Whats for Dinner?

Anniversary dinner:
New York Strip steak, pan fried and finished in a hot oven (medium rare, if you must know), with a red wine demi-glace that I let simmer all day long; roasted brussels sprouts; and cream of mushroom soup (not from a can) that just didn't thicken up enough for me. All in all, a good meal.

Cajungal

Staff member

Red beans and rice. I wish I had a hambone... around here everyone uses their leftover Christmas ham for red beans around New Years, but since I'm not in charge of buying ham I don't get to keep the bone. All the places where I could get one are closed too. But it will still be delicious!

Making Irish stew with lamb. Received The Joy of Cooking for Christmas, and am taking some tips and tricks from the book for this recipe (though it'll be my own recipe).

Red beans and rice. I wish I had a hambone... around here everyone uses their leftover Christmas ham for red beans around New Years, but since I'm not in charge of buying ham I don't get to keep the bone. All the places where I could get one are closed too. But it will still be delicious!
Care to share your recipe? I have a leftover ham bone and a couple bags of dried red beans, and I'd like to make this my lunch for the next week or so.

Cajungal

Staff member
Sure!

-2 lb dried red beans, rinsed and soaked in cold water overnight
-ham bone
- 3/4 links smoked sausage
-1 very large onion or 2-3 small, minced
-2 bellpeppers, minced
- 3-4 stalks celery, minced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, the 3 peppers, thyme, and parsley
-2 large containers salt free chicken or vegetable stock

1. Slice and brown the sausage in a llarge heavy bottom pot, and set aside.

2. Saute vegetables in sausage fat. Add a little canola if needed. Add garlic last once vegetables are translucent. Add a little of your seasonings to the vegetables.

3. Add beans to pot. Stir until beans and vegetables are mixed together.

4. Cover beans and vegetables with stock. There should be a few inches of liquid above the beans. Add water if you need more. Put the hambone into the pot and bring the stock to a simmer.

5. Lower heat and cover partially. Let simmer on low for 2-4 hours (depends on how long the beans have soaked/your stove...) Stir every 20 minutes or so. If too much liquid is evaporating just add a cup here and there. Season to taste (not too much thyme--focus on the salt and peppers).

6. About halfway through the cooking process, add sausage.

7. When your liquid is thickened and the beans are tender, serve with rice. If you have fresh parsley, add at the end.

Enjoy!

figmentPez

Staff member
Not exactly dinner, but I baked cookies yesterday. I added the zest of 4 limes to a basic batch of toll house chocolate chip cookies, and it was amazing. Just a subtle tang of lime, and it really brings the cookies to life.