What's your gender?

What your gender?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I think /you/ got "keel hauled" for sure but not Krisken.
Perhaps. What's delicious is that no one has called me out on the hypocrisy of that post.

But, you know, I was a hypocrite before it was cool.

Also, this blog post has relevance to the thread: http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2011/08/welcome-valued-associate-chris-jaeger/

That post broke my brain and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it and accept it for what it is. The perspective I've built through my life is inadequate to deal with this - and I'm making adjustments as a result.

But I hope everyone understands I do not mean any offense. I do change over time.

I think that's only because English is your primary language.
Hmm. That could be the case. The whole kindergarten "friend" thing a bit ago threw me as well - pronouns are simply baked-in the american-english language. I would feel very awkward saying, "Shego is awesome because friend likes almost every edged weapon." Throwing away the pronoun and using friend, in my mind, implies a third person, not the subject of the sentence.
It is interesting to me how our neural pathways are defined by what we learn. In America we often teach children the names of things first. I've heard that children in China are often first taught the relationships they have to others first. Some feel Americans have an unnatural disposition to amassing things, while others feel Chinese have an unnatural loyalty to their family.
Added at: 09:37
They cannot.
I am perhaps more optimistic than you. I suspect that the people I've argued with most vociferously would be great fun to meet in person.
On the other hand, I can't hold a grudge - I can barely remember what a past argument was about, nevermind who it was with. So, to some degree, I can't comprehend that someone may remember the first time I said something that truly offended them and can remember me and the issue because of it.

B

Biannoshufu

Hmm. That could be the case. The whole kindergarten "friend" thing a bit ago threw me as well - pronouns are simply baked-in the american-english language. I would feel very awkward saying, "Shego is awesome because friend likes almost every edged weapon." Throwing away the pronoun and using friend, in my mind, implies a third person, not the subject of the sentence.

It is interesting to me how our neural pathways are defined by what we learn. In America we often teach children the names of things first. I've heard that children in China are often first taught the relationships they have to others first. Some feel Americans have an unnatural disposition to amassing things, while others feel Chinese have an unnatural loyalty to their family.

Perhaps I should have phrased it better? I've personally known people who gave up what they wanted - and perhaps needed - and the behest of their family. It ranges from the simple - telling them to break off their engagement, to the sad - telling them they aren't allowed to be gay, to the horrifying - telling them they can't receive cancer treatment.

The thing is, these are adults, and should determine their own course of action, but they subjugate their will to their family.

This, of course, isn't meant to characterize them entirely, just as the american statement doesn't fit every american. Generalizations are always fraught with peril.

One's loyalty to their family is not a bad thing - but just like consumerism when taken to an extreme it can be harmful.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just stating for the record, that I am a raging douchenozzle, and you're all going to have to learn to live with it.

B

Biannoshufu

I just wanted to focus on the current positive possibilities, not create a resistance movement.

I don't know why this has all become so complicated?

Are you a dude or identify as being a dude? Check the dude option.

Are you a chick or identify as being a chick? Check the chick option.

Do you feel like your gender identity is different? Make a post explaining. Don't pitch a small, well intended fit about it not being in a rather simple poll.

I don't know why this has all become so complicated?

Are you a dude or identify as being a dude? Check the dude option.

Are you a chick or identify as being a chick? Check the chick option.

Do you feel like your gender identity is different? Make a post explaining. Don't pitch a small, well intended fit about it not being in a rather simple poll.
Do you agree with LittleSin? Check the agree option.
Do you disagree with LittleSin? Check the disagree option.
Does the opportunity to BelittleSin give you a tremendous ego boost and soothe whatever neurological terrors keep you up at night? Go to the PVP thread instead.

Fade said:
My statement wasn't intended to devalue, it was more a comment on my personal experience with people I've met who self-identify as (genderqueer). They tend to be the same Che shirt wearing, homeopathic medicine crowd that eschews things they think are societal impositions by choice.
Nothing offensive about that!

B

Biannoshufu

Wow gas, I had no idea you went for stupid videos instead of your own opinions. Oh wait. I mean I get that being offensive is really the point of that video, and it tries really hard, in that "no cow is sacred so let's offend and laugh at everyone and if they can't take it as a joke then they need to get over themselves," way, but the video is just a rotten pile of onion soaked catshit bad writing. its no sin to be offensive, but witless and boorish?

fade

Staff member
Nothing offensive about that!
There shouldn't be. It's an observation. I can safely say that 100% of the people I have heard self identify as such are also the same people who freely admit of their own volition that they enjoy doing things that poke at what they feel to be societal impositions. This is an observation. This is what actually happened.

GasBandit

Staff member
Seven pages into this and you were expecting anything other than a video quite appropriate for the messy hash of a joke the entire discussion turned into by page 2? You're just all silicocervical because it's your particular sacred cow. If ever there was the perfect, most apropos place to embed that video, it was THIS THREAD.

B

Biannoshufu

Seven pages into this and you were expecting anything other than a video quite appropriate for the messy hash of a joke the entire discussion turned into by page 2? You're just all silicocervical because it's your particular sacred cow. If ever there was the perfect, most apropos place to embed that video, it was THIS THREAD.
The writing sucked.

B

Biannoshufu

There shouldn't be. It's an observation. I can safely say that 100% of the people I have heard self identify as such are also the same people who freely admit of their own volition that they enjoy doing things that poke at what they feel to be societal impositions. This is an observation. This is what actually happened.
Ok. That still doesn't mean you don't look like an idiot based on your remarks in this thread, professor.

As an observation, people who try and reason their way out of saying things like that are douchebags 100% of the time.

GasBandit

Staff member
The writing sucked.
Ok. That's not an unreasonable position. Harry Partridge ain't Shakespeare. But let's not pretend that a) you are a connoisseur of only the most erudite of literate works, and that b) the reason you don't like the video is it was specifically designed to piss you, exactly you, you in particular, piss you off.

fade

Staff member
As an observation, people who try and reason their way out of saying things like that are douchebags 100% of the time.
That's not an observation, that's an opinion.

Maybe you missed the post about two pages back where I said I regretted what I said. The rest was just explanation. You can explain something without condoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.