[Question] What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've battled depression for most of my life as well. I've tried to find truth or meaning to why I'm here in everything from science to religion. I often get to feeling like it's a big joke as well, but I'm too cowardly to attempt suicide. I just find myself trudging along, hoping that someday I might find an answer to my purpose. In the end, I just have to come terms with the fact that "I am". Even though I'm often an emotional wreck, I put on a smile and help when I can. I try to be as decent of a person as I can be, because nobody else seems to be trying to be, so I might as well be one of the few that is. It's tough, it feels unfair, and I've shed enough tears to last several lifetimes. But for some reason I hold on to that glimmer of hope that things will get better, that karma does exist, and that I'll eventually find out why "I am". And it gives me a small amount of comfort.

No answer, found anywhere, offered by anyone, even discovered for yourself, is going to sound satisfying or real if you're suffering from depression, because when you're suffering from depression, everything sucks. There isn't room for being neutral on questions like this--everything about it going to look sucky through the eyes of depression. Finding a purpose cannot cure depression, but working through depression can free the mind so that it can find purpose.

Many people who've never actually suffered from depression don't realize how debilitating it can be. I remember specifically the reactions to a picture that was posted in one of the threads with a noose and the inside of the noose being all bright and sunny. That picture really spoke to me on a deep level because that's exactly how I've felt in the throes of depression. It doesn't mean that it was an encouragement of suicide, but rather what it feels like for a person who is actually suffering from depression.

Think I stopped stressing about the meaning of life, the universe and everything about the time I joined the Corps. I'm sure there is doubtless some smart-ass response to that from some libtard out there, but honestly, when my life was broken down to the simplest of tasks and pushing myself harder than I ever had before in my life, my soul was at peace.

Now, this has obviously been adjusted as I've gotten into law enforcement and had to deal with the seedier side of humanity, but I found peace from my depression and over-active mind in service. Service to my country, service to my community. I strive to be a good example to my junior officers, to show the people around me that not all cops are corrupt, power-abusing, innocent-beating doughnut-scroungers. At the same time, I try and show that we're not all so dedicated to enforcing the law that we become soulless robots.

I work hard to protect the law-abiding without succumbing to the temptations inherent in this job, and I am content with my lot, for the most part. (I'd rather be back in the military, all things considered, but that's something else).

I'm not saying that a life of service is for everyone, but it can be pretty fulfilling, if you're looking for a direction. If nothing else, it can expose you to elements that you wouldn't normally associate with - broadens your horizons.

One of the things I always think when I read about like in service (which was not an option for me, but I could have definitely befitted from) is that it sounds like the push and strain really leads to awareness. At the risk of spouting hippy-type platitudes, I've found that existential crisis is often thwarted by simply being aware of what you're doing and focusing on the actual world as opposed to living inside my head all of the time. It's one of the ways I deal with my own depression, which in my twenties was crippling but now is just something I deal with.

Matthew Inman (of TheOatmeal fame) just took a stab at answering this very question.
His results look promising, but we need to see if they can be replicated by independent researchers.

Volunteers?

--Patrick

Think I stopped stressing about the meaning of life, the universe and everything about the time I joined the Corps. I'm sure there is doubtless some smart-ass response to that from some libtard out there...
I've been told I resemble a libtard, but here's my response: I don't feel your comment is out of place at all.
I firmly believe* a person can't achieve satisfaction/enlightenment/purpose/whatever until he** dedicates himself to something he sees as larger than himself. What it is does not matter. Gangs, religion, brand identity, political party, or TV series devotee. What does matter is that he believe in it fully*.

--Patrick
*As a tenet. A Truth. A maxim. A thing which repels argument by sheer force of veracity.
**Substitute with pronouns that are genderless if you so require it.

My bike has sat in the shed since we moved to the new house... in 2006. :(
I never replaced any of the gear that burned in 2005. :(
I bought running shoes while in the in-between house. The box is in my closet, still unopened. :(

I had a heart attack in 2008. I'm scared of what could happen if I start running again. How much is too much at the start?

I COULD DO 10Ks IN UNDER AN HOUR IN MY MID-30S, DAMMIT!! I want that back, or at least some of it.

Screw it. There's the rail trail downtown. It's flat, and marked with posts every mile.

As soon as I get home, I should get changed, go there, and jog to the first post and back.

And then a little faster the next day. And then a little faster. And so on.

Never fucking mind. The blergh wins. Everyone else wants their piece of my time, money, and energy.

I'm not fit to drive right now, so I'm just going to bed.

I have been literally typing and erasing answers for the last five minutes, here are the top four.

The meaning in life is the belief that life has meaning(yes that is from the Community Christmas special, it had a HUGE impact on me).

To exist, and keep on existing.

That no matter how small our action we will leave an impact on this world.

And this one applies specifically to me- to utterly confound, confuse, and bring chaos wherever I go all for the greater good. Also to fight the reptiloid armada, but that goes without saying.

The basic question has always confounded me in that it's vague enough to be "deep" but not specific enough that it is the same question for every person.

Operationally, what are our definitions of meaning?

We tend to throw around words assuming that we're all talking about the same thing, but my definition of meaning in terms of life, the universe and everything may differ from yours.

I feel a little cheated, actually. I spent a lot of time crafting what I believe to be the perfect definition of "success" (as I define it), but I don't have anything ready-made for "meaning of life."

--Patrick

Welp. Good thing I went to bed instead of doing... anything else. Because I got called into work at 5. That's like 2am to the rest of you. And I still have the Sunday overnight shift to go. :mad:

Friday's paycheck is gonna be sweeeet. :D

I'm kind of dissapointed in OC's use of the term "libtard", but I agree with PatrThom's assessment.
There's Liberal, there's VERY Liberal, there's DANGEROUSLY liberal, and then there's Libtarded, somewhere about a mile left of Lenin.

Conservatism has the same sliding scale, IMO.

While I absolutely agree there are libtards out there (some of them still seem to live on my facebook wall :p), as the cute dog said - it's a derogatory term used so often and to imply such a large group of people, it's hard to see it as used correctly, even when used correctly. Much like "neocon" or "neolib", it's lost all meaning.

Apologies for unknowingly having given offense... didn't know that the term was so pejorative... thought it was a blanket term for the folks who were liberal to the point of losing common sense.

Replace use of "libtard" with "dumbass." *raises eyebrow*

I'm a left-wing bleeding heart liberal, but I know far too many people like that to not find most of them funny. As blown-up stereotypes for jokes, of course. Too bad some are really that bad in rela life, too :p

(note: some are more questionable, but let's be nice)

@Officer_Badass: not so much that it's such a pejorative term, but using it is like using the term "commie nazi" when referring to Obama, or "sheeple" when referring to the unwashed masses - it tends to undercut your trustworthiness/how serious you're taken, because it's a term mostly used exclusively by one extreme end ofthe spectrum to identify the whol other half of the spectrum. It can be used to only identify the other extreme, by people closer to the center, but it's rarely used like that these days.

*edit* Better comparison: the term "feminazi". On he one hand, even convinced feminists and female/minority/other rights activists have to acknowledge there *is* a very, very small group of people who fit this bill - the type of women who think the human race would be better off without men and just artificial insemination, that sort of thing. On the other hand, most people who use the term "feminazi" do so as a way to paint all feminists/equal rights activists with one big broad brush and equate anyone who thinks a female High Justice is a good idea, to one of the former - it's a way of trying to identify any and all of your opponents by their most extreme examples, thus making fighting them easier.

GB, could you maybe put that in quotes so at least you're not breaking the thread for people with slower connections?

GasBandit

Staff member
GB, could you maybe put that in quotes so at least you're not breaking the thread for people with slower connections?
Well, I'm not sure it helps, but I spoilered it. The reason I'm not sure it helps is because, as noted in the xenforo update thread, the new spoiler plugin is initially loading all spoilers as "open" and then closing them as soon as the page is loaded...

Besides, they're less than 7 megs total :p we post gifs bigger than that routinely.

Status
Not open for further replies.