[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

The Flash #24

Eobard Thawne is such a viscious bastard, but he's really elevated this comic in the last few issues. This one felt like the penultimate issue for an arc, when really it's the last issue before Thawne's arc begins in earnest. Not only makes his pages gripping, but seeing what a mess he's put Barry in really does it.

I also like that the last thing Thawne remembers is Flashpoint. From his POV, all the old continuity is the absolute truth, and everything since Flashpoint is still just more of Barry's mistakes.

Mickey Mouse Mystery Magazine(Through a download, like I can find English prints)

Disney Schmuck: Hey, what's that?

Disney Italy: Its a Mickey Mouse comic that has an ACTUALLY interesting mystery, and changes up the status quo!

Disney Schmuck: SHUT IT THE FUCK DOWN!

Seriously I won't deny the old Mouseton comics have their charm, but unlike Donald and Scrooge Mickey's world wasn't really allowed to evolve much, mostly due to Disney's insistence on him staying pure and innocent. Hell, Epic Mickey is even a damn SATIRE of his lack of development, any passion he had dissected and transplanted into Donald Duck.

Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius, Ultimate Edition Volume 1

I love this comic so much. It's like Calvin & Hobbes if Calvin was Franklin Richards and Hobbes was his robot babysitter. Chris Eliopoulos said he was inspired by his own kids always playing with all his stuff, and then imagined what it'd be like if that kind of kid's father was Reed frigging Richards.

Then, I wondered if, since this is Volume 1, then does a Volume 2 exist? I used to own two digest editions of this comic, but I thought that's all there was. So I googled it and yes, there is a Volume 2.

...which is now out of print. :(

Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius, Ultimate Edition Volume 1

I love this comic so much. It's like Calvin & Hobbes if Calvin was Franklin Richards and Hobbes was his robot babysitter. Chris Eliopoulos said he was inspired by his own kids always playing with all his stuff, and then imagined what it'd be like if that kind of kid's father was Reed frigging Richards.

Then, I wondered if, since this is Volume 1, then does a Volume 2 exist? I used to own two digest editions of this comic, but I thought that's all there was. So I googled it and yes, there is a Volume 2.

...which is now out of print. :(
'Slike 18 bucks on Amazon.ca man.

Honestly? I just suck it up and hope it gets reprinted in the future. Because usually, out of print books are STUPIDLY expensive to get. Case in point: Kurt Busiek's Avengers run.
Right, but they're less expensive when they're used. That's how we get them.

Also, hoping it gets reprinted is only sucking it up if that's the choice you find more detestable. If buying a used book would be more detestable, then doing that would be sucking it up :p.[DOUBLEPOST=1497844605,1497844266][/DOUBLEPOST]Collecting all of Busiek's Avengers used in omnibus format would be $191. Collecting it all used in paperback would be $84.

Forget I said anything. I'm being weird about this, I guess.
I guess it's weird to me because I thought (and maybe I'm remembering wrong) you've sold some of your trades to a store before, and if so, they likely didn't hold onto those but later sold them to others, which would make that store a used secondhand seller. So unless you thought your books were unfit for human contact, you've been on the other side of that and whoever eventually owned your copies had it go fine.

I'm just saying, used books aren't the devil or whatever is the Canadian equivalent of the devil.

Well, there's buying used in person, and there's buying used via the internet, site unseen. The latter gives me pause, often, as well.
I just figure in the case of OOP books, when it's a choice between "I cannot have it" and "I can have it, but I'm not sure how it'll be," I'd rather try to have it, especially if the price is right.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just figure in the case of OOP books, when it's a choice between "I cannot have it" and "I can have it, but I'm not sure how it'll be," I'd rather try to have it, especially if the price is right.
I remember one time, waaay back in the day, I ordered a complete VHS box sex of Cowboy Bebop off Ebay. What I got were homemade VHS copies, albeit with almost-convincing black and white labels and artwork on them. By the time I got them and figured out what had happened, the seller was gone.

And that's part of why I pirate all my media! :awesome:

I'd offer to help Nick look, as IPtorrents has a pretty extensive comic section, but I'm not practiced at tracking down specific runs of comics. I had an inordinate amount of trouble locating even Blackest Night back when I wanted to read it, though when I did, it was well seeded (I just wasn't searching right). At any rate, Nick already has an IPtorrents account, I know cause I got him the invite :p

I remember one time, waaay back in the day, I ordered a complete VHS box sex of Cowboy Bebop off Ebay. What I got were homemade VHS copies, albeit with almost-convincing black and white labels and artwork on them. By the time I got them and figured out what had happened, the seller was gone.

And that's part of why I pirate all my media! :awesome:

I'd offer to help Nick look, as IPtorrents has a pretty extensive comic section, but I'm not practiced at tracking down specific runs of comics. I had an inordinate amount of trouble locating even Blackest Night back when I wanted to read it, though when I did, it was well seeded (I just wasn't searching right). At any rate, Nick already has an IPtorrents account, I know cause I got him the invite :p
I have scores of comics downloaded, including the above mentioned Buisek Avengers run. But I still prefer print.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have scores of comics downloaded, including the above mentioned Buisek Avengers run. But I still prefer print.
Ok, NOW I understand why you're super picky about the condition of your used comics. With the urgency of "not being able to read them" out of the picture, it's only natural that, if you are going to get yourself a physical copy, you want to take your time and be choosy, so that you get your money's worth as far as condition and such goes.

Ok, NOW I understand why you're super picky about the condition of your used comics. With the urgency of "not being able to read them" out of the picture, it's only natural that, if you are going to get yourself a physical copy, you want to take your time and be choosy, so that you get your money's worth as far as condition and such goes.
Yeah, that I understand more.

I'd still say one can ask or look at product descriptions. I've gotten probably around three dozen trades used over time and aside from an overstock mark, I've only had one in poor condition, and that was a Christmas present so I can't even take the blame for it :p.

Yeah I'll admit its a risky move, SOMETIMES you get one in pretty good condition-OTHER TIMES-the jack-ass sells you an Essential Spider-man TPB WITHOUT GLUING THE FUCKING COVER BACK PROPERLY! EITHER WAY-safest form of gambling THIS ONE knows of! Either that or getting more Rupees in Zelda.

Yeah I'll admit its a risky move, SOMETIMES you get one in pretty good condition-OTHER TIMES-the jack-ass sells you an Essential Spider-man TPB WITHOUT GLUING THE FUCKING COVER BACK PROPERLY! EITHER WAY-safest form of gambling THIS ONE knows of! Either that or getting more Rupees in Zelda.
Right, eBay can get you your money back with almost no hassle if the item is not as described. I'm sure Amazon does too within reasonable time. We would've returned the Christmas gift except I didn't take it out of the plastic case to read it until three months later, at which point I saw the back of the hardcover had a tear along the spine.

But then I can mention so many other instances where I got a decent book, hell, often a superb copy. I got Peter David's Hulk vol 6 and saw the previous owner had kept it in beautiful condition, maybe never even read it. I kinda felt bad that after years of pristine conditions, I'd bought it not for shelf life but to paw through it cover to cover.

Mickey Mouse Mystery Magazine(Through a download, like I can find English prints)

Disney Schmuck: Hey, what's that?

Disney Italy: Its a Mickey Mouse comic that has an ACTUALLY interesting mystery, and changes up the status quo!

Disney Schmuck: SHUT IT THE FUCK DOWN!

Seriously I won't deny the old Mouseton comics have their charm, but unlike Donald and Scrooge Mickey's world wasn't really allowed to evolve much, mostly due to Disney's insistence on him staying pure and innocent. Hell, Epic Mickey is even a damn SATIRE of his lack of development, any passion he had dissected and transplanted into Donald Duck.
It's funny to read how the Mickey Mystery comics are seen as a change in the status quo. I wonder what will happen when people see the 27 year old comic this picture comes from:

Batman begins The War of Jokes and Riddles. Super-size Aquaman without a price jump. New Super Sons with guests Alfred and Mama Lois. And Lobo/Roadrunner crossover.

I can't wait to get to the store after work. :D

To be fair, it's a dream. More or less.
The story is called "I married a witch" a parody of a 1942 movie with the same title ( and "Bewitched" and possible every other Story with a similar theme) but a little more kid friendly.

After a heated argument with Minnie, Mickey goes on a trip and meets a young woman called Samantha he falls in love with. After some dates he asks her father for her hand in marriage but he is not so happy and reveals that he and his daughter are witches who fled their time to life in the future. He tells them a marriage would only lead to unhappiness but they have non of that and get married. Soon enough problems starts rising since Samantha can't stop using her magic for everything, making Mickeys life not easy. In the end the people in Mouseton protesting in front of their house. Sad about the turnout Sam wants to make all the people disappear. At that point her father reveals he used magic to show them how their life will turn out. Mickey and Samantha realize that they are too different and have to go separate ways.

The story was only released 1990 in Italy and since it's set in the regular continuity, not in a "fantasy" story with Mickey "playing" a character, that imply that a little more happened than just flirting, I doubt it will be released again. But who knows. The story itself is probably a lot more mature than other Mickey Mouse stories, especially with the bittersweet ending but it still ends with the status quo intact.

I found the whole comic online a few days ago and I had to rely on google translate, so if something I wrote about the story is wrong, I blame google.

Damn that's depressing, figures the one time Mick gets married it's in a dream.

Super Sons 5

Just let him join the damn TITANS dammit, that Teen rule gets dumber every time I hear it.

Superman 25

Oh....oh dear lord that ending was glorious.

Batman 25

Yeah yeah, brilliant start to a war between two of Bats' greatest foes-DID SHE SAY YES OR NOT?

Harley Quinn 22

Not bad, felt I should've read more preceding issues, but not bad.

Wonder Woman Tasmanian Devil/Lobo Roadrunner

DAMMIT -these are fun. Really wish they'd make sequels to these some day.

DARK DAYS-The Forge

Me before reading:WELP, after accidentally reading the ending online, I'm sure I'll simply enjoy this and freak out about nothing.

Me after reading :....oh my fucking god-
PLASTICMAN! That frozen egg is CLEARLY Plastic man!FUCK YEAH!

Last edited:
DARK DAYS-The Forge

Me before reading:WELP, after accidentally reading the ending online, I'm sure I'll simply enjoy this and freak out about nothing.

Me after reading :....oh my fucking god-
PLASTICMAN! That frozen egg is CLEARLY Plastic man!FUCK YEAH!
I thought it was part of

The Anti-Monitor's machine.

I'll have to read the rest of your post after I get through some of mine tonight and tomorrow.

This was such a week of winners. I realized I'm excited about everything I picked up and thought "Wish I could feel like this every comic I get." And then I think @DarkAudit might've been onto more than I thought last week, because while I wouldn't ditch my Marvel mainstays Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl, I'm really not feeling these Spider books. Didn't even feel like reading them. I'm hoping Zdarsky has something special in store with Spectacular, but these others? I'm dropping.

I thought it was part of

The Anti-Monitor's machine.
NOPE-
-Plastic man popsicle! One they refer to it as a "he" ,2 he's got the color scheme, and 3 Mr.Terrific's line about it being about time for him get out is MOST likely a reference to the character being needlessly shelved because fuck the New 52.

NOPE-
-Plastic man popsicle! One they refer to it as a "he" ,2 he's got the color scheme, and 3 Mr.Terrific's line about it being about time for him get out is MOST likely a reference to the character being needlessly shelved because fuck the New 52.
It's so funny to me that this is going to be DC Rebirth vs the New 52 as if that was a separate universe all along. DC really wants to prove they're past that.

About to read the first volume of Motor Crush, the latest Image title from the writer/artist team behind Batgirl's reboot.

Creative team and me in spoiler

Lobo/Roadrunner

I was actually a little disappointed with this at first. There are some funny gags and the final panel is a pretty funny zinger, and I even liked the Looney Tunes origin story, but there was way too much setup and the artist seemed to be struggling to make Wile E. Coyote expressive.

The short backup story more than made up for it though. This is exactly what I wanted and it was hilarious. They should've drawn the whole issue in Looney Tunes style.

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-man

This was a breath of fresh air. It felt less like the Spider-man of recent years and more like Squirrel Girl's Spider-man. A lot of energy in the writing, mouthy Spidey, really funny. Zdarsky seems to have a good handle on this.

Now, let's see how Reddit f--of course they hate it. And on that note ...

Batman #25: The War of Jokes and Riddles, part 1

Reddit: This is pretty good DID HE CALL HER CAT WARGGLBLARGHLE

Anyway. Brilliant issue. The Joker had depression in Batman's year two. Has this been done before? It feels like something that should've been done before. When he finally laughs again, it's going to be a hell of a scene, I'm sure. Excellent art, too. The way Joker is drawn ... hell, the way Selina is drawn and the way she looks at Bruce outside of the flashback story. Really just loved this issue. I've been looking forward to this arc and the beginning does not disappoint.[DOUBLEPOST=1498180129,1498179987][/DOUBLEPOST]
Batman 25

Yeah yeah, brilliant start to a war between two of Bats' greatest foes-DID SHE SAY YES OR NOT?
I think she did. I don't think Bruce asked her, she didn't answer, then they went back to Wayne Manor and made love while he was still waiting on an answer. I think she said yes, they went back, and now they're in bed and he's telling her this story because she should know. But we won't know until October, so dammit.

They didn't?
Aww...

--Patrick
I didn't think I'd mind until I saw the artist struggling with Coyote's expressions. I knew what he was trying to ape from the cartoons, but it wasn't coming across right in the style used mainly throughout. They also let him talk after a certain point, which was ... eh? Yet later he was using the picket signs to speak in outer space and that was much funnier than just giving him dialogue balloons.

The Invisibles

Or, the first two issues of it, anyway. This is actually my second time trying to read this damn comic. But it's like a constant psychedelic trip and characters going on long, nonsensical rants. I can't get into it at all and I don't understand why it's so highly praised.