because I would've happily taken him home otherwise.

And then people in the grocery store were trudging and I just wanted to be away from people.