Whats for Dinner?

Cheez-it chicken. Pretty simple: Powder cheez-its in a food processor. Roll chicken tenderloins in sour cream and then the cheeze-its. Put in a greased baking dish, pour a whole stick of melted butter across the top, and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
(I usually make about 10 tenderloins, filling a 9x13 dish)

The sour cream kind of melts away, leaving the cheeze-it powder stuck to the chicken. It's pretty damn tasty, even if it is trash food.

^ I needs me some of that.

I made chicken tikka masala in the crockpot. It turned out really well but it took 3 hours to cook. I forgot my roommate got an instant pot for Christmas that would've made it a lot quicker. Regardless, I'm happy with it.

View attachment 32621
So I want to make this again but using the isntantpot. It says 45 minutes to do the recipe but no settings. Anyone that has used an instantpot or pressure cooker before (IIRC @Dave got one for secret Santa a few years ago) what is the right pressure level for doing something like that?

Dave

Staff member
Almost everything you make can be done on high for 20 minutes, but rice is a bit different if you are doing it separately. If just doing the chicken and stuff you can't go wrong with high at 20 minutes. Can't really overcook or burn stuff in the pressure cooker.

Rice will be in a separate rice cooker so no problem there. Is there anything special I need to do to release pressure so I don't blow up my kitchen? Or are the instructions pretty intuitive?

Dave

Staff member
Once it beeps and tells you it's done there are two ways to release steam. The first way is to let it slowly drain out on its own and wait for the plug thing to depress (during cooking it gets pushed up). The other way is just to vent it yourself, which causes a loud hissing noise but won't blow up. It WILL, however, cause a large geyser of steam that could burn you or damage anything above it that is susceptible to getting wet like a cupboard. I usually throw a towel over it when I do it this way.

Either way works, truthfully. One is WAY quicker as it can sit for a few minutes (10-15) if you let it vent naturally. Also note that foods that are mostly liquid like a THIN soup might try and exit during a quick release. I've never had it happen but I've heard it can. If you want to be better safe than sorry just wait for the pressure to vent normally.

foods that are mostly liquid like a THIN soup might try and exit during a quick release. I've never had it happen but I've heard it can.
The temperature at which water boils is directly related to the surrounding air pressure.
If you pop the cork and let the pot's internal pressure drop to ambient while the contents are still above whatever the boiling point is at your altitude, you run the same kind of risk as that of taking off your radiator cap too early (though on a smaller scale).
So if your pot has a thermometer built in, wait until you see the temp fall below boiling before you pop it.

--Patrick

I've made butter chicken in the pressure cooker. Chicken doesn't need that much time, truthfully. My butter chicken recipe calls for adding all the ingredients, putting the chicken on top, and pressure cooking on high for 10 minutes and then doing the "natural release" method Dave mentions above. That takes 15-20 minutes.

Be aware that, at least on my instant pot, after cooking it switches to "keep warm"...and it will never naturally release because it stays hot enough to keep the pressure from falling. I gotta hit the cancel button after cooking to let the pressure cooker cool and slowly release the pressure.

I pressure cook on the island in the middle of my kitchen, so I just let the steam vent out into the atmosphere. But you have to be careful of where the steam comes out. Some people flip the venting knob with a wooden spoon or something. I know my pressure cooker well enough to know where it's going to vent, and I just use my finger. But maybe don't do that your first time :D

Wait, 20 minutes? I hope that includes release time, which wouldn't be part of the timer, I cook most smaller meat (like chicken breast or pork chops) on an 8 minute timer.

figmentPez

Staff member
This was dinner last night:
2020-01-19 Buttermilk Biscuits and chili.jpg

Homemade buttermilk biscuits, topped with: chili & cheese, butter & strawberry jam, and Trader Joe's cinnamon bun spread.

81072833_10162664046800562_765538784769998848_o.jpg

Honey & Soy Glazed Salmon. Actually from a couple weeks ago, this was the first thing I made after buying my new cast iron griddle. Now after a few weeks of seasoning it should have a better non-stick surface and give me better control, so I'm going to do it again soon. Might beef up the side options.

Went out to a very nice place for Valentine's. Got a proscuitto-wrapped filet. I need to win the lottery so that can be my dinner literally every day.

I had all the ingredients to make a glorious sausage and chicken gumbo but then my gallbladder adventures started. So I turned most of the gumbo ingredients into the best chicken stock of my life and tonight I made an incredibly hearty chicken and vegetable soup out of it. Holy fuck, does simmering your own stock for 24+ hours make a difference. It's so God damn good. Salty meat flavoured water has never been better.