Which is the least likely minority to be elected President of the USA?

Which is the least likely minority to be elected USA President?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is a little convoluted, so let me try to explain. If you pick "Woman", then you think the USA would sooner elect every other "type" up there to President, BEFORE a woman. And for the sake of keeping it simple, assume each adjective is the only thing different from "normal". For example, if you pick "atheist", assume said candidate is married, white, rich, male, etc otherwise. If I left out some minority, I sincerely apologize.

Dave

Staff member
Whoa. Interesting question. Remember that they didn't want to elect Kennedy because he was Catholic! Personally, I think Muslim or Transsexual are the two biggest bets because it would be hard for them to overcome prejudice from right wing nutjobs or homophobes, respectively.

We've spent too much time promoting anti-Muslim agendas to switch to that.

Personally I'd like to see an Atheist get elected. That way everyone is represented equally, not just Christians for a change.

My vote was very close between Atheist and Transsexual. But I think a bigger issue with Transsexuals is just the general populace not being educated or knowing anything about them. People know what an Atheist is, and still thinks they are completely subhuman beasts for the most part.

Dave

Staff member
My vote was very close between Atheist and Transsexual. But I think a bigger issue with Transsexuals is just the general populace not being educated or knowing anything about them. People know what an Atheist is, and still thinks they are completely subhuman beasts for the most part.
I think that might be a bit off base because there are more and more Atheists every year and more people who associate themselves with at least Agnostic beliefs. However, there isn't a large transsexual population who have lobbyists or anything more visible than the gay pride parades - and we all know how those work to help the cause. :rolleyes:

W

WolfOfOdin

I'm going to have to go with Athiest

The majority of 'moral' America sees Athiests as depraved, hedonistic monsters that are screaming in vain agaisnt their coming punishment. I know that's not true, the GF's an athiest and possibly the sweetest human being on the face of the world, but in the US it's seen as akin to having horns and fangs.

It isn't helped, mind you by people like Richard Dawkins, who while a very intelligent man, is a boorish misanthrope who seems to openly sneer at the idea of holding a belief in something else. Keeping with that, whenever we hear about 'an Athiest did X" on the news, it's invariably some self-important jack-ass protesting something simple.

Muslim is a close second though, remember the raving insanity that happened when there was a Muslim congressman elected?

Has a transsexual held any significant office in the US yet? We've had every other minority hold at least a US Senate or House seat.

R

rabbitgod

Definitely Transsexual. People have the hardest time wrapping their minds around it. All the bullshit you have to go through just to be a citizen, I can't even imagine what it's like to also run for office.

C

Chazwozel

No matter how progressive and open minded our society gets, I just can't ever see a Tranny ever being able to garner political support enough to pull off a presidency run.

I don't honestly see a transexual person nor a muslim winning anytime in the near future. I don't see them running either though so... you know.

Has a transsexual held any significant office in the US yet? We've had every other minority hold at least a US Senate or House seat.

I believe they just announced one last week, but they weren't sure if she really was the first... which is hilarious.

Oh, it's just something in the Dept. of Commerce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Simpson

But the muslim stuff is just the current hysteria, once it's over they'll have a better chance then a woman, as long as they're not too in your face about not being a christian.

Charlie, you forgot to put gingers on the poll. Does America really want to elect a president without a soul? No, I don't think so.

Unless something has changed drastically in the last 10 years, women are the majority. 1434/1381 women to men ratio in the US in 2000.

J

JONJONAUG

Homosexuals and atheists are the two groups of people least likely to be elected president according to polls (although the source is USA Today and I'm not sure how "accurate" these numbers are), but both had around 50% of the people polled saying they would not vote for a homosexual or an atheist (the two categories are not necessarily inclusive).

My first thought would be transsexual, just because I don't think a lot of people could get past it, and their own community is just too small to have that much sway.

yeah and jap is okay since it's just shorthand for japanese, chink, paki, ***, homo, these are all things you can say in polite company when you're a stupid asshole!!!

I went with Transexual. I do think that a female to male transexual would have a better shot than a male to female transexual, though. For some reason people are way less weirded out by lesbianism than by male homosexuality. Also, male to female transexuals mix both homophobia and sexism at the same time.

C

Chazwozel

yeah and jap is okay since it's just shorthand for japanese, chink, paki, ***, homo, these are all things you can say in polite company when you're a stupid asshole!!!
Describing a person as a 'tranny' is the same as calling an African American, 'black'. So just relax your pasty, overly PC self.

“We are obsessed with trying find areas where we get offended. And people who identify as being victims have a hard time accepting a new identity. They hold their ‘victim identity’ in place. And they continue to look for people or organizations where they can point their finger at and, in essence, confirm their victimhood. -- RuPaul

I'd tell you to go fuck yourself, but you already have a 10 inch metal rod shoved up your ass. I have NEVER heard the word tranny used in a derogatory way to describe a transexual other than as a descriptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.