What's your 2016 New Year's Resolution(s)?

Learn to program. Specifically, program in Python and Unix so that I can do more biology computin'.

Find a job at a company that focuses on Alzheimer's/dementia-related research and start doing my best to punch these illnesses in their smug prick faces.

Get back to my old personal best, fitness wise, and bench 250.

Camp for twenty one nights.
Start a fire with a bow drill.
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Learn to make yeast bread.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Clean out and organize the basement.
Catch a fish and cook it.
Make a drum.
One night of camping down. 20 more to go.

Update: fire piston v1: unsuccessful working on v2

New picture and up to 8 geocaches now.
2016-05-02 20.15.13.jpg

Looking for feedback on this one re: sky/fog

Simply the same as the last years: trying to be more reasonable and go to bed earlier, cutting some computer time shorter.
5 hours/night (except weekends) most times can't be good for the next 15 years...

Camp for twenty one nights.
Start a fire with a bow drill.
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Learn to make yeast bread.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Clean out and organize the basement.
Catch a fish and cook it.
Make a drum.

Well lets see;

Camped for 14 nights.
Never got around to even attempting to light a fire with a bow drill.
Ended up drawing a lot more than 6 pictures, it's morphed into a family thing now where all four of us working on some art once a week.
Well I certainly looked for more than twenty geocaches, but only ended up finding 17, some were awesome, even found some trackables.
I'm pretty good at pizza dough and pretzels now.
Well I spent some time on this and made a few versions, but never got a spark. Though I never ended up trying with char cloth.
Sadly never even got out on the water once. Spent some time looking into canoes and stoking the rumour mill that I was looking to buy one.
Minor steps in cleaning the basement, kinda got switched to cleaning the garage.
Sadly never even got out fishing.
Never even attempted it.

Dave

Staff member
And 4K or 1920x1200 has been done to DEATH, so stop it. Just...stop it.

Mine:
  • Write at least 50K words on my novel that has languished for years.
  • Grow my business. It got a lot bigger in 2015, but I still can't do it for a living. Not sure I'll ever be able to.
  • Lose some of this damned weight. I have a plan for it but I'll have to give that anonymously.
  • Not have a heart attack and die. Part of this is because of #3 and part of it is because a buddy of mine (2 years younger) just had heart surgery. We eat lunch together a lot so I know I eat just as badly as him.
  • Be more proactive at work. I've found myself skating by and that's going to stop.
So there's mine. What's yours?
  1. Fail.
  2. Push. Did okay, but nothing special.
  3. Fuck yeah! 182.4 as of this morning. That's more than 1/2 way to goal.
  4. Yay!
  5. 50/50 on this one. I've kind of had to keep my head down more than I'd like to.
So I guess I did okay.

1) Re-write my YA novel from scratch with the hope I'll be more satisfied with Version 2.0.
2) Finish Dill's 3rd adventure.
3) Exercise more, tracking my progress with the step counter on my phone (which can also calculate other exercises like yoga). If I want to get to my goal of around 190 lbs, it suggests taking at least 8,100 steps a day.
4) Go skating more! I really enjoyed last night, it's free, and it was good exercise. Could be good for first dates, too!
5) Read/listen to at least 50 books this year. I hit 46 by the end of last year, so this feels like a doable goal.
5) Get a goddamn job!
6) Ideally: move out of my parents' place, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
YOU'RE OLD.
:stfu:

But I was sincerely asking.

I'd assume that was your current weight except that it seems like a good weight to be, not a halfway point.
Ah. I thought you were being a smart-ass. My starting weight was about 208 and my goal weight is 160-165. Because of the way my work structures their health insurance, I'm trying to lower several key measures including triglycerides and BMI. I know BMI is complete horse shit when it comes to health, but it's a metric they use so I have to as well.

I should've just given you that brofist right away.

As for being a smart-ass jerk, let me try it now: I am heavier than I've ever been right now, and you're still 5 pounds over that :p