[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

I'm two books down on Lemire's Old Man Logan and getting the feeling that this just isn't for me. I don't like the parallel story of continuing off the original OML while also doing the "old Logan stuck in post-Secret Wars Earth 616." And I'm more a fan of Wolverine being a supporting character than central focus.

I'm gonna read the other two trades, but I'm not holding out hope that I'm going to grow all that fond of the series. I don't think it's bad, but it just feels so off-focus from what I enjoy reading, and I say that with having eclectic taste in comics. Whatever section this falls into, it's not for me.

Hulk #10: I'm ready for either a new approach or a new writer.

Action Comics, Oz Effect part 1

I'm not convinced this is the true identity. Maybe. That said, if it is, it brings interesting questions to light. We know who this was in the past, but time changes a person. Regardless, really good issue.

If Oz IS who he says he is...NEAT! I was not expecting that! Part of me wants to be annoyed, but most of me is just kind of impressed.

Mister Miracle Issue 2

I am confused and amazed, while still enjoying it.

Justice League of America

Ryan Choi reenacts my favorite episode of Futurama talking to an all powerful deity that has tuned people out.

I decided to trade wait on Mr. Miracle because I felt it'd be stronger as one story, but now Tom King is saying it's part of Rebirth as with Doomsday Clock, so I don't know if I'm making the right call.

Superman

You WISHED your spouse gave you a super-taser.

Batman WOJAR

GET READY FOR THE CLIMAX FOLKS!

Green Lanterns

...huh...that...was an okay end. Kinda obvious Humphries is passing the buck here, but I still enjoyed it.

Superman:Speeding Bullets and The Nail

Not sure which of these Elseworld stories I liked more, Speeding Bullets definitely had better dialogue, but The Nail really shows scarier world where changing that one aspect of Superman's story changed the fate of the entire world.

The Nail really shows scarier world where changing that one aspect of Superman's story changed the fate of the entire world.
I still haven't made an opportunity to read the entire thing yet, but I think it clever how the original proverb is about having one nail too few, while the story is about having one nail too many.

--Patrick

Anyone else read the Marvel Legacy one-shot?

I thought it was a mixed bag. You probably could've called it Marvel Previews Guide because the best stuff in it was hinting at upcoming series and story arcs.

A big character returns, but ... Remember how dramatic and emotional Wally West's return was in Rebirth? How that one shot, while being a lot of things, was largely his story?

It's not like that all, more like a parent tossing you a toy that's been taken away as punishment. "Eh, here, you can have this back."

Infinity Stones, etc, and the only thing of consequence is a character died that I'm pretty sure everyone forgot about after Time Runs Out.

Looking forward to Marvel Two-in-One though.

Marvel Previews: creative edition sums it up alright. I wish I could be more excited about this, but it’s just more of the same.

Wally’s return had more impact because he was more than just a missing character. He got to represent everything that was missing in the new 52, which lended a lot more weight to his story, but also what the one shot was trying to say.

I had no idea Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing ran into Crisis on Infinite Earths. At least, I think that's what's going on where I'm at.

And it only doesn't feel intrusive because Moore used the time leading up to it to build a mystery and advance Swamp Thing's own story. If only there were more editors like Karen Berger.

I had no idea Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing ran into Crisis on Infinite Earths. At least, I think that's what's going on where I'm at.

And it only doesn't feel intrusive because Moore used the time leading up to it to build a mystery and advance Swamp Thing's own story. If only there were more editors like Karen Berger.
One of my favorite examples of using a crossover to its advantage is Starman 1 Million. Every other crossover issue was weird and out there. Starman? Mostly a heart-warming talk over coffee, discussing the history and influences of Starman. It strengthened the series theme of legacy and turned into one of the best issues in the whole series.

Batman #32

Well, son of a bitch. I've not been enjoying WOJAR as much as I'd hoped, but Tom King pulled it together at the end.

Every plot problem now rests on the Riddler's shoulders, including his acting out of character. Of course something devised by the Riddler would be needlessly contrived! And the follow through ... even Riddler couldn't have seen THAT coming. Like any joke that works, it sneaks up on you.

As for Selina. Bruce is an idiot. As if any of that would've made her stop loving him. Sheesh.

Where as I freaking loved this series, including EVERYTHING involving Kiteman(including the reveal).

Green Lanterns

Dammit Keith, what are you the brown Silver Age Steve Trevor? JESSICA IS WORTH YOUR ATTENTION! Really though, its just a good human super hero story, which you don't see enough of these days.

Batman: WHITE KNIGHT

I HAD to get this, the premise was too crazy NOT to be awesome. I also like how its not just some EVIL Batman twist, fans of the character would get this version's psychology.

Batman:The Dawnbreaker

Jee-hee-HEEZUS that was grisly!

Bane Conquest

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gotham Resistance:Suicide Squad

Still loving this, but much like "Night of the Monster Men", I am still RATHER irked that we keep jumping titles with each installment rather than just one clear mini-series.

Gotham Resistance:Suicide Squad

Still loving this, but much like "Night of the Monster Men", I am still RATHER irked that we keep jumping titles with each installment rather than just one clear mini-series.
Suicide Squad was last week's, so did you remember to pick up Green Arrow for the Gotham Resistance finale?

I got even luckier with it than last week. Went to the shelf, there were no copies of Green Arrow left. I figured I'd missed it ... but then I went to check out and the girl there handed me my pull list--they'd put Green Arrow in there. The only issue of Gotham Resistance they remembered to pull was the one I would've missed had they not done so.

fade

Staff member
Holy crap, the new Batman series is really good! I'd heard the hype, but I finally got around to reading it. Definitely recommend it if you haven't read it.

As a retailer I much prefer this method. It sells better than a mini would, with a built in audience to market to (down for one or more title? We're going to make sure you're aware of the crossover), and gives a bump to each series it's in which has a small chance of gaining each title new readers. It only eats up one issue from each title so the disruption is minimal. Now if they ever start having every book published have a months long tie in storyline DC can go to hell, but as it is I think they're doing a great job.

fade

Staff member
Jeez, Bruce's letter to Selena, Gotham Girl talking to Gotham, Batman on the plane. This is well-written stuff that's pretty poignant. And then there's Kite Man. Hell yeah.

My guess?

Dr. Manhattan made a duplicate Rorschach after killing the original, except this one wasn't privy to the details surrounding the massacre.

Of course, this begs the question... why did Dr. Manhattan bother to kill Rorschach if he already knew that he'd exposed Veidt already? He has god damn future sight... once the Tachyon machine was deactivated, he would have had knowledge of those events.

I'm thinking its Veidt, who went insane after his plans did NOT go accordingly.

I never thought I'd say this, but I am JAZZED to see a sequel to Watchman not written by Alan Moore!

Still gets a big "NOPE!" from me. Watchmen is fine as a standalone work. There's absolutely no reason to introduce them to the DC Universe and they'll be glorified background fodder for events within five years. Same as what happened to the Milestone and Wildstorm characters except for Static and Midnighter respectively. And Midnighter is redundant when you already have Batman, anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1507426471,1507426303][/DOUBLEPOST]
My guess?

Dr. Manhattan made a duplicate Rorschach after killing the original, except this one wasn't privy to the details surrounding the massacre.

Of course, this begs the question... why did Dr. Manhattan bother to kill Rorschach if he already knew that he'd exposed Veidt already? He has god damn future sight... once the Tachyon machine was deactivated, he would have had knowledge of those events.
I think because Dr. Manhattan isn't omniscent. He can't see everything everywhere all the time. Just from his own point of view throughout time. And even that is muddled and deceptive at times, as he says himself throughout the story. He may have known Veidt's plan doesn't work out in the long run, but he might not have known Rorschach's published journal was the possible cause.

Last edited:
Still gets a big "NOPE!" from me. Watchmen is fine as a standalone work. There's absolutely no reason to introduce them to the DC Universe and they'll be glorified background fodder for events with five years. Same as what happened to the Milestone and Wildstorm characters except for Static and Midnighter respectively. And Midnighter is redundant when you already have Batman, anyway.
Because I feel like making this distinction: each time you say this about it, it's never about taking it away from people who are excited about it, unlike those fucks on Twitter who want others who love Squirrel Girl to not have Squirrel Girl anymore.

Because I feel like making this distinction: each time you say this about it, it's never about taking it away from people who are excited about it, unlike those fucks on Twitter who want others who love Squirrel Girl to not have Squirrel Girl anymore.
Oh, absolutely not. You fellers are excited for it? All power to you. I don't think I've crapped on anyone for being excited for this or enjoying Rebirth or anything. Been plenty vocal about not liking it myself, but I can't exactly judge tastes while a copy of The Punisher Meets Archie is proudly displayed on my wall. :p

Is that Havok up top? Either way I am DOWN for any team featuring Plasticman.

GREEN ARROW:GOTHAM RESISTANCE

The team of Green Arrow, Nightwing, Robin, Killer Croc, AND Harley Quinn...are vastly more interesting than the current Teen Titans as a team in all honesty. Also, why is it Robin only mentions how much he cares his friends during MEGA crises? Don't be such a Sarah Clinton for god's sake you freaking Tsundere!

Metals Number 3

Okay so-
-Nightmaster is dead, that's a given...BUT WHAT ABOUT BOBO?!

Superman: The Oz Effect part 3

Shit continues to go down...not much more I can say about that, lots of shit is just going down.

Ragman:

...WELL-one artist clearly wishes they were working on either Venom or Ghost Rider! Also, when it doubt with reboots-USE THE IRAQ WAR!

Justice League of America:

END OF FLASHBACK-back to the action!

Mister Miracle:

A reminder to all to never-EVER-read this on LSD. Its a trip.

Metal #3

Now we have the basic shape of the Flash, Hal Jordan, and Justice League tie-ins. I guess Batman Lost will serve as the Metal issue for November.

I'm wondering if they plan to announce more tie-ins for 2018, since this event goes into February. I know Snyder said the tie-ins aren't essential, but seeing just how much Gotham Resistance and The Red Death fleshed out the story and world, that statement feels inaccurate.

There is one more that was announced at NYCC. I forget what it was, but they said it's to give Capullo more time on the book (he got sick and was out of commission for a little bit).

[EDIT] Found it
Dark Knight Rising: The Wild Hunt.