Whats for Dinner?

figmentPez

Staff member
I finally got around to trying Popeye's chicken sandwich tonight. It was okay.

My fast food chicken sandwich crown remains with Slim Chickens. (And Wendy's is actually my #2, still. Ahead of both Popeyes and Chick-Fil-A, which are roughly tied with Culver's. Feel free to completely dismiss my opinion now.)

I made chicken tika masala.
But I cheated. I cut up a couple chicken breasts, browned them, and then simmered them in stuff from a jar. But it was still tasty.

@HCGLNS whats himestyle gravy and how do you make it? That looks incredible.
Well about 6 months ago, I mistyped homestyle, and Halforums has mercilessly bullied me for it ever since.

But the gravy in question comes from me putting a beef roast in a roasting pan and searing the sides with a stick of butter. Then adding carrots, potatoes and onions, salt, pepper, paprika and oregano. Then into the oven for 90 minutes. Then I took the roast out of the oven, let it rest. Drained the liquid in the pan (filtered it with a sieve) then added half that again with water and tossed in a pouch of Club House Brown gravy mix.

The butter is what makes it great.

A slightly-blurry-because-I-was-impatient-picture of pork Chile Verde with rice, sour cream, pickled red onions and lime. Nice comfort food for body and soul in cold, dark times.

Covid left me a parting gift. I can't eat meat anymore. Meals are so much more satisfying and cheap now. All this time, meat was the problem - at least here on the West coast of the US where all of our beef is the cheapest Brazilian beef money can buy, chicken is shipped in from Georgia (state) and pork is from the worst swine-flu ridden disaster in China.

Dave

Staff member
Last night I made homemade beef stew from scratch. I thought it was excellent. My wife informed me she doesn't like beef stew. My son said, "It's okay." which is Zach for, "Man, I didn't like this at all but it's still better than making anything myself."

I made a bowl for lunch today. I found my wife feeding the rest to the dog.

It was good! WTF?

I'm the primary cook in the house. For a while, everyone decided they were a Food Network critic and gave me 'notes' on all of my dishes.

So I stopped cooking and we did pizzas, fast food, and hot dogs and hamburger helper for a month. When the fam finally asked me about it, I told them "oh, I thought you didn't like my cooking based on all of the improvements you continually suggested."

That put an end to that shit right quick.

Dave

Staff member
See that pisses me off to no end. You gave your time to make dinner. And time is the only resource we all run out of. Like it or not eat the fucking food that is put in front of you.
It doesn't piss me off because I'd never made it before. It was either going to be good or bad. I liked it, they didn't so I'm not going to make it again. I'd much rather them tell me than have me waste time and effort to make it again and they suffer through.

But the dog?!?

It doesn't piss me off because I'd never made it before. It was either going to be good or bad. I liked it, they didn't so I'm not going to make it again. I'd much rather them tell me than have me waste time and effort to make it again and they suffer through.

But the dog?!?
I'm sure at least HE appreciated it.
Post automatically merged:

Had to go pay rent today and decided to stop by the nearby Indian place.
Garlic Naan
Vegetable Samosa
Mulligatawny Soup
Hot Lamb Vindaloo