[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Picked these up this week.

I already blew through them both. Except for the storyline introducing Impulse, I've never read the rest of this volume of Waid's Flash run. And it's amazing. There's a great storyarc where Wally is sued for negligence and it's some really great character drama for him. I'm beyond happy DC is finally giving Waid's run a proper collection. I can't wait for the rest of the run. Though I wonder how they'll deal with future volumes. Waid took a break from Flash for about a year and Grant Morrison & Mark Millar took over. And I wonder if they'll also include Waid's short return to the book for six issues when Wally had kids. I also wonder if DC plans to collect his Impulse run to coincide with this.

Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner is...okay. It definitely hasn't aged as well, even though I still enjoy it. But Hal Jordan's fall is rushed in four issues as he goes 0 to 100 from broken hero to maniacal villain. Kyle starts off being really annoying and self-centered. And then, of course, there's the infamous "fridging" that coined the term "women in fridges." And...yeah, it's in worse taste than I remember. Neither Kyle or his girlfriend Alex are developed enough to make her death anything less than a cheap shock stunt. It's hard going from Waid's well-written Flash, with some genuined character development to something that's rushed and ingenuine. Even worse, soon after Alex is killed, Kyle meets another woman who is killed in the same issue she's introduced. It really sucked to be a woman in Ron Marz' Green Lantern run.

Still, nostalgia fueled about 40% of my enjoyment and maybe another 20% for my biased love of Kyle as my first Green Lantern. I know he becomes a better character along the way, but this early stuff is rough. I liked that this included some crossover issues like R.E.B.E.L.S. and New Titans. The writing is New Titans is surprisingly sloppy for Marv Wolfman. And in the last issue, there's a printing error with two pages out of order. I might return it and see if I can re-order a fixed copy if it's avaiable.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Batman the Drowned

Okay, now I have a theory on what bad ideas REALLY made the dark multiverse:Fan-stories. "Okay so it's a reverse gender version of Batman, but she's no wuss, she KILLS! Also, she's part mermaid." I love it.

Batman #33

I see no reason for this. I'll put this in a spoiler because the issue acts like it's a big secret that's revealed on the last page, but I knew exactly what was happening just by looking at the cover.

"I'm Batman, just doing that normal thing where I invade an off-limits place to tell my ex that I'm getting married, an ex who is cut off from the world and while yes, she's the mother of my son, doesn't have much of anything to do with him, so what difference does it make?"

Bruce is being a drama queen. Again.

The Mighty Thor #700: The Death of Thor, part 1

This was a setup issue, but far more engaging than Aaron's other recent setup issue, Marvel Legacy, even though his characterization of gray She-Hulk did my girl Jen wrong. I'm excited for where this is going.

fade

Staff member
Action Comics

I have a really hard time believing that Ozymandius is intelligent enough to intercept the Phantom Zone projector, which he's presumably never seen before. I know he's smart, but one of the great things about Watchmen was that he was somewhat realistically smart--he had people doing the detail work.

Action Comics

I have a really hard time believing that Ozymandius is intelligent enough to intercept the Phantom Zone projector, which he's presumably never seen before. I know he's smart, but one of the great things about Watchmen was that he was somewhat realistically smart--he had people doing the detail work.
Which issue is that?

fade

Staff member
I may be wrong, then. I'm behind on this stuff, but they called him Mr. Oz, and his personality and MO seemed far more in line with Ozymandius than Dr. Manhattan. If that's the case, that's...actually far worse. (Yeah, I realize Manhattan's last name started with Oz, but it didn't seem like his character).

Last edited:
I may be wrong, then. I'm behind on this stuff, but they called him Mr. Oz, and his personality and MO seemed far more in line with Ozymandius than Dr. Manhattan. If that's the case, that's...actually far worse. (Yeah, I realize Manhattan's last name started with Oz, but it didn't seem like his character).
In that case, just keep reading.

Man do I hate 90s Marvel crossovers. Reading the last volume of Peter David's first run of X-Factor and the first three issues are X-Factor's part of X-cutioner's Song, with summaries around the issues. You couldn't throw in the other parts either because it's a 12-part story--thats longer than the damn book as is.

How is metal? I am thinking of tackling that next.
I love it. Scott Synder writing a big bombastic super-hero book in the style of a heavy metal song. There's a lot of deep cut references that are entirely fun bonuses for long time readers rather than a mandatory reading list. It all holds together by a consistent internal logic that seems utterly bananas outside the pages.

Oh and everything outside the main series is entirely optional. There's been references to them, but not mandatory to the entire narrative like say Superman Beyond (the 2 issue 3d comic that shipped with red blue glasses) was to Final Crisis.

How is metal? I am thinking of tackling that next.
I'm with Covar. One warning though, it doesn't end until March. While the prequel issues and tie-ins are completely optional, The Red Death gives some important background, and the main series is only three issues right now.

Action Comics #990

Jurgens must think Jon Kent's middle name is "Plot Device" because that's all he feels like here. The Last Temptation of Superboy was done better in the Black Dawn arc of the main Superman book.

I really appreciate how DC is handling Dark Nights: Metal tie-ins. No tie-in arcs for every book, just cross-title arcs so no book gets too disrupted and each is a weekly chapter between the bigger event books like the main series or the Batman Lost/Hawkman Found one shots. Makes it possible to actually follow everything without breaking my wallet, and there's no wondering "which tie-in matters, if any?" because it's just that four-parter to follow.

It helps that event itself is imaginative and fun. I hope DC keeps this model in mind for any future events. Marvel should take notes as well.

I really appreciate how DC is handling Dark Nights: Metal tie-ins. No tie-in arcs for every book, just cross-title arcs so no book gets too disrupted and each is a weekly chapter between the bigger event books like the main series or the Batman Lost/Hawkman Found one shots. Makes it possible to actually follow everything without breaking my wallet, and there's no wondering "which tie-in matters, if any?" because it's just that four-parter to follow.

It helps that event itself is imaginative and fun. I hope DC keeps this model in mind for any future events. Marvel should take notes as well.
I've been nothing but happy with how they've been doing events and crossovers since Rebirth, and it gets better. Geoff Johns has said that the only required reading for Doomsday Clock is Watchmen

Past halfway through Morrison's run of New X-Men.

Boy do I dislike Quentin Quite.

Actually, I'm not crazy about the run so far, but at least it's interesting and doing different things. I think I'm just not as much into X-Men as I want to be. X-Factor is my true mutant fix.

Past halfway through Morrison's run of New X-Men.

Boy do I dislike Quentin Quitely.

Actually, I'm not crazy about the run so far, but at least it's interesting and doing different things. I think I'm just not as much into X-Men as I want to be. X-Factor is my true mutant fix.
Fixed...and really? I always liked his work, but to each their own.

Edit:AUGH-thought you meant Frank Quitely-CURSE MY BRAIN! But yeah I remember him being annoying.

Last edited:
Batman:White Knight- This is some DAMN good satire right here.

Bane:Conquest-

Foolish Bane, you can't seem to control-KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Superman-

Lois Lane uses a gun...THE FUCK YOU STANDING AROUND FOR -buy it!

Batman:Devastator-

Honestly the weaker of the origins for the Dark Knights, but still pretty cool.

Justice League: Bats out of hell

Honestly more of a preview for the real fights, but Flash and Red Death's fight is AWESOME looking!

Green Lanterns-

And the SimonJess fans weep!

Batman

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH-that's why their there, yeah that makes sense.

Batman:Devastator-

Honestly the weaker of the origins for the Dark Knights, but still pretty cool.
I think it was weak because the BvS material has been done to death at this point, so much so that Miller's novelty of the two friends fighting has gotten lost and these days it's the moments where they act like friends that stick out.

That said, the writing itself was top-notch. A lot of solid lines and narrative. I like the idea that Lois has some resilience because she absorbs a trace amount of energy given off by Clark.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH-that's why their there, yeah that makes sense.
This was an excellent issue, just hot the ground running. Loved the banter, Dick with Damian, all of it.

Yeah, hell even Justice League Action lampooned the silliness of that fight, sbeen done to death....granted it was a Silver Age inspired Lex Luthor who came up with that plan instead of Bruce so it made sense -BUT STILL!

And ditto, Dick and Damian are the best bros.

Man do I hate 90s Marvel crossovers. Reading the last volume of Peter David's first run of X-Factor and the first three issues are X-Factor's part of X-cutioner's Song, with summaries around the issues. You couldn't throw in the other parts either because it's a 12-part story--thats longer than the damn book as is.
On the other hand, I just bought the big trade of one of my favourite crossovers from my childhood, Rise of the Midnight Sons which saw Ghost Rider and Johnny Blaze teaming with such favourites as Morbius, the Living Vampire, Blade and his crew and the Darkhold Reclaimers to battle Lilith, mother of demons and vampires. So trashy but I adored Dan Ketch Ghost Rider so much and Morbius looked so fucking rad to my child eyes.

On the other hand, I just bought the big trade of one of my favourite crossovers from my childhood, Rise of the Midnight Sons which saw Ghost Rider and Johnny Blaze teaming with such favourites as Morbius, the Living Vampire, Blade and his crew and the Darkhold Reclaimers to battle Lilith, mother of demons and vampires. So trashy but I adored Dan Ketch Ghost Rider so much and Morbius looked so fucking rad to my child eyes.
That's so funny, I actually have a bunch of those from the original run! They weren't my favorite characters, but the art looked so cool and horror-ish to me.

Finished Morrison's New X-Men.

I'm having a hard time finding the words for this, because I feel like I simultaneously liked and disliked the book overall. And I don't mean there were parts I liked and other parts I disliked, but that I feel like I had those conflicting feelings about the same elements. Emotionally I was not enjoying things, but my brain was enriched, if that makes sense. This was not really a superhero book, but very much a science fiction story about the changing genetics of a complex world.

I appreciate that it focused wholly on the mutants. There are maybe two throwaway references to the Avengers or the superhero community at large, but otherwise nothing. Maybe that was in effort to capitalize on the at-the-time recent X-Men movie, but whatever the reason, I think it was the right way to go. I also cannot understate how nice it was to see pre-Civil War Marvel.

Usually I'm more partial to smaller trades, but this was one instance I'm happy I have the omnibus.

Stuff on the last two or three story arcs

The reveal of the traitor in Xavier's school had me cringing because I didn't want any of the existing characters to turn out to be in the wrong. I already figured Esme was against the school when she left, but she had left, so I didn't know who it would be.

And then, BAM! Charles crippled again. At first I went "no, not Xorn, I like Xorn!" Then that helmet comes off, and of fucking course it's Erik. But what a masterful full page panel it is showing it. But then, after that glorious moment, to follow it up by following through with the themes of the book about how if the future means progress, then even the mutants must adhere to it. That Magneto is a has-been and that just because the young mutants don't adhere to Xavier's dream doesn't mean they want Magneto's either. That maybe it's time for both of them to disappear.

The "150 years later" story arc took me by surprise in many ways. I much prefer this apocalyptic future to the one on Old Man Logan. The science fiction elements are more interesting to me, and it has a lot more to say.

Most stories where a finale goes "it was this villain you never heard of all along who was behind everything!" are disappointing and anti-climactic failures to up the ante, but Morrison actually made Sublime work. In general, people don't care about theme, but there's a reason literary scholars harp on it. The germ warfare of the nanotech super sentinels, the idea of Xavier's sister as a new species of immaterial emotional beings, the threat of new species, the idea of natural selection, all of these ideas they sing together through the book so that Sublime as this ancient bacteria that had been keeping the balance of nature in check feels like the appropriate thematic concluding adversary.

I can see now why Marvel got it in their heads to keep relaunching series at #1--they never knew when they'd get a project like this that feels like it'd be appropriate to start with #1. Of course, in Marvel's cancellation frenzy they've made it a challenge for series to have those kinds of runs, but that's another story.

I loved Animal Man, but between reading that and Flex Mentallo this year, and reading a couple things about either The Invisibles or Doom Patrol, I can't remember, I got a little worried he would be a one-trick pony, largely obsessed with the fourth wall between comics and creators. I'm glad that concern was unfounded, and now I'm eager to read more stuff.

I should probably start All-Star Superman. It's been in my to-read pile for four or five months now.