What's your 2016 New Year's Resolution(s)?

Dave

Staff member
And 4K or 1920x1200 has been done to DEATH, so stop it. Just...stop it.

Mine:
  • Write at least 50K words on my novel that has languished for years.
  • Grow my business. It got a lot bigger in 2015, but I still can't do it for a living. Not sure I'll ever be able to.
  • Lose some of this damned weight. I have a plan for it but I'll have to give that anonymously.
  • Not have a heart attack and die. Part of this is because of #3 and part of it is because a buddy of mine (2 years younger) just had heart surgery. We eat lunch together a lot so I know I eat just as badly as him.
  • Be more proactive at work. I've found myself skating by and that's going to stop.
So there's mine. What's yours?

Well, resolutions are for stuff you're not currently doing, so my list is kind of limited to stupid shit since I've actually been pretty proactive this year.

- Eat better. I eat good, but I can do better.
- Stop wasting money on video games I don't like. Better to rent and wait to buy just the stuff I'm really looking forward to than to buy into hype and get suckered out of $40 to $60. I know that sounds like a small thing, but it's happened too much and I'm tired of it.
- No more pets for now. No matter how cute they look in the pet store, no matter if they're therapeutic. The shit we're going through right now with one of our rats being terminal--I just need a break from it.

- Work on my career. I know what I want to do with my life and I need to stop putting it off.
- Paint more. I did a large watercolor painting for my father-in-law for Christmas and loved every second. It's my craft, I should do it more often.
- Finish polishing my book. I've really started to put the time into it and I would like to have it edited and ready to send query letters out by next fall.
- Run. I love running, but living in a place that gets so cold, it's hard to keep up with it. I need to get over it and go to the gym because I really do love it.
- Let go. I got my heart ripped out last year, and it gets continually trampled on by this person. I need to let it go. I'm stronger than them and I will move on.
- Cosplay. I want to push myself, learning new skills and solving new problems with each costume. 2016 will be bigger and better for my cosplay.
- More photo shoots. I really have fun doing them, even silly ones. They bring me closer to my friends and so, more pic's!!
- Healthy recipes. I actually really enjoy healthy food, my problem comes from not knowing what to do with it. Hopefully I can change that.
- Love more. I have a strict tier of how I dole out my love. It's not fair and causes me stress, I need to stop that. Love all equally.
- Be more kind. I do my best, but I know I can do better. I want to be there for my family and friends, no matter what.
- Stick around. I've thought about quitting Halforums multiple times this past year, but you guys always surprise me and come through for me, so I'm going to stick around. :heart:

-Lose another 10-20lbs. I'm down about 15 from last Feb, if I keep that up then I'll be right about where I want to be. Alternatively, don't lose any weight, just trade fat for muscle.
-Become more of a morning person (i.e., go to bed earlier, get up earlier) out of necessity. Can't just sleep in to compensate if our son has to be ready to go to school by 7:30.
-Get.
Rid.
Of.
My.
Extra.
HOUSE.

--Patrick

Do some real research into opening my own coffee truck

Just fucking spin the wheel on available majors for ASU and pick one. None of it excites me so fuck it might as well do whatever.

Last edited:
I did pretty good last year. I changed my diet significantly, got my diabetes under control, saw a doctor for my anxiety, and quit smoking. This year I'm resolving to:

• Exercise more consistently, at least 3 times a week, for the year.
  • Science up my winemaking - keep better logs, be more exact with my measurements and ingredients, etc.
  • Buy some hand tools for woodworking and get back into it as a serious hobby.
  • Find a new job.

I don't know if it will be here or across the country, but I really can't be living at my mom's when 2017 rolls around.

And 4K or 1920x1200 has been done to DEATH, so stop it. Just...stop it.
I've only ever made or seen that joke here, on these forums, about 5 times in all. You guys have very different definitions (mine's HD) of "done to death". Also, jeeze, what's with the aggressive reaction to a repeated joke? There's plenty of lamer, older, worse jokes that get made here all the time and don't get a reaction. Seriously, man.

Dave

Staff member
I have 13K written on my novel already, about half of which I may use. I didn't use beats before and this weekend I wrote my beats for the entire novel. I think the beats are going to help me a lot. It's basically outlining for people who don't like outlining.

I also haven't died from a heart attack yet, so I got that going for me.

Find better outlets for my stress.
This is one of the tops for me. I probably need to go talk to someone about my anger issues. I am angry, a lot.

-Need to eat less (portion control) and want to cut processed foods out. Essentially, if it's a plant, eat it. If it comes from a plant, don't eat it.
-I am in desperate need to work out in some way or another. I am supposed to be ~175. I am 225. I have never been this big and it's getting worse.
-Laziness and procrastination are the root or are symptoms of the root cause of a bunch of my problems.
-I need to be nicer to my wife. It's been really crazy with having two under two around, and I need to cut her some slack and be sweet to her. I treat her like a roommate most of the time.
-I am behind at work. I am on top of things that I am good at (bench work science), but I am utter shit at writing grants and manuscripts and I am super slow at it. I have been working on a manuscript for nearly half a year. It's got to stop.
-I need to be nicer to my coworkers. I am often times glued to my screen with earbuds in and ignoring all around me. It's not cool.

-I also need to stop knocking myself down. I do it all the time. It's an "all about me" thing.

Camp for twenty one nights.
Start a fire with a bow drill.
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Learn to make yeast bread.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Clean out and organize the basement.
Catch a fish and cook it.
Make a drum.

fade

Staff member
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Make a drum.
You know what? I really like these. They're specific, to the point, and actually doable.

Loose 30 lbs before I'm 30 (beginning of Dec).

Have a fully painted 40k army of at least 1850 points.

You know what? I really like these. They're specific, to the point, and actually doable.
You haven't seen our basement!![DOUBLEPOST=1451966531,1451966485][/DOUBLEPOST]
Draw six pictures.
Find twenty geocaches.
Make a fire piston.
Go canoeing five times.
Make a drum.
Can one of those be the one at Miller Lake Falls? I would love for you to see them!

It occurs to me that I've been in a food rut for the past several years, despite the fact that I own a ridiculous amount of cookbooks and have access to my dad's dropbox folder full of recipes of all kinds, so I'm going to add to my list.

Cook one new recipe from one of my cookbooks each week.

I have a few. None are really easy to measure, but here goes:

Take better care of myself. Skin, hair, sleep more if I can etc This may sound silly but when I feel shitty, taking time to do stuff like that helps. Also, I'm leading our office now and I want to look more put together.

Take less shit at work. When my previous direct boss was there, he wasn't firm with people and it meant as a management team that we had to deal with a lot of shit. He is wonderful and was a fantastic boss to me. Sadly, many took advantage of him. It's not happening with me. I won't be mean for fun, but no walking over me. My new senior boss in Ottawa has simmered down significantly to me since our chat but is still rough with others. She chewed someone out for the their body language today!!

I want to produce more, higher quality photography. Where I would take 200 pictures before and luck into a few good ones, I want to have a plan in my head and compose 20 good ones and maybe get one excellent one.

I am going to be a better advocate for my health. I will get into a pain clinic in the next few months or raise hell until I do. I can't control my arthritis or how its getting worse, but I can control how I deal with my medical team and I'm done being nice.