Whats for Dinner?

Yesterday: Pistachio-crusted catfish and curry stuck pot rice.
Today: Sauerbraten and spaetzle with glazed butternut squash.

Have I mentioned how much I am enjoying this marriage? And so far I'm only talking about the kitchen!

--Patrick

I started making ravioli, but lost my grip on the pot as I was draining it and ended up with most of them in the sink. So we had leftovers. Most unsatisfying.

Working on this eating much healthier with significantly reduced sugar thing again. Tonight's dinner was 4oz of flank steak, marinated in a mixture of miso, lime juice, rice vinegar, grated ginger, Maggi seasoning, and anise seed; broccoli roasted with black bean garlic sauce, salt, pepper, and a little butter; served over soba noodles. It was awesome, and quite filling. And to drink, lots of water.

Working on this eating much healthier with significantly reduced sugar thing again. Tonight's dinner was 4oz of flank steak, marinated in a mixture of miso, lime juice, rice vinegar, grated ginger, Maggi seasoning, and anise seed; broccoli roasted with black bean garlic sauce, salt, pepper, and a little butter; served over soba noodles. It was awesome, and quite filling. And to drink, lots of water.
The water thing just helps tons. Mind you, you don't need to completely stop with soda or whatever. Just get it down to once a day... then once every few days... then to once a week or even longer. Eventually you don't miss it, but can still enjoy it.

Thanksgiving dinner: roasted turkey breast, dinner rolls, dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce. Pumpkin pie for dessert.

Tonight, my older sister visiting (spending yesterday with her inlaws): chicken cor don bleu, baked potatoes, sauteed zucchini, butternut squash soup. Pecan pie for dessert.

The water thing just helps tons. Mind you, you don't need to completely stop with soda or whatever. Just get it down to once a day... then once every few days... then to once a week or even longer. Eventually you don't miss it, but can still enjoy it.
I'd already mostly given up soda, and get my caffeine from coffee, so I already really don't miss it, and the ADA says that I can have 4oz of fruit juice a day as long as it's 100% juice with no added sugar, so I've been mixing 40z of juice with club soda to kind of extend the pleasure of the juice, it's mead that I'm going to miss the most. I'll just have to save it for really special occasions.

Thanksgiving leftovers are all gone..so to cleanse the palate:

Tilapia filets, topped with a slice of pancetta and a scoop of crab claw meat (previously sauteed in sage butter) and a sprinkling of cheddar, placed under the broiler until the cheese started to brown.

No pics..it got eaten too fast :)

Chicken enchiladas, "Mexican" brown rice, and black beans. Delicious, if a little spicier than I intended (my wife isn't a huge fan of spicy foods). And now I have healthy lunches for several days, if not the rest of the week, as the left-over enchilada filling will make a nice chicken salad.

Had chicken and waffles for lunch. Why did no one tell me how delicious this combination was before? They were covered in a sriracha maple syrup gravy (which sounds revolting but might have been the most delicious substance I've ever tasted).

The BEST chicken I've ever made, perfect skin while the meat was still moist. For sides a delightful vegetable meddley, and baked potates with milk kefir topping which complimented it perfectly. A good meal.

figmentPez

Staff member
This was my dinner a few nights ago:

2014-12-11 Spam Roast Fennel on Flatbread with Roast Parsnips.jpg

Grilled Spam and roast fennel with steak sauce and creme fraiche on whole wheat flatbread, with a side of roast parsnips.