[Question] What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the purpose behind our existence? I find it empty and generally difficult and painful.

I find no meaning in it.

What do you find? What do you believe?

(42 is the meaning to life, universe and everything, smartasses, I'm limiting it to one of those 3. Which I guess is 14 depending on how you do your math.)

You know I am not really sure, I have often wondered this very thing myself.

I would love to be able to have some beautiful/sentimental reason to list but I don't. I think the main thing that keeps me going is the fact that I want to find that reason/meaning for my life. I don't want my life to have no meaning so I have the purpose of living and striving to find that special reason/meaning that finally makes my life worth living.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. My friend has a comparable belief stemming from his own religious convictions. It begs "what is joy" and calls into question various religious restrictions, which I would posit restrict joy, though others would argue steer us from misery: that difference in reasoning is possibly unresolvable, but also neither here nor there.

What is meaning: to have joy. So, what is joy? I mean, yes, maybe it's turtles all the way down, but then it all seems a bit... abyssy

I don't think there is some galactic force that gives you a purpose in life. You make your life what you want to make of it. Find your own purpose.

And try not to hurt too many other people...

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think there is some galactic force that gives you a purpose in life. You make your life what you want to make of it. Find your own purpose.

Unless that IS your purpose.

Then kill them all, and you're a GOD.

See, I also take issue with this. If my purpose is my own design or discovery, and I find that journey difficult or fruitless, what ought to propel me to keep going? I guess I'm supposed to have an inherent or evolutionary attachment to life, but, practically, if there's no objective purpose, then I don't want to just manufacture one, and live out for some lie. If life were enjoyable for me, I could consider perhaps just riding it out, but I don't really... like it.

I appreciate how dreary this sounds, but lately my sounding boards for this type of philosophising have been unavailable, so now I subject the forum to my grim view of existence.

As many answers as there are people who have thought about it.
Personally, I end up somewhere with the hedonists - which is ironic considering my lifestyle (boring job, simply happy together thing with my girlfriend, lots of mental issues, a distinct lack of fun).
I'm not at all convinced there's an actual, higher, defined "meaning" for life. That is, I don't know if there's reason someone decided that hey, let's have (human) life! Seems like a good way to achieve [goal]. If the Earth is one big computer, I haven't realized it yet from in here.
Some people find hope/faith in religion. I envy them. Some find real and deep meaning in trying to raise their offspring as good as possible. Some see the reason for life as making the world a better place for others.
All of those are nice and sound good, but convincing yourself can be hard if they aren't what you feel inside, yourself.As far as I can make out, as I said, it's pretty hedonistic (in the original sense): our purpose, as self-aware life, is to have the greatest amount of happiness. Everyone needs to define that for themselves, though, and I don't necessarily mean it in the way "hedonistic" is usually interpreted - booze and whore your life away for there is nothing more. Perhaps on the contrary, as most people find pure pursuits of personal enjoyment ultimately unfulfilling. If you can find joy in raising children, there it is. If you can find contentment in spending your time giving to the community in a soup kitchen, there you go. If you find you feel you achieve the most you can through climbing Mount Everest, that may be where you find meaning.

Unfortunately, I find myself in the situation that I don't know how or where I could feel like I achieve something special, or how I can feel fulfilled with what I have done so far; I haven't yet found what fills me with joy of the real kind. Quite the opposite, this makes me feel like I'm sort of wasting my time here, sitting around on the couch after work, just wasting time watching tv and doing absolutely nothing of worth, while I could, potentially, if only I knew how, be doing something to make a difference.
It isn't helped by me being both lazy and supplied with a body that can feel like a jail at times. So, err, you may want to follow someone else's advice if you're looking for a way out of your slump.

However, if you do know what it is that gives you pleasure in life and makes you feel fulfilled, you should definitely pursue it and feel good about doing it, no matter how trivial it may seem to some. One man's crumb is another man's feast and all that, and you never know what you may achieve through seemingly insignificant things.

And no, this isn't some sort of solipsistic/egoistical thing - because behaving properly towards others (such as "not deserting your spouse to go and have that threesome you always wanted" or whatever sort of "it'll make me feel good so let's do it" crazy you might want to think up) can, in and of itself, be a reason to feel good or proud about yourself.

Why does there have to be a purpose? And why should it just be provided for you?
There doesn't have to be, but if there isn't one, I'm finding it very difficult to rationalise why I get up in the mornings.

There is also no reason it "should" just be provided for me, but since I seem incapable of finding it, and that is among the things that make me quite miserable, I guess I'd appreciate it being provided. I guess assuming there is a meaning but it is concealed from me just seems deleterious to my mental welfare, and kind of like a practical joke I don't have the good humour to take in stride. "There is meaning... buuuuuut we're not telling you what that is." Oh. Okay.

That sucks.

For me, anyway. I mean, people seem fine with all sorts of things. The certainty of religious beliefs, the uncertainty and mystery of the universe, the hope of a better world, the optimism of future generations. I do not have or share these things. I see life as basically empty, with lots of internal suffering that I am simply exhausted by, and moments of fun and joy that are insufficient encouragements to endure the former.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

(Had to.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always kinda took comfort in there not being a meaning. It's liberating to just live for myself instead of a higher purpose.

I don't need to spread some religion because my all loving god is going to hate me if I don't. I don't need to have shitty little kids to help keep an overly populated species going. I just have to do what makes me happy.

To advance the species. This can be genetically, but it may be more important to do so in other ways (scientifically, technologically, etc.) Why advancement? We don't know our purpose until we advance. It is the answer rather than the reason; The answer to the meaning of our lives is in the distant future and you or I will likely never know it. It may be that it was all pointless happenstance. Discovery is the only way to find out for sure. So for the time being, the purpose for you and I, the answer is: Progress. Improve our lot.

I truly find it fascinating that everyone seems to have (a variety of) beliefs that encourage them to live, while I struggle to see any real incentive to continue my existence. It makes me very curious about how you can draw those conclusions, while I seem unable to, and not for lack of exploration.

I truly find it fascinating that everyone seems to have (a variety of) beliefs that encourage them to live, while I struggle to see any real incentive to continue my existence. It makes me very curious about how you can draw those conclusions, while I seem unable to, and not for lack of exploration.

Well, in case you missed it, at the very least, you're not alone ;)

What hobbies do you have? What do you like doing?

I can't find it now, but at one point I had a list of several things that typically motivate people. Curiosity, authority, connection, receiving admiration from others, etc.

For instance, if I didn't have other things I wanted to do more, I could simply sit in front of a computer and learn new things all day, all week, all month, all year. I would have enjoyed being a perpetual student. Curiosity distracts me from almost everything else.

I do know that if I let myself remain idle for any length of time, my thoughts do tend toward depression. I have to keep my mind, and often hands, engaged in something constructive, curious, thoughtful, etc.

I don't know what you might find interesting. Some people enjoy comics/anime/etc. Movies, reading, etc. these are acts of consumption and feed curiosity.

Others might get into model railroads, programming, web design, construction, etc. acts of creativity and construction can feed a variety of needs. Some people need to show off their works to gain admiration of others, while some merely need to create, the only reward being that they got something out of their head into the real world.

Some thrive on activism and politics. Being able to make a point that is heard, agreed upon,and promoted by others brings a great deal of satisfaction to the person who started it. A modification of this motivation would be arguing, and there are several examples on is forum of people who can argue either side of an issue and find pleasure in being able to fight with others using words, thoughts, etc.

Most people have one or two main motivators, but can derive pleasure and happiness from most of them. Motivation may change throughout ones life, which is why you find some people doing one thing for years, then suddenly realizing they've lost the motivation and love they used to have for it, and have been doing it recently merely because its what they've always done.

Now here's an interesting thing about human nature: the opposite can also happen.

If you start doing something which is now meaningless to you, simply going through the motions, you may develop a love or motivation for it, particularly if you expand on it in directions that tickle your fancy.

I suspect that choosing an activity which can result in many motivations being filled would be good. It may not be the physical activity of track layout that makes you happy about model railroading, but the reactions you get from others when you post your track layout online. Or perusing the many technologies surrounding the hobby. Or being creative and designing and building your own set pieces that are accurate for the obscure town you're recreating. Or working with others online to develop the next generation of track controls, or having a live video feed of your train online that always has a few dozen interested viewers. Or the podcast/blog/video blog that you make discussing your foray into the hobby.

Lastly, one thing that I find that almost always helps (not fixes or erases) for loneliness and depression is serving others. Not only are you helping them, but you're also helping yourself feel useful and wanted, which is something that can be hard to see when you are focusing on your problems and loneliness. You are needed, you can help others. It may seem like a lot of work for no reward, but you might be surprised at how the heartfelt gratitude of others makes you feel, and right now you're really battling with your own feelings.

Never one to back down from an existential crisis, I've found that my meaning of life is tautological; my meaning of life is to search for a meaning. And I find the hints of that meaning as I progress through life; relationships, travel, doing good deeds. All play a part in creating a larger meaning.

Cajungal

Staff member
After sleeplessness, panic attacks, and bouts with nihilism, I feel like my mind is protecting me from the fear and confusion that this question causes. One morning I woke up and was content to go about my routine and enjoy the day to day with family and friends without searching for anything more. Maybe that's just what I need right now, or maybe it's what I'll continue to live for. I live every day trying to help, not harm and find new things to learn and enjoy. It's really surprising how easily this decision came to me. Sometimes I feel lazy for not "searching" anymore, I guess, but I feel healthier and happier. Maybe it's okay to make peace with not knowing.

Because they are after-the-fact justifications, not motivations in their own right. There are no truths spoken in this thread. You won't find any answers, only some options to talk yourself into believing as plausible.

I'm not looking for truth -or, I am, but I do not expect it here- but I am looking to see how other people cope with the big questions.

I despair; I am good at despair. Each day gets a little harder to see how any answer could be satisfying enough to make this pain worthwhile. Each day the surreal silent din of oblivion tempts me more. But instead I wake up, go off to work, do a good job, and make an income to support an existence I feel resentful of.

I guess it's extraordinarily difficult for me to see things from the points of view of any of you. I don't mean to proselytize my depression, as though this awful twisted and cold reality is the one you too should see. I am sometimes stressed that I feel poorly understood and that I understand other people so poorly.

I appreciate all feedback to this, though. I asked the question in earnest. I really do wonder what people understand meaning to be, and how to derive meaning in life. I appreciate everyone's thoughts, everyone's feedback, everyone's counter-questions.

BananaHands

Staff member
My father drunkenly told me and a group of my friends it was 'pussy, even if you're a woman! still pussy!' when I was like 11.

Been mulling over this for over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.