[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

SUPERSONS OF TOMORROW starts off pretty good, ALTHOUGH it also has YET A-FUCKING-NOTHER scene of Beast Boy bitching about Damian...and then doing nothing about it. You're a superhero stupid, you should be brave enough to stand up to your "boss".

Batman Superfriends Pt 2

This was absolutely wonderful and I love the world right now.

Green Lanterns

And the SimonJess shipper in me once again SCREAMS in pain!

METALS NUMBUH FOUR

DAMN YOU SNYDER-release Eel from his silly putty egg cocoon!

Quantum and Woody volume 3 issue 1

Pretty good, pretty good. I STILL think Quantum's costume looks WAY too much like Deadpool's though, like holy crap.[DOUBLEPOST=1513822771,1513822518][/DOUBLEPOST]*LOOKS UP SERIES ONLINE*

Holy SHIT-this series is twenty years old?! I only heard about it like, THIS OR LAST YEAR!

Valiant fell hard after being bought out by Acclaim. The new Valiant is wonderful (great stories, great art, tons of effort put into marketing and building their fan base again, and perhaps the most retailer friendly publisher in comics), but outside of a few passionate die hards, the old company and works were forgotten about by the industry and greater comic fandom.

If you’re interested the original Quantum & Woody was finally collected. It’s written by Christopher Priest with art by Mark Bright.

Batman #37 may be the crown Jewel of Tom King's run. Lois, Clark, Bruce, and Selina go on a double date and everything from panel one is gold.

I'm not sure I can pick a favorite part, but I love one moment when a mugger runs by and snatches Lois's purse, right in front of Bruce and Clark, and Lois and Selina just crack up laughing at this idiot purse-snatcher's unfortunate choice of target.

Or Lois and Selina getting tipsy while Bruce and Clark lament always drinking ginger ale.

Or many more. This issue is just amazing and even though I haven't read anything else I picked up yesterday, I kind of just want to read it again.

Or Selina telling Lois how sweet the proposal was...but was still annoyed he told a loooooooooooooong story about Kiteman before letting her answer.

Or Selina telling Lois how sweet the proposal was...but was still annoyed he told a loooooooooooooong story about Kiteman before letting her answer.
That felt like Tom King going "Yeah, I know what I did ;)". That was probably my biggest laugh besides "The S stands for hope." "The bat represents a bat."

Marvel Two-in-One #1 (aka testing the waters of a Fantastic Four relaunch now that Disney has the movie rights)

I went into this expecting a humor book. Chip Zdarsky is writing, Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm play off each other in a classic way, good times all around.

Well, Zdarsky apparently had something to prove, and instead this is a heartfelt love letter to the Fantastic Four and tells a story about the two who got left behind, thinking the rest of their family is dead. A couple of timely cameos move the story along, and while the gist of this book's launch was that Ben and Johnny would be searching for Sue, Reed, and the kids ...

I assumed the device given to Ben by Dr. Doom would be a way for them to start looking, a sign that the others were alive.

But that's a complete fiction. It's a final message from Reed to Ben in the event of his and Sue's death, that Ben needs to look out for Johnny. Looking for Reed, Sue, and the kids? Ben makes that up as a way to motivate Johnny to follow the spirit of Reed's message. And Doom knows about it.

This is setting up to be really interesting, and while I'm sure somewhere down the road (probably before the end of 2018) this book will be segued into a proper Fantastic Four title, I'm hoping Zdarsky will show enough strength on this title that he'll be the one penning that eventual comic.

Justice League #35

In my opinion, this and the last issue are a good way to do these kinds of super-team comics. Instead of decompressing each story into a trade's worth of stories, have each issue be a story, with an overarcing story being progressed each issue. Not always, of course, but it's something more books should do and it's cool seeing Christopher Priest do it here. So far I'm liking his JL issues. I think it's interesting that he's choosing to focus on the characters he's least familiar with.

Marvel Two-in-One #1 (aka testing the waters of a Fantastic Four relaunch now that Disney has the movie rights)
Really not the case, that issue was written at least 2 months ago, possibly longer. The Disney/Fox deal didn't really get serious until about a month ago.

Really not the case, that issue was written at least 2 months ago, possibly longer. The Disney/Fox deal didn't really get serious until about a month ago.
Right, it was its own thing at inception. Now it's what I said according to Marvel.

Brevoort is trying to act like it was always going to be a Fantastic Four book, but I'm pretty sure he's trying to retcon the reality that seeing an image of the Fantastic Four used to make Perlmutter speak in tongues.

Dark Fang #1 and #2

I feel bad, because I wanted to try giving a new Image Comics release a chance instead of waiting to hear what's good, what's not, buying only trades like usual with Image. This sounded neat, about a vampire on a crusade to save the ocean, so I picked up the first two issues. It's really not good. The art is fine, a similar art style to Gwenpool, but the writing is bland, like a poorly-done exposition paragraph divided between several pages of helpful illustrations. I think some stuff is an attempt at humor, but just comes off as really, really stupid. And honestly I've come to expect more intelligent content from Image.

Injection vol 1 and vol 2

Like this. My wife bought the first two volumes months ago and after dropping her Descender books halfway, I decided to check these out (aka she badgered me to check it out, insisting I would like it--she was right). This series is excellent. Warren Ellis skillfully weaves a strange story with lively characters, and despite the severity of events, there's a dark sense of humor in the interactions of the characters with the world and with each other.

Superman Vol 1-3, by Peter Tomasi & Patrick Gleason

Right, I'll wait until you pick your jaws off the floor first. Yes, I read some Superman Rebirth stuff.

And...I liked it. Superman is acting like Superman again. He's kind. He's considerate. He offers to help first or negotiate before throwing a punch. And I like how he brings his son along to teach him how to use his powers. Basically throwing him into the deep end and guiding him. It's a very Superman way of teaching compared to how Batman might teach a Robin (training, training, training before sending them out there). In fact, I notice how he lets Jonathan do some of the work like telling him to use his heat vision rather than using his own. He's guiding him. I love the family dynamic with Clark, Lois, and Jonathan.

Jonathan/Superboy himself, though, isn't really that interesting. His character is basically "kid." Sometimes we get a little more, but I guess he's just not resonating with me. On the other hand, that I refer to him as Jonathan first and not Superboy means his character might resonate with me more than I realize.

But there's still something I don't like about this. This might be "my" Superman again, but it's not his universe. He's a stranger in this universe since it's not the proper DC Universe (by "proper," I mean the one I grew up on). It's still very much the nu52 universe. And that just doesn't sit well with me. As I said before, I've wanted Lois & Clark to have a child for a very long time. Various writers teased it. And they briefly had an adopted child (Zod's son). But here, it just doesn't feel earned. I can't go back and see the story develop, from the pregnancy announcement to the delivery. Or visiting Smallville to show off their son to Martha Kent (who was alive and well before the reboot). Or raising a baby. Those comics don't exist and I've wanted those comics to exist most of my life. Instead, DC just awkward skipped all that and tossed this Superman into a different universe. None of this feels earned. It feels like a slap-dash way of shoehorning things back to "normal."

I don't regret reading this and I quite enjoyed the stories, but my feelings remain the same as before: none of this feels earned.

I think Superman Reborn would be the next to read, which will address some of your concerns about being a stranger in the universe, with mixed results. Unfortunately they left a lot of that to Jurgens in Action Comics.

If you want to see Jon fleshed out more, check out Super Sons, his book with Damian Wayne. That's my favorite book DC is putting out right now, and is also a Tomasi/Gleason book.

Right my bad that too, Jon and Dick play off Damian's personality in great ways....honestly better than Damian and the Teen Titans. Teen Titans Rebirth ain't BAD mind you but...this team feels weird to me. And why can't Powergirl or Bunker join?!

Right my bad that too, Jon and Dick play off Damian's personality in great ways....honestly better than Damian and the Teen Titans. Teen Titans Rebirth ain't BAD mind you but...this team feels weird to me. And why can't Powergirl or Bunker join?!
Defiance. :p

But yeah, there's a reason I'm not reading Teen Titans. Kinda hoping it gets a writer swap soon. Seeley getting on Green Lanterns has tempted me back to that.

OH YEAH-good for Powergirl!

And true, if I read ONE MORE FREAKING SCENE where Beast Boy complains about Damian but doesn't do anything I'm gonna LOSE IT!

I DID, and I gotz it! Little confused on if this is the timeline, but it still rules.

Action Comics

When BOOSTER GOLD is the mature one ... that's when you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Ragman

Nice little action series that's probably gonna end with Rory joining up with the Bat crew.

Hawk man Found

Spooky, cool!

Larfleeze Christmas special

D'aaaaw.

Demon Hell on Earth

JESUS this comic got hardcore at the end!

Justice League of America

This has been slow building to something AWESOME and I LOVE IT!

Teen Titans

.....uuuuuuuuuugh, this fucking team I swear. I mean, maybe they are MEANT to be a terrible superhero team, like the Legends!

Last edited:
Doomsday Clock #2 was interesting, but it doesn't feel like it takes place with current DC. Maybe Geoff Johns' direction for DC Rebirth was a bit more hopeful than he intended, because this whole Gotham staging anti-Batman protests just doesn't feel current. Even what's going on in Detective Comics right now feels like a separate thing since that's largely Anarky's ploy. Lex Luthor feels like an entirely different Luthor, too, because it doesn't match up with his current character. This feels more like the Watchmen universe touching 90s DC.

It's still well done, and if it was some elseworlds DC it would make more sense, but this is supposed to be where the last few big things of the DC universe were leading, but it's clear we're in some other time period. I think. That or Johns kinda messed up. I don't know. There are ten issues to go, so I don't want to presume too much just yet.

That a perfume called nostalgia is no longer be made was funny to me.

EDIT: Okay, looked into it and apparently this takes place one year from now, so by the time Doomsday Clock #12 is out, the DC Universe will have gotten to this point.

Last edited:
Okay, I have some nitpicking to do.

Why bring the two clowns only to lock them in? Pointless, looking for trouble.

Also, meet back in 24 hours? Rorschach had it easy going to Wayne Manor, they were already in Gotham, but how exactly did Ozy bounce over to LexCorp?

Wouldn't give me a second thought in an ordinary comic, but when stuff gets grounded like with Watchmen, sloppiness and stuff that needs handwaving really sticks out.

Continuity is getting messed up because of an event and it doesn't gel with the other books?

TIME FOR ANOTHER UNIVERSE REBOOT. THAT'LL FIX THINGS FOR SURE THIS TIME!

Continuity is getting messed up because of an event and it doesn't gel with the other books?

TIME FOR ANOTHER UNIVERSE REBOOT. THAT'LL FIX THINGS FOR SURE THIS TIME!
I edited it! :p Nothing is messed up. You think this is a Geoff Johns project or something?

... wait.[DOUBLEPOST=1514476739,1514476453][/DOUBLEPOST]This panel is probably better without context than with.

I edited it! :p Nothing is messed up. You think this is a Geoff Johns project or something?

... wait.[DOUBLEPOST=1514476739,1514476453][/DOUBLEPOST]This panel is probably better without context than with.

CIVIL WAR. No, wait, that's someone else...

But yeah, I saw your edited comment after. Whoops. Still, I'm curious to see how this (Doomsday Clock) messes things up. Because it absolutely will. This event will lean more towards Countdown than 52 in the long run. It'll be a confusing mess by the end, especially whatever event it kicks off. As I said before, the only lasting impression the Watchmen characters will make is future event canon fodder.

On the bright side, unless DC tries bringing Moore's ABC line into the main universe, this is the last work of Moore's that I know that Johns can swipe from.

I'm still not sure this is Prime-Earth, I mean all the TVs in the stores were in black and white. Maybe a Hypertime reality? I dunno, maybe I'm just saying that because I generally want Prime-Earth Lex to stay a good guy.

I'd honestly rather it was just a fun "what if?" elseworlds story than a continuation of Watchmen into the main DC universe. I know Rebirth took off on that premise, but I think it's proven its own strength since then.

That was an odd issue of Batman. I liked seeing Selina quietly settling into her new life in the background more than the actual story, which started off interesting and then spiraled off into Jeff Loeb levels of "what a tweest."

Rogue and Gambit #1 was neat. I think I might just have to give up trying to apply their accents to their dialogue as I read in my head because I just can't seem to lock them down, especially for Gambit. Maybe if I'd watched the cartoon more in the 90s.

Has there ever been a time that Rogue had skin contact with Deadpool? I feel like that might be an untapped plot.

—Patrick