Whats for Dinner?

20201112_212717.jpg

To honour Pennsylvania, it's Philly cheese steak sandwich.

Melted cheeze whiz, sauteed onions and bell peppers, steak, HP sauce on a hogie bun.

Had a party for my son tonight. He asked for cheese fondue.

fondue.jpg

Baguette pieces, salami, soppressata, cornichons, pretzel bites, apple bits, cauliflower, broccoli, and then Minecraft-style confetti cakes for dessert.

EDIT: No we did not dip the cakes in the cheese.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I go both ways. Surf AND turf.

1606355005367.png

Beef tenderloin (medium rare, of course), scallops pan fried in brown butter, potatoes boiled in chicken stock and then crisped up on the outside in the air fryer, and salad.

Work catered a Thanksgiving dinner for employees yesterday. They saved me a plate. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, veggies, and pie. Saving some of the turkey, veggies, and casserole for later. For now, my face is well and truly stuffed. :D

Just the 5 of us this year. Wife (left), Son (top), Father-in-law (far right), Cranky (lower right), and myself (lower left).

IMG_3647.jpg

-New Holland Brewing's third holiday ale x4 (9%)
-Coconut water with a dash of orange juice, carbonated (for my son, instead of ale)
-Butternut squash & fennel with Granny Smith apples and cranberries
-Jiffy corn casserole
-Turkey gravy
-Mashed potatoes with chives & sour cream
-Turkey and cornbread & sausage dressing
-Cranberry sauce/relish
-Butter
-Homemade (raised) crescent rolls
(Not pictured: Pumpkin+sweet potato pie for dessert)

Giving thanks to my wife, who consistently assembles stuff like this all within a monthly food budget of about US$130 per person (that's < $5/day).

--Patrick

Last edited:
Decided to try a new button on my Instant Pot last night. I've had this thing for years, but have only ever used the "saute", "slow cook" (which sucks) and "pressure cook" buttons. So--I made homemade yogurt yesterday and added some Truvia and peaches this morning after it finished setting in the fridge overnight. Turned out pretty good!
1608465430751.png

Can't eat like this every night....but Christmas is all about unexpected windfalls and splurging it on stupid shit to keep the economy going. ;)

For Christmas dinner:
1608748862279.png

edit: I hope that doesn't seem insensitive or gross. I understand it's an expense not everyone can make, and I don't wanna come across as privileged or shitty about it. :(