[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Greatest origin story of ALL time, and I mean that sincerely.

Wonder Woman Rebirth Volume 1

DAMN-that was good, can't wait to read more.

Wonder Woman Earth-1 by Grant Morrison

Not the best Wonder Woman story I've read, but its still damn good, as well as a send-up to all the whacky sci-fi, truth and love, and LOTS of bondage! But unlike in the 40s, Grant doesn't HAVE to be subtle about it!

Batman 24:Every Epilogue is a Prologue(most honest DC title of ALL time)

...you son of a bitch Tom King, HOW DARE YOU TEASE ME!

Green Lanterns 24:

Basic flow issue, still good but not so much a stand a lone.

Superman 24:

Okay let's see here, shit has all ready gone down, hit the fan, what phrase is there to describe Superboy going nuts?

Batman 24:Every Epilogue is a Prologue(most honest DC title of ALL time)

...you son of a bitch Tom King, HOW DARE YOU TEASE ME!
I didn't shout when I got to the last page, because it's past midnight, but I did make a long noise from my throat.

And that is where we leave Batman, because The War of Jokes and Riddles will be an eight-part story that takes place around Zero Year. So we DON'T FRIGGIN KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT UNTIL OCTOBER. I'm psyched for this next arc, but fuuuuck.

Still, got my heart pounding. As has been the case for the past year, Tom King is so good with getting Batman.

The whole fear of happiness. I know Lego Batman also touched on this in a silly way, but it's a genuine problem for Bruce. Bruce, bats ain't your biggest fear, it's enjoying your life again after your parents were murdered.
Then when talking to Claire about all he's been through and among the list, a one-word sentence: Him. And we all know who he's referring to.

I really enjoy Bruce + Claire talks. Batman #6 last year was a standout issue and this is no different, even before those last couple pages.

Last edited:
October, really? ON THAT ENDING?! Also I thought it was right after 24, but okay.

ON the plus side I hear issue 27 might focus on Kite-man!

And agreed on Claire, REALLY hope they find a way for her to use her powers without them killing her.

October, really? ON THAT ENDING?! Also I thought it was right after 24, but okay.

ON the plus side I hear issue 27 might focus on Kite-man!

And agreed on Claire, REALLY hope they find a way for her to use her powers without them killing her.
Only if Kite-man is involved in the Joker/Riddler turf war.

#25 does continue from here, but according to an interview with Tom King, it's essentially

Batman will say something like, "Before you answer, you need to know about me at my worst." And then we head into the eight-month flashback.

So we won't possibly get an idea until Batman #33 or 34. Even then, it might not be resolved, but I have a feeling we'll find out around then as it'd be dickish to hold off any longer after four months. I mean, maybe we'll know at the end of July when the October solicits come out, but I barely read the Batman ones because I don't want to know in advance. So far this run has just done so much for me as a Batman fan, focusing on Bruce's compassion and vulnerability, while still showing his strength. I think many writers revel in how cool Batman is and forget that under the cowl, there's a human being.

All I know is its a minor villain, dealing with all the crazy bullcrap the big boys do.

And the more I read about DC's...release schedules...the more I wander if they traded the part of their brains that make reasonable release dates for good comics. I mean come the fuck on-WHY ISN'T SUPERSONS WEEKLY!? THE COVERS HAVE BEEN SPAMMED ON TUMBLR FOR MONTHS!

All I know is its a minor villain, dealing with all the crazy bullcrap the big boys do.

And the more I read about DC's...release schedules...the more I wander if they traded the part of their brains that make reasonable release dates for good comics. I mean come the fuck on-WHY ISN'T SUPERSONS WEEKLY!? THE COVERS HAVE BEEN SPAMMED ON TUMBLR FOR MONTHS!
You want it to come out four times a month? Pretty sure the quality would drop a bit then.

I don't think they had faith in its sales numbers supporting a more frequent release schedule.

The whole fear of happiness. I know Lego Batman also touched on this in a silly way, but it's a genuine problem for Bruce. Bruce, bats ain't your biggest fear, it's enjoying your life again after your parents were murdered.
Then when talking to Claire about all he's been through and among the list, a one-word sentence: Him. And we all know who he's referring to.
I'm still amazed Lego Batman seemed to understand this better than most publications or adaptions. Yes, it's taken on meme status ("MY PARENTS ARE DEAD!"), but most people focus on how it drives him, but they ignore how it also holds him back.

Daredevil Vol. 1 (Charles Soule & Ron Garney)

It's...okay.

Thing is, I became a big Daredevil fan over the years, starting with Kevin Smith's story arc. Then I caught up on Frank Miller's run, then got hooked on Bendis, Brubaker, Waid. And from Bendis to Waid, it was like this non-stop epic story with ramifications around Matt Murdock's identity being exposed to the public. In a lot of ways, I felt the last issue of Waid's run perfectly wrapped everything up in that long run of creative teams. Well over a decade, amazingly. There was only one hiccup in the whole thing - Shadowland - but it wasn't enough to ruin an amazing run with amazing teams.

So this, where someone hit the reset button and Matt's back in New York and no one knows his secret identity? Blech. It feels like they're washing away all the great stuff that came before.

On the one hand, there's some things to like here. I like Daredevil's new sidekick/apprentice, Blindspot. He became more interesting as the book progressed. Ron Garney and the rest of the art team have this almost Sin City like vibe in the style and colouring. It's definitely unlike anything that's been done in Daredevil before.

On the other hand, it's Matt the lawyer versus a new untouchable crime lord. And it's tied in with The Hand. And some of the writing is atrociously cliche. There were times I'd curl my lip in disgust and say, "Really? REALLY? You're going to use that line?"

So yeah, it's...okay. I don't think I'll bother continuing on with it. As I said, Waid's run wrapped up everything almost too well. It was a good jumping-off point for me.

I know low sales can take a twice-a-month to a monthly (Aquaman), but we haven't seen high sales do the opposite. I wonder if it would happen.
It's a sound strategy, but there's to many factors to guess what the numbers would have to be. Issue 3 sold a little bit over 40k. Assuming it's a success and starts to stabilize it will could settle in around 35k (spitballing this number, I don't want to do the math to get something more accurate). When you figure that even with a $1 price drop there will still be a drop to sales bi-monthly we could be looking at Deathstroke level numbers (~23k an issue), or a 30% increase in revenue per month.

What are you talking about?
SuperSons. I'm just saying, it looks like a 6 issue mini-series right labeled as an on-going, plus it takes place during random times in DC canon, and then you go that Revenge Story that takes place BEFORE Black Dawn, and its just an awkward reading order.

SuperSons. I'm just saying, it looks like a 6 issue mini-series right labeled as an on-going, plus it takes place during random times in DC canon, and then you go that Revenge Story that takes place BEFORE Black Dawn, and its just an awkward reading order.
Can you note in the post next time you headcanon real life?

I ain't headcanoneering anything, I'm just saying its weird seeing the events take place out of order due to release schedules. Although I DO feel Supersons ain't gonna last more than six issues, DUE to said idiotic release schedule.

I ain't headcanoneering anything, I'm just saying its weird seeing the events take place out of order due to release schedules.
It's on a monthly release schedule. It's not uncommon for one title's arc to not fit time-wise with another title. February Batman took place after the March Superman Reborn crossover, for example. Having covers finished is not the same as having a book's entire interior completed. If they were going to release them in short order, they might as well just do an OGN instead, so there's little incentive to just shove everything out the door.

Although I DO feel Supersons ain't gonna last more than six issues, DUE to said idiotic release schedule.
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/super-sons-2017/super-sons-7

Finished re-reading Secret Wars, except now instead of online, it was in the sweet hardcover .

And more importantly, instead of having zero context, over the past year I've read Hickman's run of Fantastic Four, and then the whole Avengers/New Avengers saga. While Avengers was quite a journey, it feels like the Fantastic Four run was much more important. Secret Wars was already captivating on its own, but seeing this six or so years of story that it is the conclusion to just made it so much better. The ending is just beautiful.

And as was theorized on ComicPop, perhaps Secret Wars is part of the trouble of Marvel's sales slump. All-New, All Different started kinda nonsensical, with a lot of gaps needing to later be filled but without the organization of DC's One Year Later, or a series as good as 52 to fill that in. The cancellation/relaunch of all those other series without a clear direction for the relaunch probably didn't help. And then for those who had been reading, Secret Wars ended on such a positive note that the dourness that followed probably felt disappointing. It's hard to imagine a story would be this big yet intelligent and good in a long time, and really post-Secret Wars should've been Marvel's time to give the events a rest, rather than post-Secret Empire.

But for whatever its consequences, I really love the hell out of this big story and I appreciate that Hickman took the Marvel universe and wrote something this good with it. Now I gotta get caught up on his magnificent Image series, East of West.

My wife's read-through of Hickman's Marvel is currently at the start of Infinity, but she's been going at a faster pace than I did. I've had to feed her tidbits of info, seemingly unrelated, so she can have certain context when she reaches crucial points, like Molecule Man or the Beyonders. Mentioning the Maker was funny.

"In the Ultimates universe, Reed Richards is evil."
"What do you mean in the Ultimates universe?"
" ... on purpose."
"Oh, okay."

Oh my dear wife, you Doctor Doom groupie.

I've been reading a buncha stuff lately.

Superman Doomsday

Collecting Hunter/Prey, Doomsday Annual #1, and The Doomsday Wars. And for the most part, this stuff holds up. Hunter/Prey is particularly epic, though a bit dated. When a Mother Box gifts Superman with a battle outfit, it's all straps and pouches. I laughed and said, "Oh shit, he's outfitted with NINETIES. Now he's ready!"

Tiny Titans

I love pretty much anything Art Balthazar does. I especially loved his Superman Family Adventures book. And this was more of the same: adorable stories using DC characters. And lots of silly, childish jokes. Just my cup of tea.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder

Your wife can rest easy, @Zero Esc. This stuff is good. I'm not as crazy about the art as I was in Aaron's previous Thor book, but it's not bad. My only real issue is they have to really push how AWESOME this new Thor is. Like people saying stuff like she's better with the hammer than Odinson. It's a little grating, but that's honestly typical of a character taking the mantle from someone else. It was like that with Wally West, Kyle Rayner, etc. Just par for the course with a new character like this.

Dr. Strange

Speaking of Jason Aaron, holy shit, this guy's becoming my favourite writer. His Dr. Strange is a lot of fun. Like his Thor run, it's the kind of stories I'd always wanted from a Dr. Strange book. I'll definitely get more volumes in the future. Now I really want to read his Vertigo series, Scalped. I think I read the first story some time ago. I'd planned on getting more but never got around to it. Fortunately, it's getting the Deluxe Edition treatment in hardcover right now, so I'll wait for the inevitable softcovers.

Thunderbolts (Warren Ellis, Mike Dedato)

I'd always heard this run was good and man, everyone who said that was right. Throw a bunch of completely unhinged supervillains together and watch them tear each other apart. And it includes probably the BEST character issue ever for Norman Osborne. If this isn't out of print, I'll definitely buy this at some point.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder

Your wife can rest easy, @Zero Esc. This stuff is good. I'm not as crazy about the art as I was in Aaron's previous Thor book, but it's not bad. My only real issue is they have to really push how AWESOME this new Thor is. Like people saying stuff like she's better with the hammer than Odinson. It's a little grating, but that's honestly typical of a character taking the mantle from someone else. It was like that with Wally West, Kyle Rayner, etc. Just par for the course with a new character like this.

Thunderbolts (Warren Ellis, Mike Dedato)

I'd always heard this run was good and man, everyone who said that was right. Throw a bunch of completely unhinged supervillains together and watch them tear each other apart. And it includes probably the BEST character issue ever for Norman Osborne. If this isn't out of print, I'll definitely buy this at some point.
Good to hear; I'm still in the Malekith arc, so haven't reached Lady Thor yet myself. I'll let my wife know. She and I didn't really care for Aaron's first couple arcs of Doctor Strange, so I think it made her apprehensive about continuing past Odinson's time.

Didn't know Ellis had done any Thunderbolts. I'll have to check that out on Unlimited at some point, among the dozen other series I have bookmarked :p.

Good to hear; I'm still in the Malekith arc, so haven't reached Lady Thor yet myself. I'll let my wife know. She and I didn't really care for Aaron's first couple arcs of Doctor Strange, so I think it made her apprehensive about continuing past Odinson's time.

Didn't know Ellis had done any Thunderbolts. I'll have to check that out on Unlimited at some point, among the dozen other series I have bookmarked :p.
Yeah, it's weird. I usually HATE Bachelo's art, but it's really suitable for the weirdness in Dr Strange.

And just FYI, Ellis' Thunderbolts takes place after Civil War. The team is created to hunt down unregistered heroes. You know, if they can stop trying to kill each other.

And just FYI, Ellis' Thunderbolts takes place after Civil War. The team is created to hunt down unregistered heroes. You know, if they can stop trying to kill each other.
Just after Civil War or after Secret Invasion? Because I can stand the former, but if they're working for HAMMER and have the Venom that eats people, I might pass.

Just after Civil War or after Secret Invasion? Because I can stand the former, but if they're working for HAMMER and have the Venom that eats people, I might pass.
Civil War. Though this features a people-eating Venom, too. I think post-Secret Invasion is Dark Avengers.

Been rereading Berserk.

Got through the first 8 volumes. Man, some of the splash pages are just mind bogglingly beautiful.

I read the Forge. I still have no idea what the story is going to be about, but I enjoyed the issue. Lots of fun teases and touches by Snyder.
I've seen some ideas floating online, but I don't know how they're going to be applied to a story. Haven't read the issue myself, but it was one of the things my wife grabbed.

She grabbed the foil cover, which I think is hilarious :D. I haven't held one of these since 1994.

I read the Forge. I still have no idea what the story is going to be about, but I enjoyed the issue. Lots of fun teases and touches by Snyder.
Okay, so now that I've read it, I know I'll probably need to read it again after The Casting just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

From what it shows, it's essentially drawing a question of "hey, how come so many ores and metals do magical shit in the DC universe?" So it doesn't need much setup besides pre-existing lore, which I like.

From Mr. Terrific, we know something's up with these metals not just in the core DC universe, but at least one other Earth in the multiverse, but probably all of them.

Solicits were thankfully misleading. They made it seem like Batman was up to some sinister secret, when really he's trying to solve what may be a sinister mystery.

Well, besides keeping a Joker in storage, but it might be a Joker from another universe, like the artifacts in the same secret storage.

Okay, so now that I've read it, I know I'll probably need to read it again after The Casting just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

From what it shows, it's essentially drawing a question of "hey, how come so many ores and metals do magical shit in the DC universe?" So it doesn't need much setup besides pre-existing lore, which I like.

From Mr. Terrific, we know something's up with these metals not just in the core DC universe, but at least one other Earth in the multiverse, but probably all of them.

Solicits were thankfully misleading. They made it seem like Batman was up to some sinister secret, when really he's trying to solve what may be a sinister mystery.

Well, besides keeping a Joker in storage, but it might be a Joker from another universe, like the artifacts in the same secret storage.
Yeah it very much still feels like it belongs in Rebirth. I loved his line to Superman about it.

Some of my favorite things shown, in no particular order
  • Lunar Batcave - The Moon
  • "The only way out is through the volcano"
  • Batman and the Outsiders
  • Mr Terrific, the third returning JSA member
  • Plastic Man