Whats for Dinner?

Ok - here's my test question:

sweet cornbread or un-sweet cornbread?
The slightly sweet, more cake-y kind, that has regular flour as well as corn meal. I've had savory corn bread, but I just love sweet corn bread too much. And sugar for sweetening only, no creamed corn for me thanks.

I took some friends for Indian for the first time ever. On the way there I talked about how excited I was to eat naan, because naan is the best bread on Earth. When we get there they drop off a big steaming basket of it. My friend looks at it and says, "What's the big deal, it just looks like pita bread."

I stop devouring the sumptuous steamy naan just long enough to stare him in the eye and say, "When's the last time you ever heard ANYONE say they can't wait to eat pita bread?" and then I continued to gorge myself.

About 2000 pounds of paneer, fish curry, kapoor, saffron rice and whatever else I could stuff into myself later, I was finally satisfied.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Homemade pizza:
2014-09-07 Pez's Pizza.jpg

Lately I've been baking bread every couple of weeks, but the recipe makes one really large loaf, or two smaller loaves, and that's too much bread for me to eat before it starts getting stale. So, I've been trying to figure out other things to do with the dough, and this is a pizza experiment. I think it worked out okay, especially since this time I tried using molasses instead of honey. Didn't quite work for pizza, but I'm curious to see how it works for the bread.

Zucchini casserole: 1 large zucchini, cut into small chunks; half a white onion, also chopped; 4 eggs; 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; 1 cup cheddar; 1/2 cup bread crumbs.

Cook the onion and zucchini in a large pan until soft. Beat 4 eggs. Shred cheeses. put vegetables in casserole dish, pour in eggs, spread cheese over, spread bread crumbs on top of cheese. add a couple pats of butter on top to help it brown and stay moist.

cook 30 minutes in 350 oven.

We had roast chicken last night. Hadn't done that in a while. It's amazing remembering how easy it is when you try NOT to "jazz it up" at all. That's what adds the effort. Just the bird? Salt, pepper the outside, throw a bit of water in the roasting pan, and shove it in the oven. 1.5 hours later, food.

figmentPez

Staff member
It looks amazingly tasty though.
I won't lie, I still ate half the pizza. I think it would have been better with the original honey wheat recipe dough. Actually, the bread is better in general with the honey. The molasses gives it a really heavy flavor. Not very good with just butter. Interesting with PB&J, but not better. I think it will work really well with the hamburger I'll have for dinner, though.

2014-09-08 Molasses Bread.jpg

Didn't end up going into lab today, so--on this chilly, fall-like day--I'm surprising her with beef and root veggie stew. (Parsnip, carrot and beets.)

BBQ meatballs. I made something like 40 cocktail-sized turkey meatballs for a school potluck tonight. I'm feeling like I need to go get some frozen ones to add to that. I'd like to make cornbread to go with it, but then I'm just getting crazy.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's going to be taco night. If I can convince myself to get up and start cooking. I may have to do some dishes before starting though, and that's what's keeping me seated at my computer.

Local pizza joint does an inferno pizza with hot sausage, hot pepperoni, pickled banana peppers, habenero pizza sauce and they douse it in some crazy brand of hot sauce. It's pretty delicious and I've really come to appreciate pickled banana peppers as a topping. That salty sour crunch in amongst the spiciness is pretty incredible.

Local pizza joint does an inferno pizza with hot sausage, hot pepperoni, pickled banana peppers, habenero pizza sauce and they douse it in some crazy brand of hot sauce. It's pretty delicious and I've really come to appreciate pickled banana peppers as a topping. That salty sour crunch in amongst the spiciness is pretty incredible.
That sounds really good.

Getting take-out from Fresh Tortillas Grill nearby. A friend recommended the Chicken Flautas, which I've never had before. We'll see.

Huh, flautas are fried and crispy here, and what's used to top them varies. Usually look a little like this:

View attachment 16117
They fry them here too, but they make them big at Tres Potrillos, so they have to roll them up like a burrito to keep it together. You can get them in ether beef (shredded with savory brown sauce), chicken (shredded with a cheese sauce), or chorizo (I forget) and they come with a side of lettuce, carrots, and I think beans.

That sounds fucking awesome.

And unhealthy. I feel a little winded just thinking about it. Thank god the only pizza place near me is a shitty hungry howies.

Just made individual-sized Australian-style meat pies for dinner. Ended up with thirteen of them, then Tiffany and I managed to eat 3.5 of them before we got full.

My labmate's from Australia, though, and has lamented the lack of meat pies in the states compared to Oz. I will be surprising him with lunch tomorrow.