[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Can't wait to pick up Batman today. From an in-story perspective, not sure what Kite-Man's origin story has to do with this confession to Selina. But from a reader perspective--Kite-Man! Hell yeah! :D

Super Sons 6

TIME COMMANDER-fuck yeah! I also like the recurring theme in DC comics as a whole in having several old obscure villains being bitter about being forgotten.

Super Sons 6

TIME COMMANDER-fuck yeah! I also like the recurring theme in DC comics as a whole in having several old obscure villains being bitter about being forgotten.
Same here. Especially with Batman.

Last page of Super Sons was hilarious. And it wouldn't have worked except that it happened to Damian Wayne. Really solid issue?

And what else is really funny? Zdarsky's Spider-man book. #2 is even better than #1. The cafe scene's escalating chaos--this is going to be like Squirrel Girl where I can't read it on the bus because I'll end up laughing in the back like a freak.

I think I'm done with Ms. Marvel. There was a beautiful moment in April's issue, but Wilson just has no momentum anymore, it feels. The charm is absent. Kamala is coming off better in someone else's book--not a good sign. I really hope Wilson finds something she wants to do. I'm sure doing a Trump's America microcosm in Jersey City is cathartic from a writer's standpoint, but it's miserable to read.

Superman 27

It's a 4th of July special folks, be prepared for sap. Also this artist draws faces weird at times. Honestly nor a bad road trip issue....but I really wanted some punching,I'M JUST A MAN!

Green Lanterns 27

GOIN' BACK IN TIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Superman 27

It's a 4th of July special folks, be prepared for sap. Also this artist draws faces weird at times. Honestly nor a bad road trip issue....but I really wanted some punching,I'M JUST A MAN!
Pretty sure the punching will happen between issues. We've had enough of that lately. These downtime issues are my favorites for Superman. I wish there were more of them since Action Comics seems to be tackling the epic side of Supes.

Now, if you want some action--Aquaman #26 was ferocious this week. Mera is ready to kill some motherfuckers. I'm hoping Abnett lets this story arc for a little bit; two issues in and this is already my favorite Aquaman arc. I'm usually not one to hone in on an artist, but the new guy is killing it.

Zappit

Staff member
Just read the latest issue of Invincible - only a few more until the series wraps up. It's been pretty brutal.

Thragg conquered Oliver's old Homeworld and bred a new army of lesser-powered Viltrumites, and is hellbent on rebuilding the empire. He killed Battle Beast in an absolutely vicious fight, and is wearing his belt as a trophy.

Oliver acted as a double agent to track Thragg, but was killed when he fought to protect Mark. That brought Mark and Omni-Man's Earth Viltrumites into the war. The fight is currently taking place in Earth's orbit. Thragg just killed Omni-Man tearing him in half diagonally. It's looking like Kirkman's going to kill off the majority of the cast to finish it.

Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?

@ThatNickGuy you were wicked right about that opening paragraph. GRANTED-I knew the ending the moment I read the name Jonathan, but it was still a damn good Else world story.

The trade I got also had "For the man who has everything",VERY good, but if I'm honest the DCAU version was kinda better in my opinion.

@ThatNickGuy you were wicked right about that opening paragraph. GRANTED-I knew the ending the moment I read the name Jonathan, but it was still a damn good Else world story.

The trade I got also had "For the man who has everything",VERY good, but if I'm honest the DCAU version was kinda better in my opinion.
I don't remember ever saying anything about the opening paragraph. And I'm kinda with you with the DCAU version. Wonder Woman gets a better treatment in it, for one.

I don't remember ever saying anything about the opening paragraph. And I'm kinda with you with the DCAU version. Wonder Woman gets a better treatment in it, for one.
Covar said it in the Random Comic thread, not Nick.

Whatever happens to the man of tomorrow is so strange with how it's an homage and parody of the silver age at the same time.

I agree with you @Yoshimickster, I think I also prefer the animated For the man who has everything. Dana Delaney probably helps with that. Him being a farmer married to Loana is great, Mongul just completely misunderstanding Superman's character, and the clever use of Pa Kents voice actor at the end.

Action Comics

Oh crap-
-a Lor-Zod that's LOYAL to Zod? House of El is in troubllllllle.

Justice League of America

DAMMIT XENOS- seal the deal all ready, SHEESH!

Also Freedom Beast is back,HOORAY!

Gotham Academy ish 11

Good story...okay art. Not bad art mind you, but compared to the two I read up top the difference is staggering.

Whereas I read 3 DC comics and had a GOOD old time!
Was just a DC week for me too. Picked up Hal and Pals and the Flash, though this arc of Flash has been weaker than the two prelude issues, sadly.

On the Marvel side though, I read The Unworthy Thor trade today. I don't know how Aaron does it, but he takes something that'd feel unnecessary and a waste of time for other comics and makes it so damn enjoyable that I just don't care how little it contributes to the overall story. Just four more issues of The Mighty Thor and I'll be all caught up.

Though because of all the side-stories, the Thor section of my shelf looks weird as hell. The two oversized hardcovers for Thor: God of Thunder, then the tiny paperback of the Thor: Original Sin tie-in, then another big-ass hardcover, then tiny paperback of Thors: Secret Wars tie-in, then eventually another big hardcover when The Mighty Thor releases that later this year. That'll get followed by another tiny paperback for Unworthy Thor, and then whatever hardcover collects Mighty Thor vol 3 and 4.

Thanks for making it easy, Marvel! :thumbsup:

Infinity

Or the first issue/chapter of this event's collection. I thought, since Thanos' cronies debut in this (I think) and they're showing up in Infinity War, I'll read up on them.

But i only made it to the end of the first issue because I have no clue what's going on. Something about incursions and Builders and some Swan character that isn't explained. It's inaccessible garbage and another example of how someone unfamiliar with previous events is completely lost without reading a dozen other books.

Fuck this shit. I'll wait for Infinity War.

Infinity

Or the first issue/chapter of this event's collection. I thought, since Thanos' cronies debut in this (I think) and they're showing up in Infinity War, I'll read up on them.

But i only made it to the end of the first issue because I have no clue what's going on. Something about incursions and Builders and some Swan character that isn't explained. It's inaccessible garbage and another example of how someone unfamiliar with previous events is completely lost without reading a dozen other books.

Fuck this shit. I'll wait for Infinity War.
The "incursions" means that different Earths of different multiverses are smashing together and only the Illuminati think they're qualified to know/do anything about it. But there are a bunch of rules and details to that which need prior Avengers/New Avengers issues to explain.

It's part of Hickman's Avengers run that I'm pretty sure was foisted on him to "do something with Thanos since we got Guardians coming out and he's in it!" IMO Infinity is a completely worthless and bloated section of the story, and different parts of it end in anti-climaxes or deus ex machinas. You've confirmed that it doesn't work standalone, and I already knew it's a waste of time if you're reading that three-year story arc.

Honestly, large chunks of those runs feel like padding, to the point that I feel only the very first New Avengers book and then Time Runs Out and Secret Wars are worth reading, because just before Time Runs Out we get Original Sin, and that puts the whole Marvel universe in a blender, so even if you had been reading Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers up to that point, you have no idea what's going on and need to pick up the pieces from whatever Reed Richards was doing, or from Black Widow interrogating Amadeus Cho.

That, and Hickman doesn't like to explain things, I've noticed. Which is great for his Image series, East of West, but when his Marvel stuff is collected, it suffers a little from not having the "summary of what's happened so far" that you get at the beginning of the floppy comics.[DOUBLEPOST=1501237830,1501237717][/DOUBLEPOST]
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD'S GLORIOUS ASS! Heh, but yeah its a pretty arc.
I might try going to my comic store today and seeing if they have the issues, but I kinda doubt it. Superman is apparently popular enough at my store that Action Comics and Superman titles both sell out pretty quickly after their Wednesday release. So I might be stuck just reading online since DC takes forever to put out a trade.

I should probably just start pulling Action Comics again. I got annoyed with Jurgens during the whole fake Clark Kent thing, but now things are picking up and the next few solicits look to be significant.

The "incursions" means that different Earths of different multiverses are smashing together and only the Illuminati think they're qualified to know/do anything about it. But there are a bunch of rules and details to that which need prior Avengers/New Avengers issues to explain.

It's part of Hickman's Avengers run that I'm pretty sure was foisted on him to "do something with Thanos since we got Guardians coming out and he's in it!" IMO Infinity is a completely worthless and bloated section of the story, and different parts of it end in anti-climaxes or deus ex machinas. You've confirmed that it doesn't work standalone, and I already knew it's a waste of time if you're reading that three-year story arc.

Honestly, large chunks of those runs feel like padding, to the point that I feel only the very first New Avengers book and then Time Runs Out and Secret Wars are worth reading, because just before Time Runs Out we get Original Sin, and that puts the whole Marvel universe in a blender, so even if you had been reading Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers up to that point, you have no idea what's going on and need to pick up the pieces from whatever Reed Richards was doing, or from Black Widow interrogating Amadeus Cho.

That, and Hickman doesn't like to explain things, I've noticed. Which is great for his Image series, East of West, but when his Marvel stuff is collected, it suffers a little from not having the "summary of what's happened so far" that you get at the beginning of the floppy comics.
Yeah, a friend of mine just told me on Facebook that I'd need to read the rest of Hickman's run to understand what's going on. My response was basically, "If that's the case, then it should be listed as Volume 5 or 6 or something, not a standalone."

Yeah, a friend of mine just told me on Facebook that I'd need to read the rest of Hickman's run to understand what's going on. My response was basically, "If that's the case, then it should be listed as Volume 5 or 6 or something, not a standalone."
Marvel didn't understand what Hickman was doing, so the reading order for the individual volumes is so screwed up that I have the books, but not all the issues, if that makes any sense.

The Avengers and New Avengers tie-ins are numbered as Infinity or Prelude to Infinity, but then you have to jump around three different paperbacks instead of the giant ass hardcover you borrowed. I wouldn't worry about it; it's a page-turner that ultimately ends in a whimper and is easily the weakest part of Hickman's epic. If you're curious about Thanos's followers, just Wiki them from the names at the cast page of the hardcover. We don't even know if any of them will show up in the movie.

Then go read that Thor volume you picked up, cause that's fucking great.

Secret Weapons from Valiant, which full disclosure I got the first two issues directly from after visiting their offices in NY during an 8 hour layover before my vacation.

That out of the way, it's great. Like most Valiant books. Livewire is a great character and the new characters are interesting and well developed with some fun psi-powers.