What is this "business casual" you speak of? (interview question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm going to be interviewing at a couple places in the fairly near future for a new marketing gig. One of the places just contacted me to set up a time, and told me that I should wear "business casual" and "don't bother with a suit" when I come.

I have never gone to an interview where I wore less than a suit, and I've noticed that "business casual" can be a...flexible term.

Advice?

I got this one guys:

Buttons up shirt.
Tie with "fun" pattern (think naked ladies)
Cargo shorts
Sandals

Just wear a suit. I don't think they'll dock you points for dressing appropriately.
I was thinking that, except he (potential boss) specifically said not to. It probably won't dock me any points, but I suspect it won't gain me any points either.
Added at: 18:29
Tie with dress shirt and slacks should do it. Wear nice shoes.
This seems like probably the safest choice. If I walk in the lobby and the receptionist is watching G4 on the in-lobby TV (not an impossibility), I can always take the tie off.

See, I wouldn't even wear a tie.
You're right. I think business casual may omit the tie in most cases. But really, blue dress shirt and khaki or grey slacks, plain belt, and brown or black shoes (not sneakers). It's the unofficial uniform of the business world.

No tie.

Shirt with at least a collar (ie, polo is fine, button down shirt is fine). The collar defines whether it's business casual or not.

Slacks. They don't have to be suit slacks, but they could. Not jeans. Not shorts. Navy or khaki trousers/slacks.

Nice shoes, not sneakers.

Casual is jeans, tshirt and sneakers.

Business casual is slacks, shirt with a collar, and nice shoes.

Business is suit, tie, and nice shoes.

http://blogs.nordstrom.com/?p=3171

Really though, either camel/stone colored khaki's with a nice button down or, depending on where you're interviewing, very dark denim without whiskering or fading can look very nice, too. I'm all about tailored blazers with dark jeans, too. Love that look.
Sweater vests are also a good way to go, paired with a woven. Basic colored sweater vest with a woven that stands out is really fantastic. :)

<-- Someone the other day came in and bought a charcoal gray vest to go with a purple shirt and it looked pretty amazing. You can pair this with jeans or khaki's, really. :)

This is some good advice guys, thanks!

Sports jacket to go over? It's still a bit cool over here and my normal jacket is a bit ratty looking.

If you want, just make sure it doesn't match the pants, but goes well with it.

Just don't wear a tie. No matter what else you are or aren't wearing, a tie screams "I am a corporate tool and I flaunt your business casual approach. Business casual is serious business."

Sports jacket with no tie would still be casual. Even the tie doesn't really cross the line, but it would be very suit-like.
Added at: 18:50
If you want, just make sure it doesn't match the pants, but goes well with it.

Just don't wear a tie. No matter what else you are or aren't wearing, a tie screams "I am a corporate tool and I flaunt your business casual approach. Business casual is serious business."
That really depends on the company, I think. At Google? probably. On a university campus? Probably not.

That's business casual for hipsters. Seriously, jeans aren't going to go in most places, and the sweater just looks stupid.
Heh, personal taste. As a woman, I like men with a bright woven and muted vest.
And it's true, jeans don't cut it for most places, that link was just a suggestion/inspiration. However, the vest & woven are great separates that can be paired with a lot of other pieces later to get a lot of wear out of them. :D

C

Chibibar

Business Casual. What I think of it? Dress slacks, nice shoes (it is a must NO SNEAKERS or sandals!) and a dress shirt (nice blue color like above) no tie. If they say business casual, don't wear a suit. you may get points dock for not able to follow instructions :)

I interviewed at Wal-Mart for a part time cashier position in a suit and tie.

This isn't really relevant, I just wanted something to add.

I got the job, too.

I have done business casual with a dress shirt, dark jeans, and nicer-but-not-formal shoes. The problem with "business casual" is that it's very vague.

If it's at all possible maybe scope the place out to see what everyone else is wearing.

My dad once lost out on a job because he wore a grey suit and they were a "blue suit company" so it never hurts to check that kind of stuff out.

If it's at all possible maybe scope the place out to see what everyone else is wearing.

My dad once lost out on a job because he wore a grey suit and they were a "blue suit company" so it never hurts to check that kind of stuff out.
The office is in a big, big building in NYC, so I'd have to go to their actual office to figure that out. Pictures they have online would seem to make it a button-down & slacks kind of place.

Maybe bring one of those pens that have the girl in the bikini on them and as you turn it it disappears? You can distract them from your clothes with it!

As a slight update:

Went in last week with black slacks, sky-blue/brown striped button down, brown sportcoat. Talked with them for an hour, which turned into a conversation about marketing and the game industry (industry-specific marketing gig). Sent me an email this morning asking for a follow-up interview with a slightly more senior person.

So, stage 1? Passed. Stage 2? Incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.