[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

I should probably start All-Star Superman. It's been in my to-read pile for four or five months now.
I am nowhere near as big a fan of Superman as Nick is. While I like the character & what he represents well enough I am rarely interested in actually reading any Superman comics. That said I consider All-Star Superman to be perhaps the greatest example of how good comics can be so far this century.

fade

Staff member
Batman:White Knight- This is some DAMN good satire right here.

Bane:Conquest-

Foolish Bane, you can't seem to control-KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Superman-

Lois Lane uses a gun...THE FUCK YOU STANDING AROUND FOR -buy it!

Batman:Devastator-

Honestly the weaker of the origins for the Dark Knights, but still pretty cool.

Justice League: Bats out of hell

Honestly more of a preview for the real fights, but Flash and Red Death's fight is AWESOME looking!

Green Lanterns-

And the SimonJess fans weep!

Batman

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH-that's why their there, yeah that makes sense.
I can't decide if the white Knight Harley explanation is good satire or eye rollingly groany.[DOUBLEPOST=1510029259,1510029175][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am nowhere near as big a fan of Superman as Nick is. While I like the character & what he represents well enough I am rarely interested in actually reading any Superman comics. That said I consider All-Star Superman to be perhaps the greatest example of how good comics can be so far this century.
I should read this too. I thought the all-star stories were generally poorly regarded. Is that just Batman?

I can't decide if the white Knight Harley explanation is good satire or eye rollingly groany.[DOUBLEPOST=1510029259,1510029175][/DOUBLEPOST]
I should read this too. I thought the all-star stories were generally poorly regarded. Is that just Batman?
It's just Frank Miller's Batman and Robin.

Batman Earth 1

This.... sure was a Batman story. Don't get me wrong they did some new things like making Alfred all grizzled and whatnot, but admittedly its yet another origin story .

Superman Earth 1

Okay this, THIS is interesting , we see plenty of stories where the government conspires against the Action Ace, but Ive never seen it done SO bureaucratically. Also Zod's costume looked AWESOME!

Batman Lost

DAMN this got meta, went straight to the FIRST Batman story and everything.

Juistice League of America

Prometheus AND Doctor Chaos? MY CUP RUNNETH OVER!

With next week bringing another Metal tie-in for Justice League and then Christopher Priest's run starting in December, it just makes sense to add it to my pull.

Milestone Comics's Icon

Okay-THIS-is my shit! All the alienation of Martian Manhunter, all the powers of Superman, and all the rage of...well any black person during the nineties! Also Icon has one of those nineties capes like Spawn and then-era Superman, LOVE that shit.

Supersons 10 and Batman Rules of Engagement part 3 are my picks of the mother fucking WEEK, Dick and Jon bounce off Damian SO well

The Batman who Laughs

EASILY-the freakiest out of all the origins of the Dark Knights...also from what I've read, TBWL MAY become a staple...and seeing what he did in his origin comic...yeah Multiverse 1 is in TROUBLE-again.

Superman

Jon plays with some puppies, what more do you NEED?!

Green Lanterns

And the SimonJess shippers...cried out in pain.

The American Way

AH-surprise twist character, yes! LOVE this series.

Last edited:
The Batman who Laughs

EASILY-the freakiest out of all the origins of the Dark Knights...also from what I've read, TBWL MAY become a staple...and seeing what he did in his origin comic...yeah Multiverse 1 is in TROUBLE-again.
This was a genuine horror story. It helped that it remained focused, the one-shot just telling its story instead of bouncing back and forth between the origin and current events. Probably because we've already seen so much of The Batman Who Laughs in action. Tightly-focused nightmare fuel for a DC fan, and thematically unsettling as well. It's an interesting mirror to what they're doing with the Joker in Batman: The White Knight.

Batman #35 was just so perfect. Selina captured in a few words what Tom King is doing with his run, the same thing its detractors are so irritated by. Batman is not this superior ultimate example of man that Talia and many Batman fans have built him up to be. He's a talented person handicapped by a traumatic event from his childhood that has never left him. Talia loves the idea of Batman. Selina loves very mortal Bruce Wayne who is also Batman.

Doomsday Clock #1

I can tell from this first issue that this maxi-series will take its time developing itself, more a book than a monthly. So far it's mostly an intriguing continuation of the Watchmen world.

Which only runs up against the current Superman continuity at the very end. The implications of where the core cast are headed is obvious to anyone who's been following Rebirth.

Looking forward to next issue. I'll be interested to see if the cover is relevant to the contents.

I like how they tried emulating Watchmen's tone, pace, style, and structure, but it's a poor emualtion like bad fan-fiction.

Not to mention completely shitting on the original's ambiguous ending in the opening pages.

This shouldn't exist. Period. Watchmen is fine as a standalone. Including them into the DCU adds nothing of value. They're just inevitable background and canon fodder for future events. They won't add anything of value in the long run. See also: Wildstorm & Milestone (with the exception of Static).

I like how they tried emulating Watchmen's tone, pace, style, and structure, but it's a poor emualtion like bad fan-fiction.

Not to mention completely shitting on the original's ambiguous ending in the opening pages.

This shouldn't exist. Period. Watchmen is fine as a standalone. Including them into the DCU adds nothing of value. They're just inevitable background and canon fodder for future events. They won't add anything of value in the long run. See also: Wildstorm & Milestone (with the exception of Static).
I don't think Watchmen's ending is ambiguous. The final image is the doomsday clock drenched in blood; Moore seemed pretty direct there.

If this merits existing, it'll be on the side of DC, not on the side of Watchmen. Watchmen is its own beginning and end. But I won't be able to judge that for many months if this is going to be the pacing.

But I also don't think this is going to be permanent. I did previously, but having read the issue, I think the characters' presence in the DC universe will be this series, plus next summer's event. Technically, by Rebirth's rules, at least one Watchmen character has been in the DC universe since Flashpoint.

So this could be an unmingling of worlds rather than integration.

In any case, someone's already figured out who's under the mask.

:awesome:

And by someone you mean anyone whose kept up to date on DC in the past ten years. Seriously though I liked it, good start to the mini-series.

Action Comics 992: Oz Effect Aftermath

Well this seems like a pretty good basic endiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin-
HOLY SHIT HE'S BACK-Booster Gold is back-PRAISE THE SOURCE! ALSO-dammit Clark, what is it with you superheroes and going back in time to your parents' deaths? THREE FOR DAMN THREE!

Justice League: Bats out of Hell finale

FUCK YES-Raven remembers she and Cyborg were friends! LOVING THIS!

Justice League of America

Some damn good action scenes-BUT-I do admit the previous story-arch was WAY more interesting. Glad to see Blue Jay though, missed that...weird Antman allegory character.

The Demon: Hell is Earth

Looks like their taking some pages from Hulk, having the Demon be the main one while Jason sticks in the back seat. Neat!

You know maybe the Arrowverse writers were onto something making Mirror Master a meta, the stuff he does in the old comics...is DAMN ridiculous. I can buy Dr.Alchemy just HAPPENING to stumble upon the philosopher's stone based on a story his cellmate said, but every explanation Mirror Master gives is just confusing. JUST SAY ITS MAGIC DAMMIT!

Man the way Silver-Age Flash found the bad guys got repetitive, "OH look, he's vibrating at a super speed so he can see the radiation trail. That was cool the FIRST TEN TIMES HE DID IT!"

One definite plus the old days had, Barry would come up with some INSANE uses of the speed-force to take out his enemies, ALL on his own...where as the CW-version is an insecure MESS thanks to Eobard's meddling and needs his support group. Still like that version, in fact it works as a neat Elseworld for me, but I'll always prefer the more creative Silver-Age Scarlet Speedster.

Last edited:
Batman Annual was sweet and funny most of the way ... and then sweet and heartbreaking for the last quarter of it.

Cut ahead decades from now to elderly Bruce and Selina, still having the same argument about when they first met. Between panels, it's clear Bruce has been diagnosed with a cancer of some kind. And he just rolls with it, and goes on about how that reminds me of some guy he used to train under. In that scene, Selena loses composure, because even though Bruce is droning on about ancient history, she realizes how much she's going to miss his droning and how he just goes along with what's happening. Helena is in this continuity of events. At one point, Bruce tells Selina to have Barry go to another Earth in the multiverse and find her another Bruce to take care of her, because he's on his death bed.

When he dies, she's at his bedside, and behind her are all the kids--Dick and Barbara, apparently together. Tim looks like he did in Return of the Joker movie. Jason, Damian, Cass, Stephanie, and one who might be Carrie Kelly, which implies some version of Batman going back into this crap happened, though probably not like in The Dark Knight Returns. It's just an incredible set of pages, giving Bruce a peaceful, happy end to his life. I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop off from this title years from now when Tom King leaves, because I'm sure the next writer will be eager to smash this continuity and do their own thing.

So, after that stuff ... Super Sons Annual was amazing. Pretty much a Pets Justice League, Krypto and Titus team up with some other super pets to solve a dog-napping case. This issue was so much fun. My wife is still giggling over it across the living room :p. There's some fun banter between Jon and Damian before they exit the story. There's a weird contradiction, where you'd think it would take less time to read this since there's less dialogue, but you actually need to take more time looking at the panels to read what the pets' expressions and body language are saying to each other. There's a fun cameo by

Detective Chimp!

And insinuation of a melodramatic angst backstory that tore the super pets apart, taking the piss out of some of the superhero vs superhero stories we're used to. :D It's almost too good to be an annual, yet it needed to be longer to fit in so much art.

And lastly

Not that anyone was going to buy it, but don't buy the Aquaman annual. The story is derivative and uninspired and the art is horrid. It's a hard curve going from reading Abnett, with art by Sejic, for the last six issues of Aquaman, only to have a bargain bin guest writer and artist put out this muck for $5. Just awful.

Batman Annual was sweet and funny most of the way ... and then sweet and heartbreaking for the last quarter of it.

Cut ahead decades from now to elderly Bruce and Selina, still having the same argument about when they first met. Between panels, it's clear Bruce has been diagnosed with a cancer of some kind. And he just rolls with it, and goes on about how that reminds me of some guy he used to train under. In that scene, Selena loses composure, because even though Bruce is droning on about ancient history, she realizes how much she's going to miss his droning and how he just goes along with what's happening. Helena is in this continuity of events. At one point, Bruce tells Selina to have Barry go to another Earth in the multiverse and find her another Bruce to take care of her, because he's on his death bed.

When he dies, she's at his bedside, and behind her are all the kids--Dick and Barbara, apparently together. Tim looks like he did in Return of the Joker movie. Jason, Damian, Cass, Stephanie, and one who might be Carrie Kelly, which implies some version of Batman going back into this crap happened, though probably not like in The Dark Knight Returns. It's just an incredible set of pages, giving Bruce a peaceful, happy end to his life. I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop off from this title years from now when Tom King leaves, because I'm sure the next writer will be eager to smash this continuity and do their own thing.
No Terry McGuinness or is this a non-Batman Beyond timeline or one of the ones with a dead Terry? Only asking because they made Time look like he did in Return of the Joker.

No Terry McGuinness or is this a non-Batman Beyond timeline or one of the ones with a dead Terry? Only asking because they made Time look like he did in Return of the Joker.
No Terry. DC is still adamant that Batman Beyond is in another timeline or parallel Earth's future, so no one doing a Batman comic has to worry about how it'll affect the Batman Beyond comic. I think they just went with that design because the current team are clearly big fans of Bruce Timm's animated stuff. In the flashback from the same issue, Catwoman is in her Batman: TAS costume.

Loved BOTH those damn comics, and I hope BatCat lasts that long.

Green Arrow Annual

This was a fun Christmas special, still full of Green Arrow angst and violence...also Count Vertigo can FLY now? Weird.

Right, it was a good mix of light and dark elements....also that Teen Titans issue everyone's been dreading where Damian gets a crush on Emiko is gonna be TWICE as awkward now!

Spent a decent bit of the weekend reading part of the New 52's start, namely Scott Snyder's run of Swamp Thing and Jeff Lemire's Animal Man. At this point I'm well into the Rotworld crossover that necessitated reading them together in the first place.

I just finished Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing a few weeks ago, and while some ideas are interested, its devotion to Alan Moore's ideas only highlights that contrast between their inception then and their use here. It's one thing to resurrect Holland, but there's no reason to treat the old Swamp Thing as a mistaken creation. The way it drags out Holland's reluctance feels like needless padding, probably brought on by editorial mandate tying the series to Animal Man. I also don't like how Snyder seems to need to fit every aspect of mythology he's using in a neat compartment of the plot machine. It lacks organic storytelling and it's hard for me to take as a decent standalone when it takes time to undercut the older run while alos being built on it.

Animal Man feels like the stronger series. I read Morrison's run not too long ago as well, and some of its major out-there components being used here is brilliant, while the comic's story itself feels like a continuation of Buddy Baker's life rather than trying to redefine aspects of the mythos. It does redefine them, but that feels like a natural evolution of events, differing from Swamp Thing. If I had one complaint, it's that I'd been hoping this would build more on the stuff in the intro, about Buddy's changing identity as a public figure, trying to balance that, super hero stuff, and family, a slow-paced horror comic as he deals with Maxine's powers. Instead, the comic runs at breakneck pace as the story of the Rot overtakes everything.

I'll finish Swamp Thing, especially seeing as the series ends shortly after the Rotworld arc ends, but I don't think I'd go through it again. Animal Man is much more worth a re-read, at least from this near-halfway through vantage point.

Yeah, I really dislike Snyder's Swamp Thing as a character. And by that I guess I mean I dislike Alec Holland. I thank Tom King for writing old Swamp Thing in the Batman one-parter from this past May.

And I don't think Scott Snyder liked the character either, because while Swamp Thing parts feel lazy, any time the narrative pulls away from him it gets much more atmospheric and interesting.

Last edited:
Tom King does his take on Batman vs Superman. It is the pettiest, most passive aggressiveness, hilarious nonsense of these two grown morons while their better halves look on knowing better.

Essentially, Batman feels Superman should call to congratulate him on his engagement, and Superman feels Batman should call to tell him he's engaged first, even though he already knows. And both refuse to be the first one to call, even with Selina and Lois egging each of them to stop being evasive and call the other.

I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this arc.

Oh my god I just now realized her tail went up-AMAZING...and confusing, but hell her fiance has all the best tech, why can't she have a reactionary tail?

fade

Staff member
It seems after the second time skip in Attack on Titan, all the male characters decided to grow douchy crustaches.

I think I'm just not jiving with Jeff Lemire.

At this point I've read most of his Old Man Logan and disliked it, his Animal Man run that left me underwhelmed in the end, and the first volume of Descender, which I'm not crazy about. That's ten trades. There's not much exactly wrong with his writing, except his love of "sudden never-established element appears to solve problem", but I haven't felt satisfied except for a few points here and there with Animal Man, but I don't know if that's my love of the character or if I need to give the run another read without being interrupted by Snyder's lackluster Swamp Thing run.

I'm going to read Descender vol 2 just to see, but at this point I'm feeling wary about The Terrifics or checking out Sweet Tooth.

At least check out the first volume of Sweet Tooth. I haven't read Descender, so I don't what that's like, but I've enjoyed most of Lemire's non-DC/Marvel work.
(I know, Sweet Tooth is Vertigo and technically DC, but not same thing)

At least check out the first volume of Sweet Tooth. I haven't read Descender, so I don't what that's like, but I've enjoyed most of Lemire's non-DC/Marvel work.
(I know, Sweet Tooth is Vertigo and technically DC, but not same thing)
Alright, I'll give it a shot. It'll be the first of his books that I purchase though, since the rest of these were either gifts or in Descender's case, belonging to my wife. I felt I had to throw that in in case anyone wondered why I kept buying books by someone I didn't care for :p

I'm getting fed up with Tamaki on She-Hulk.

Even with the story finally heading towards things I want, each issue is so barren, as if every panel can only hold a few words. I feel like I've read half a comic each time. The art is also empty, likely because either Tamaki expects the artist to put stuff in or the artist expects to be told what to draw. It'd be less noticable if there was more written, but there isn't. The writing isn't exactly capturing the characters either, except in the October issue, and except for the Leader. He's pretty much only been in one issue, but Tamaki has his nuances down so well that he feels just like he did in older Hulk comics.

I'm really hoping things turn around once She-Hulk goes green again.