Whats for Dinner?

Super delicious bean recipe. Take out the bacon and it's protein feast for a vegan.
Sweet and Sour Beans
8 slices of bacon, diced
2 large onions, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 or 2 tins of baked beans
1 tin lima beans, drained and rinsed
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tin yellow wax beans, drained and rinsed
1 tin garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed

Sauté bacon and onion. Add sugar, vinegar, garlic, mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add all beans and mix. Bake at 350 covered for at least one hour. The longer it bakes, the better it tastes. Also yummy reheated the next day but you may have to add some water.

no pics, but last night's pork tenderloin was freaking awesome.

1 pork tenderloin seasoned with salt and pepper--sear on all sides in skillet with olive oil.
Put in baking dish
Cover with a mixture of
(3/4 cup) honey, (2tbs) spicy brown mustard, (1tbs) soy sauce, 1 package mushroom gravy mix, (2tbs) water. (measurements are approximate, cause I just mixed that bad boy up to taste)
Cover with foil
bake at 375, turning every 10 minutes to baste until internal measurements read 150.

Every so slightly pink in the center, juicy and delicious with a sweet and tangy glaze. Freaking yum.

B

BErt

More grill fun: balsamic rosemary pork chops and peaches with honey garlic asparagus.

DSC_8061.JPG

I'm visiting Dearborn. 60% or so Arab-American. So shawarma is not not an option. So I went to Al-Ameer to get one. And it was good. :D

B

BErt

Oh wow. Recipe please!
I got the recipe for the meat and peaches here:
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/balsamic-marinated-pork-chops-grilled-peaches/

...only change I made was I didnt include the honey in the marinade for the meat. I thought it would come out too sweet. I did add a teaspoon to the leftover marinade used for the peaches.

Asparagus, you just coat about 10 stalks with a mixture of 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1 teaspoon honey, a little salt and pepper. Grill 5 minutes. Turn once, grill 5 more minutes.

The Nova burger from Tailpipes, a local restaurant. Described thusly: Carmelized Onions, Roasted Mushrooms, Bleu cheese and Cajun Remoulade on a White Bun.

Made some veggie chili last night. Was good, but more stew-ish than chili-ish.

Now a question: I left it out by accident overnight. Covered, but still. Most of a pot. I should throw it out shouldn't I? I have this feeling of "but it looks OK, and there's a lot of it" but... well... I shouldn't trust it should I?

figmentPez

Staff member
2013_06_30 Small Batch Baking Powder Biscuits _ Half Whole Wheat.jpg

Fresh baked biscuits, made with 50% whole wheat flour. Yum.

Although I'm overly full now, I shouldn't have eaten all of them.

Cajungal

Staff member
Nothing fancy, but a romaine salad with homegrown tomatoes, bellpepper, and avocado. Little black pepper and balsamic vinegar. :) Tasty summer meal.

A hamburger with tomatoes and carmelized onions, baked potatoes, and mac and cheese. Made more M&C than I needed, but this one ain't complainin' bout left overs.

Cajungal

Staff member
Parents are taking me to dinner, because my little brother is playing at a restaurant in town. Can't decide between a petit filet with grilled vegetables or a grilled shrimp salad. Both sound great right now.

Prime rib with a red wine reduction and au jus sauce, sauteed mushrooms with a wee drab of sherry to finish them off, and some nice crusty toasted baguette. Got my first paycheck after being unemployed for four months and wanted to treat myself.

Ladies and gentlemen: I give you, Poutine du Sud.

Crinkle cut fries with Wisconsin Cheese curds, covered in Southern-style sausage gravy.

What's for dinner? Nothing.
Apparently my father-in-law didn't realize he was supposed to leave some for me.
So according to my wife, when I get home from work, there will be a pancake and a single slice of bacon waiting for me.
I can't wait.

--Patrick

I celebrated Remembrance Day at the local pub eating their signature hamburger.....which is the least healthy thing I've stuck in myself in months.

It's a half-pound patty deep fried in dark Guinness batter with 3 strips of 1/4 inch thick bacon, fried mushrooms and the rest of the fixings you expect on a burger topped with a skewered deep fried pickle.

It's.....glorious.

What's for dinner? Nothing.
Apparently my father-in-law didn't realize he was supposed to leave some for me.
So according to my wife, when I get home from work, there will be a pancake and a single slice of bacon waiting for me.
I can't wait.

--Patrick
Holy shit, how many times I've encountered this. You, sir, have my sympathies.

Beef short ribs braised in red wine and pomegranate juice, then glazed with a reduction of the braising liquid mixed with some (store bought) demi, over melted leaks and sauteed mushrooms, topped with pomegranate aryls, and served with roasted butternut squash. Very good dinner.

Cajungal

Staff member
Made a deal with jake last week--do my share of the chores from wed-fri and I'll make you a mind-blowing stew on Sunday. It's darn good, except I was out of bay leaves!

Cajungal

Staff member
I'd love to have the recipe for that. My wife and I love stew.
You've got it!

Prep Time: about 1/2 hour to an hour, depending on how leisurely you chop...
Cook Time: about 2 hours

- 3.25 lb Angus beef shoulder (I marinated for an hour in oil, red wine, Worcestershire, and Coca Cola)
- 1 very large yellow onion, minced
- 1 green bellpepper, minced
- about 7 carrots, sliced thick
- 7 small red potatoes, large cube
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- flour for coating meat and roux (about 2/3 cup)
- salt, b/r/w pepper
-coriander
-paprika
-thyme
-parsley
-bay leaf
- vegetable oil (I used avocado)
-1 large container of chicken stock/broth
- about 1/2 bottle of red wine for marinating and deglazing

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F

1. Take meat out of fridge about an hour before cooking. Cut into cubes and pat with paper towels. Blend seasonings to taste and place flour in a flat pan.

2. Heat a stovetop to medium In a large, cast iron pot (or another heavy pot), whisk together 1/4 cup of oil and flour. Whisk constantly on med/med-high until the roux is golden brown or slightly darker. When finished, immediately add onions. Sautee until onions are a little softer, then add garlic. Place onions in a bowl for later.

3. Wipe the pot clean of any burned residue and add fresh oil (about 1-2 tbs). Med-med-high again (depends on your stove). Season meat. Coat in flour just before you cook it. Brown for about 30-40 seconds on both sides and set aside.

4. Deglaze pot with red wine. Add onions and other vegetables. Incorporate the onions evenly so that the roux is spread throughout the mixture. Season the vegetables lightly to taste.

5. Slowly pour stock and a splash more red wine into the pot until it is about an inch away from covering the top of the stew mixture. Stir to further incorporate and add extra liquid if needed. Depends on how thick you want it and how far you want it to go.

6. Place stew in the oven at 290-300 for about 2 hours (again, depends on how powerful your oven is), stirring every half hour. Taste in the middle of cooking and re-season as needed.

7. Enjoy with a nice, crusty bread!

You've got it!

Prep Time: about 1/2 hour to an hour, depending on how leisurely you chop...
Cook Time: about 2 hours

- 3.25 lb Angus beef shoulder (I marinated for an hour in oil, red wine, Worcestershire, and Coca Cola)
- 1 very large yellow onion, minced
- 1 green bellpepper, minced
- about 7 carrots, sliced thick
- 7 small red potatoes, large cube
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- flour for coating meat and roux (about 2/3 cup)
- salt, b/r/w pepper
-coriander
-paprika
-thyme
-parsley
-bay leaf
- vegetable oil (I used avocado)
-1 large container of chicken stock/broth
- about 1/2 bottle of red wine for marinating and deglazing

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F

1. Take meat out of fridge about an hour before cooking. Cut into cubes and pat with paper towels. Blend seasonings to taste and place flour in a flat pan.

2. Heat a stovetop to medium In a large, cast iron pot (or another heavy pot), whisk together 1/4 cup of oil and flour. Whisk constantly on med/med-high until the roux is golden brown or slightly darker. When finished, immediately add onions. Sautee until onions are a little softer, then add garlic. Place onions in a bowl for later.

3. Wipe the pot clean of any burned residue and add fresh oil (about 1-2 tbs). Med-med-high again (depends on your stove). Season meat. Coat in flour just before you cook it. Brown for about 30-40 seconds on both sides and set aside.

4. Deglaze pot with red wine. Add onions and other vegetables. Incorporate the onions evenly so that the roux is spread throughout the mixture. Season the vegetables lightly to taste.

5. Slowly pour stock and a splash more red wine into the pot until it is about an inch away from covering the top of the stew mixture. Stir to further incorporate and add extra liquid if needed. Depends on how thick you want it and how far you want it to go.

6. Place stew in the oven at 290-300 for about 2 hours (again, depends on how powerful your oven is), stirring every half hour. Taste in the middle of cooking and re-season as needed.

7. Enjoy with a nice, crusty bread!
I am so happy right now....

Awesome. Thank you for taking the time to transcribe it, though I do have one question:
Do you intend the garlic to be cooked a bit here? You have us adding it to the onion/roux mixture, and then taking it out of the pot immediately. Or do you intend to let it cook for 1-2 minutes and THEN remove? I understand it will get cooked later in the whole mixture as well, but I wanted to ask about here specifically.

Thanks again.[DOUBLEPOST=1384795288,1384795212][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can one you pork or chicken instead of beef?
IMO for this type of thing, pork would "translate" well (though it may fall apart more than you prefer), though I doubt chicken would. But that's a guess from a non-chef.

I made home made sriracha this last week. I used red serranos (from my dad's garden) and used an adapted Food Wishes recipe. I cut the sugar a little and let it ferment for 3 days. Turned out great! If I ever have a ton of red peppers again then I am definitely doing this again.