Export thread

What's your 2016 New Year's Resolution(s)?

Dave

Dave

And 4K or 1920x1200 has been done to DEATH, so stop it. Just...stop it.

Mine:
  • Write at least 50K words on my novel that has languished for years.
  • Grow my business. It got a lot bigger in 2015, but I still can't do it for a living. Not sure I'll ever be able to.
  • Lose some of this damned weight. I have a plan for it but I'll have to give that anonymously.
  • Not have a heart attack and die. Part of this is because of #3 and part of it is because a buddy of mine (2 years younger) just had heart surgery. We eat lunch together a lot so I know I eat just as badly as him.
  • Be more proactive at work. I've found myself skating by and that's going to stop.
So there's mine. What's yours?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

My resolution has actually been in effect for a couple weeks now. Nothing but hugs.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Play the ukulele more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, resolutions are for stuff you're not currently doing, so my list is kind of limited to stupid shit since I've actually been pretty proactive this year.

- Eat better. I eat good, but I can do better.
- Stop wasting money on video games I don't like. Better to rent and wait to buy just the stuff I'm really looking forward to than to buy into hype and get suckered out of $40 to $60. I know that sounds like a small thing, but it's happened too much and I'm tired of it.
- No more pets for now. No matter how cute they look in the pet store, no matter if they're therapeutic. The shit we're going through right now with one of our rats being terminal--I just need a break from it.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

- Work on my career. I know what I want to do with my life and I need to stop putting it off.
- Paint more. I did a large watercolor painting for my father-in-law for Christmas and loved every second. It's my craft, I should do it more often.
- Finish polishing my book. I've really started to put the time into it and I would like to have it edited and ready to send query letters out by next fall.
- Run. I love running, but living in a place that gets so cold, it's hard to keep up with it. I need to get over it and go to the gym because I really do love it.
- Let go. I got my heart ripped out last year, and it gets continually trampled on by this person. I need to let it go. I'm stronger than them and I will move on.
- Cosplay. I want to push myself, learning new skills and solving new problems with each costume. 2016 will be bigger and better for my cosplay.
- More photo shoots. I really have fun doing them, even silly ones. They bring me closer to my friends and so, more pic's!!
- Healthy recipes. I actually really enjoy healthy food, my problem comes from not knowing what to do with it. Hopefully I can change that.
- Love more. I have a strict tier of how I dole out my love. It's not fair and causes me stress, I need to stop that. Love all equally.
- Be more kind. I do my best, but I know I can do better. I want to be there for my family and friends, no matter what.
- Stick around. I've thought about quitting Halforums multiple times this past year, but you guys always surprise me and come through for me, so I'm going to stick around. :heart:

PatrThom

PatrThom

-Lose another 10-20lbs. I'm down about 15 from last Feb, if I keep that up then I'll be right about where I want to be. Alternatively, don't lose any weight, just trade fat for muscle.
-Become more of a morning person (i.e., go to bed earlier, get up earlier) out of necessity. Can't just sleep in to compensate if our son has to be ready to go to school by 7:30.
-Get.
Rid.
Of.
My.
Extra.
HOUSE.

--Patrick

phil

phil

Do some real research into opening my own coffee truck

Just fucking spin the wheel on available majors for ASU and pick one. None of it excites me so fuck it might as well do whatever.

Gared

Gared

I did pretty good last year. I changed my diet significantly, got my diabetes under control, saw a doctor for my anxiety, and quit smoking. This year I'm resolving to:

• Exercise more consistently, at least 3 times a week, for the year.
  • Science up my winemaking - keep better logs, be more exact with my measurements and ingredients, etc.
  • Buy some hand tools for woodworking and get back into it as a serious hobby.
  • Find a new job.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Find a new job.
THERE it is.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know if it will be here or across the country, but I really can't be living at my mom's when 2017 rolls around.

evilmike

evilmike

0.1 arc second?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've only ever made or seen that joke here, on these forums, about 5 times in all. You guys have very different definitions (mine's HD) of "done to death". Also, jeeze, what's with the aggressive reaction to a repeated joke? There's plenty of lamer, older, worse jokes that get made here all the time and don't get a reaction. Seriously, man.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Find better outlets for my stress.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, a bit of a catch-all, perhaps, but that sounds like a good one. I'm stealing it. Well, making a copy, anyway.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Yeah it is pretty general. I need to work on it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

0.1 arc second?
250pV?

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

For about the 10th year in a row, I resolve to not have any new year's resolutions.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I successfully took a picture for every day last year! I'm doing it again this year. If you're my friend on facebook, you can see them there. :)

Dave

Dave

I have 13K written on my novel already, about half of which I may use. I didn't use beats before and this weekend I wrote my beats for the entire novel. I think the beats are going to help me a lot. It's basically outlining for people who don't like outlining.

I also haven't died from a heart attack yet, so I got that going for me.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This is one of the tops for me. I probably need to go talk to someone about my anger issues. I am angry, a lot.

-Need to eat less (portion control) and want to cut processed foods out. Essentially, if it's a plant, eat it. If it comes from a plant, don't eat it.
-I am in desperate need to work out in some way or another. I am supposed to be ~175. I am 225. I have never been this big and it's getting worse.
-Laziness and procrastination are the root or are symptoms of the root cause of a bunch of my problems.
-I need to be nicer to my wife. It's been really crazy with having two under two around, and I need to cut her some slack and be sweet to her. I treat her like a roommate most of the time.
-I am behind at work. I am on top of things that I am good at (bench work science), but I am utter shit at writing grants and manuscripts and I am super slow at it. I have been working on a manuscript for nearly half a year. It's got to stop.
-I need to be nicer to my coworkers. I am often times glued to my screen with earbuds in and ignoring all around me. It's not cool.

-I also need to stop knocking myself down. I do it all the time. It's an "all about me" thing.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I resolve to gain 10 pounds. Then I should actually drop about 50. Isn't that the way these things work?

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Last for another year.
Write my the story of my life, the title of which will be "Probably the most boring Autobiography ever written."

Emrys

Emrys

Last for another year.
Write my the story of my life, the title of which will be "Probably the most boring Autobiography ever written."
I'd buy a copy.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Camp for twenty one nights.
Start a fire with a bow drill.
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Learn to make yeast bread.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Clean out and organize the basement.
Catch a fish and cook it.
Make a drum.

fade

fade

Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Make a drum.
You know what? I really like these. They're specific, to the point, and actually doable.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Last for another year.
Ditto. My resolution is the same as it's been every year. To see New Years Day next year.

So far I have a 100% success rate on my new years resolutions!

Covar

Covar

Loose 30 lbs before I'm 30 (beginning of Dec).

Have a fully painted 40k army of at least 1850 points.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

You know what? I really like these. They're specific, to the point, and actually doable.
You haven't seen our basement!![DOUBLEPOST=1451966531,1451966485][/DOUBLEPOST]
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Make a drum.
Can one of those be the one at Miller Lake Falls? I would love for you to see them!

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Get to 2017.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

...Get to 2017.
That's a lot of sit-ups

Gared

Gared

It occurs to me that I've been in a food rut for the past several years, despite the fact that I own a ridiculous amount of cookbooks and have access to my dad's dropbox folder full of recipes of all kinds, so I'm going to add to my list.

Cook one new recipe from one of my cookbooks each week.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Rise pizza dough! Rise! I command thee!!!!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

1 geocache found, 19 to go!

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I have a few. None are really easy to measure, but here goes:

Take better care of myself. Skin, hair, sleep more if I can etc This may sound silly but when I feel shitty, taking time to do stuff like that helps. Also, I'm leading our office now and I want to look more put together.

Take less shit at work. When my previous direct boss was there, he wasn't firm with people and it meant as a management team that we had to deal with a lot of shit. He is wonderful and was a fantastic boss to me. Sadly, many took advantage of him. It's not happening with me. I won't be mean for fun, but no walking over me. My new senior boss in Ottawa has simmered down significantly to me since our chat but is still rough with others. She chewed someone out for the their body language today!!

I want to produce more, higher quality photography. Where I would take 200 pictures before and luck into a few good ones, I want to have a plan in my head and compose 20 good ones and maybe get one excellent one.

I am going to be a better advocate for my health. I will get into a pain clinic in the next few months or raise hell until I do. I can't control my arthritis or how its getting worse, but I can control how I deal with my medical team and I'm done being nice.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Learn to program. Specifically, program in Python and Unix so that I can do more biology computin'.

Find a job at a company that focuses on Alzheimer's/dementia-related research and start doing my best to punch these illnesses in their smug prick faces.

Get back to my old personal best, fitness wise, and bench 250.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Make a drum.
One night of camping down. 20 more to go.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

20160423_143003.jpg

I call it Blackwater.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do the catfish jump there?

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

--Patrick
I drew it as an experiment in shading so I haven't flushed out anything like that, just chose a dark shade to represent water on the map.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I drew it as an experiment in shading so I haven't flushed out anything like that, just chose a dark shade to represent water on the map.
I was actually just making a song reference, but to be honest your map reminds me of a giant cell, or maybe a torso half-submerged in water.

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

--Patrick
I'm wondering if I should roll up a Fighter or a Wizard.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Update: fire piston v1: unsuccessful working on v2

New picture and up to 8 geocaches now.
2016-05-02 20.15.13.jpg

Looking for feedback on this one re: sky/fog

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know if it will be here or across the country, but I really can't be living at my mom's when 2017 rolls around.
Well, shit.

Just Me

Just Me

Simply the same as the last years: trying to be more reasonable and go to bed earlier, cutting some computer time shorter.
5 hours/night (except weekends) most times can't be good for the next 15 years...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

2560x1440 SCREW YOU @Dave YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Make a drum.

Well lets see;

Camped for 14 nights.
Never got around to even attempting to light a fire with a bow drill.
Ended up drawing a lot more than 6 pictures, it's morphed into a family thing now where all four of us working on some art once a week.
Well I certainly looked for more than twenty geocaches, but only ended up finding 17, some were awesome, even found some trackables.
I'm pretty good at pizza dough and pretzels now.
Well I spent some time on this and made a few versions, but never got a spark. Though I never ended up trying with char cloth.
Sadly never even got out on the water once. Spent some time looking into canoes and stoking the rumour mill that I was looking to buy one.
Minor steps in cleaning the basement, kinda got switched to cleaning the garage.
Sadly never even got out fishing.
Never even attempted it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, shit.
Yeah. My weight didn't change much, likely due to stress. Also I've only received one offer on my house in that time, and it was laughable.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Mine:
  • Write at least 50K words on my novel that has languished for years.
  • Grow my business. It got a lot bigger in 2015, but I still can't do it for a living. Not sure I'll ever be able to.
  • Lose some of this damned weight. I have a plan for it but I'll have to give that anonymously.
  • Not have a heart attack and die. Part of this is because of #3 and part of it is because a buddy of mine (2 years younger) just had heart surgery. We eat lunch together a lot so I know I eat just as badly as him.
  • Be more proactive at work. I've found myself skating by and that's going to stop.
So there's mine. What's yours?
  1. Fail.
  2. Push. Did okay, but nothing special.
  3. Fuck yeah! 182.4 as of this morning. That's more than 1/2 way to goal.
  4. Yay!
  5. 50/50 on this one. I've kind of had to keep my head down more than I'd like to.
So I guess I did okay.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Get a life.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Get a life.

....and leave us? What, ungrateful much? ;)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Fuck yeah! 182.4 as of this morning. That's more than 1/2 way to goal.
Is that how much you now weigh, or how much you've lost?

Dave

Dave

Jerk.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

1) Re-write my YA novel from scratch with the hope I'll be more satisfied with Version 2.0.
2) Finish Dill's 3rd adventure.
3) Exercise more, tracking my progress with the step counter on my phone (which can also calculate other exercises like yoga). If I want to get to my goal of around 190 lbs, it suggests taking at least 8,100 steps a day.
4) Go skating more! I really enjoyed last night, it's free, and it was good exercise. Could be good for first dates, too!
5) Read/listen to at least 50 books this year. I hit 46 by the end of last year, so this feels like a doable goal.
5) Get a goddamn job!
6) Ideally: move out of my parents' place, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Dave

Dave

That's for age/humor posts.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's for age/humor posts.
YOU'RE OLD.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But I was sincerely asking.

I'd assume that was your current weight except that it seems like a good weight to be, not a halfway point.

Dave

Dave

YOU'RE OLD.
:stfu:

But I was sincerely asking.

I'd assume that was your current weight except that it seems like a good weight to be, not a halfway point.
Ah. I thought you were being a smart-ass. My starting weight was about 208 and my goal weight is 160-165. Because of the way my work structures their health insurance, I'm trying to lower several key measures including triglycerides and BMI. I know BMI is complete horse shit when it comes to health, but it's a metric they use so I have to as well.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I should've just given you that brofist right away.

As for being a smart-ass jerk, let me try it now: I am heavier than I've ever been right now, and you're still 5 pounds over that :p

Bubble181

Bubble181

I should've just given you that brofist right away.

As for being a smart-ass jerk, let me try it now: I am heavier than I've ever been right now, and you're still 5 pounds over that :p
You're also 3 feet tall. You're fat, dwarf.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

You're also 3 feet tall. You're fat, dwarf.
TIL a Belgian foot is twice the size of an American foot (and 3 times bigger than Trump's foot)

Bubble181

Bubble181

TIL a Belgian foot is twice the size of an American foot
And you know what they say about people with big feet!

Wahad

Wahad

They're clowns?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

And you know what they say about people with big feet!
Yes. That's why I made the Trump reference.

Although he's also a clown, which I guess counters @Wahad's guess.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I am heavier than I've ever been right now, and you're still 5 pounds over that :p
I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life right now, which happens to be exactly the same as @Dave.

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life right now, which happens to be exactly the same as @Dave.

--Patrick
Right down to the 4/10 of a pound? Crazy coincidence!

Bubble181

Bubble181

And here I was hoping someone would just point me to a shoestore for plus sizes :(

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

--Patrick
I'm the oldest I've been in my life right now, but @Dave still has me beat.

Dave

Dave

I'm the oldest I've been in my life right now, but @Dave still has me beat.
:stfu:

General Specific

General Specific

For about the 10th year in a row, I resolve to not have any new year's resolutions.
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V

Oh and @Dave is old. What? Everyone's doing it, I just wanted to be cool.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ditto. My resolution is the same as it's been every year. To see New Years Day next year.

So far I have a 100% success rate on my new years resolutions!
Woo hoo, I made it!

Also, Dave's so old his first New Years resolution was to develop opposable thumbs.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also, Dave's so old his first New Years resolution was to develop opposable thumbs.
Must've been hard, considering he first had to develop multicellular structures.

Emrys

Emrys

Daddy's not gonna be happy with y'all when he gets home.

:hide:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Daddy's not gonna be happy with y'all when he gets home.

:hide:
He never uses :admin:, it's all just :stfu: anyway. Pfah!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

:ban:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Like he'd ever do something like tha

[BANNED]

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

:eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1483653330,1483653298][/DOUBLEPOST]:(

Hylian

Hylian

Not much of resolutions but here they are anyways

Lose weight
Go to the gym at least 4 times a week
Tell my homophobic, transphobic, conservative, super religious parents that I am trans (they will love that I am sure, lol)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Not much of resolutions but here they are anyways

Lose weight
Go to the gym at least 4 times a week
Tell my homophobic, transphobic, conservative, super religious parents that I am trans (they will love that I am sure, lol)
so, like, uh, how many of those 2016 resolutions did you keep? :D

Hylian

Hylian

so, like, uh, how many of those 2016 resolutions did you keep? :D
Gah, I didn't realise the year on the post lol

Now I feel really stupid, lol

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Gah, I didn't realise the year on the post lol

Now I feel really stupid, lol
What? No don't feel stupid! This has indeed turned into a 2017 resolution thread.

I was just making a silly joke about the fact we never bothered making a new thread.

blotsfan

blotsfan

My b

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why I've only had a couple of sodas in nearly a month...
...only two, huh?

Coca-Cola Introduces New 30-Liter Size
304.jpg

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

The Diet Coke there is mine. I'll fight for it!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wondered when you'd notice. :)

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I have a son-pretzel attached to me. He's super cute and much warmer than me but it's hard to do much other thank Pokémon while he's attached. :)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Diet Coke there is mine. I'll fight for it!
Don't be wasteful. No one in our house will be able to lift a 30 liter jug of DC.

mikerc

mikerc

Don't be wasteful. No one in our house will be able to lift a 30 liter jug of DC.
You don't need to lift it. Just roll it into position then have @Squidleybits sit beside it with a straw. A fancy curly one for preference.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Yes!

Null

Null

2017 resolutions:

finish writing a 50,000 word piece

finding a better job to replace one of my current ones

being less of a pathetic creeper

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

If I can't return to work this year, I would like to at least have a plan. I am going to get aggressive with the various specialist's offices and get appointment dates. Even if they are six months or whatever away, I need to be more than a slip of paper in a binder they might look through monthly. I am going to have the two MRIs I need asap. I will pay out of pocket to have them done privately if needed. No more Ms. Nice.

I also want to organize all my art supplies and set up a work space downstairs where there is no tv or other distractions. I want to get in a lot more drawing practice while I'm home.

Bubble181

Bubble181

other distractions
You plan to try and keep the cats out of their New Favorite Place? :p

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I'm fighting over my bagel with Pud as I type this. There is no cat free space here lol.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'm fighting over my bagel with Pud as I type this. There is no cat free space here lol.
My Guest bedroom I try to keep as a "Fur Free Zone." But now my house is settling, and the door won't stay shut. My cat can't stay out of there. "New room to explore and fancy pillows to sleep on!" I have my dog so conditioned not to go into two rooms, that he won't go in there.

Dave

Dave

Note to self: Put the smilie limiter back in.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Note to self: Put the smilie limiter back in.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

--Patrick

phil

phil

I think I just want to be more active. I've started dating a girl and we've been reserving Mondays for hikes (weather and health permitting) and I'm hoping to expand on that as the weather gets more stable. I'd like to maybe do at least one overnight hike this year.

Now that I'm in a stable housing situation, it's time to start planning on my next move. I need to either start looking for a new, better paying job or see what kind of side hussle I can get going.

I want to watch less television and either dedicate that down time to games or reading.

I also need to figure out my finances. I get stocks from work, and a long time ago my folks bought us Texas Instruments stock that I've never dobe anything with and have no idea how to access. I have maybe 3k between the two and I'd like to try to do something a little more with it.

Dave

Dave

Get rid of TV. You won't miss it. Were it not for sports I'd never watch the thing.

fade

fade

I dumped cable 4 years ago. Haven't missed it at all. I thought I would, but nope. Only time I really watch is when falling asleep, and it's usually some silly anime.

phil

phil

I guess to be more specific by tv I mean watching Netflix and youtube and stuff all the time. (He said while watching twitch )

PatrThom

PatrThom

I want to watch less television and either dedicate that down time to games or reading.
Get rid of TV. You won't miss it. Were it not for sports I'd never watch the thing.
I dumped cable 4 years ago. Haven't missed it at all.
Yesss...give in to the Internet. Soon you also will be the one who says, "...I've never seen that."

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Yesss...give in to the Internet. Soon you also will be the one who says, "...I've never seen that."

--Patrick
Uh...yeah you can. You can see everything on the internet you can see on TV, only you see it when YOU want to, not when THEY do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And when they start making stuff I want to watch more than video games or reading, that convenience will really pay off.

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This is one of the tops for me. I probably need to go talk to someone about my anger issues. I am angry, a lot.

-Need to eat less (portion control) and want to cut processed foods out. Essentially, if it's a plant, eat it. If it comes from a plant, don't eat it.
-I am in desperate need to work out in some way or another. I am supposed to be ~175. I am 225. I have never been this big and it's getting worse.
-Laziness and procrastination are the root or are symptoms of the root cause of a bunch of my problems.
-I need to be nicer to my wife. It's been really crazy with having two under two around, and I need to cut her some slack and be sweet to her. I treat her like a roommate most of the time.
-I am behind at work. I am on top of things that I am good at (bench work science), but I am utter shit at writing grants and manuscripts and I am super slow at it. I have been working on a manuscript for nearly half a year. It's got to stop.
-I need to be nicer to my coworkers. I am often times glued to my screen with earbuds in and ignoring all around me. It's not cool.

-I also need to stop knocking myself down. I do it all the time. It's an "all about me" thing.
I forgot that I posted this last year.

These all still apply for 2017. I only made progress in 2016 with work and my wife. My laziness is a bit better in certain areas.