Whats for Dinner?

Sparhawk and family at Walt Disney World:

I do most of the photography, I personally took over 4000 shots in 7 days. Some are not usable, low light blur, bump in ride (safari mostly) or motion from subject in low light. But the majority are decent to very good. It was an adults trip, 2 couples no kids, so we got to try some of the very nice restaurants that the other couple would never have the chance to go to, they have an autistic child (man-child, he's 14, 6'8" tall and wears a size 17 shoe) that pretty much will only eat chicken, pizza and fries. We had a superb time, with only 1 place that we ate being somewhere that we all agreed that we won't do again.

I need some advice from you people who know more about cooking than I (or than me? Never been sure about that). I have a few hours to make some buttermilk biscuits and there are no stores within reasonable walking distance which carry buttermilk. I read online I could substitute buttermilk for a cup of milk mixed with a tablespoon of vinegar. Is there truth to this? That sounds... gross. But apparently the point of the buttermilk is the higher acidity than regular milk.

I need some advice from you people who know more about cooking than I (or than me? Never been sure about that). I have a few hours to make some buttermilk biscuits and there are no stores within reasonable walking distance which carry buttermilk. I read online I could substitute buttermilk for a cup of milk mixed with a tablespoon of vinegar. Is there truth to this? That sounds... gross. But apparently the point of the buttermilk is the higher acidity than regular milk.
I've done this tons of times with good success. Let the milk/vinegar mixture sit for about ten minutes, then make sure it's well-mixed before you make the dough. Since it's a bit higher acidity than plain buttermilk, reduce the baking powder a bit and increase the baking soda a bit and it should rise nice and high.

Also, if you have it, substitute 1/4 of the flour with cake flour. If not, no big deal, just be sure not to knead the dough too much or it'll get tough.

You know what I have been wanting to make for like- EVER! A Castella. Its this Japanese Sponge that I've heard is really fucking good.

I swear Halforums, my New Years resolution is to find the time to make a castella and eat the FUCK out of it!

I read online I could substitute buttermilk for a cup of milk mixed with a tablespoon of vinegar. Is there truth to this? That sounds... gross. But apparently the point of the buttermilk is the higher acidity than regular milk.
You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Both work well.

figmentPez

Staff member
Salad with fresh made warm bacon dressing. Oh so delicious, and I've got lots of dressing left over to reheat and nom on later.

I also had a burger, which I put a nice crust on with my cast iron pan. Some sour cream & onion corn puffs for a side, and then homemade pumpkin pie with a ginger snap crumb crust and freshly whipped cream sweetened with honey (well, I whipped it yesterday, but I put some gelatin in to stabilize it.)

Chicken tenders, pretty good ones actually. My school is primarily culinary so they make good food. Their pizza though...runs the gambit. What is it with every school cafeteria I go to making questionable pizza?! Is it just me? Am I cursed?

I think my mother must have dropped me on my head when I was younger. That's the only explanation I can come up with for the fact that I'm willing to make my friend a variety of Chinese dumplings for his birthday dinner tomorrow night. Dim sum, if you will. I'll try to get some pics before they all get inhaled.

Chicken tenders, pretty good ones actually. My school is primarily culinary so they make good food. Their pizza though...runs the gambit. What is it with every school cafeteria I go to making questionable pizza?! Is it just me? Am I cursed?
I really like the dining hall pizza here. They also have garlic cheese bread thats so great. Guess I'm lucky.

I think my mother must have dropped me on my head when I was younger. That's the only explanation I can come up with for the fact that I'm willing to make my friend a variety of Chinese dumplings for his birthday dinner tomorrow night. Dim sum, if you will. I'll try to get some pics before they all get inhaled.
I've been looking for an Asian market/bakery that makes bao for years. I want a place I can get steamed buns without having it be a sitdown restaurant. This really shouldn't be hard in Ohio; we're lousy with Asian markets, Japanese bookstores, and Chinese/Japanese food places because of the Honda plant.

We have several Asian groceries that have good bakeries in them, but I haven't really seen steamed buns sold outside of a sit-down or take-out restaurant; and sadly since Amazon moved out of the International District, a lot of the really good Chinese restaurants and dim sum houses have gone out of business, to the point that it's getting difficult to find a decent place to get a good selection of dumplings or even a small selection with well cooked ingredients. I've had more than my fill of partially cooked shrimp with bits of shell in it. That being said, if you have the right ingredients and a good steamer, you can make steamed bao pretty easily, it just takes time for the dough to rise and time for the buns to steam, and filling them can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

K

König

Homemade chicken parmi, served with sweet potato fries and a simple green salad.

Gyros and Fries! This place called "The Lake House" makes the best Gyros! GYROS!
Okay I posted this because I THOUGHT I was going to eat this but...they cancelled the gyro. So instead I got a "Pork and Broccoli Raab" sandwich with fries. Still good though, the broccoli raab was perfectly cooked, and the fries were delicious.

Ordered in Indian food. A delicious mish mash of various brown pastes that I can't pronounce, and Channa Masala. It was so good.
I tried Indian food for the first time recently. It was kinda amazing. Had some curry, a little chicken marsala, these little friend potato wonton thingees... about the only thing I didn't like was the mint chuntee. It had a nice mellow mint taste... then it got hot. Kinda weird.

Still glad I went.

I like Indian food because it has a very wide array of delicious vegetarian dishes and even the not spicey stuff has just a bit of a kick to it. I love my Channa, my samosas and my buttered naan bread, other than that though, every time I get t I'm getting something new because I don't know how to pronounce it. There is one other dish I tend to get, but I can't remember what it's called. Something something Bharta. It's mashed eggplant.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is my dinner, a sort of savory bread pudding / casserole. It's one of three pans my kludge of a recipe made.

1104121830-00.jpg

Bread, eggs, milk, cheddar cheese, bacon, sausage, Anaheim peppers, onions, green onions, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, coriander and nutmeg. It smells and looks fantastic, waiting for it to cool enough to cut right now.

Cajungal

Staff member
Jake cooked up some ground turkey and made a mushroom gravy. I'm enjoying it over some brown rice with peas.... so delicious!

figmentPez

Staff member
This was delicious:
1104121841-00.jpg

The picture does not do it justice; not that it's pretty anyway. This was so amazingly tasty, I'm so glad it made as much as it did. I will devour this.

This is my dinner, a sort of savory bread pudding / casserole. It's one of three pans my kludge of a recipe made.

View attachment 8814

Bread, eggs, milk, cheddar cheese, bacon, sausage, Anaheim peppers, onions, green onions, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, coriander and nutmeg. It smells and looks fantastic, waiting for it to cool enough to cut right now.
That reminds me of a breakfast casserole I make about once a month, but without a few of your ingredients. I bet it is delicious (and you said so yourself).